Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:43 PM

57 posts, read 263,148 times

Advertisements

One other quick question for delray patty...what do you think of the elementary school system in the Poconos? I looked at some of the grade cards at greatschools and they seemed pretty mediocre. Any good elementary schools there for my little munchkin(s)?

Thanks!

PMMD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 10:31 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times
Smile pmichaelmd

Hi, well my youngest was the only one to go to a "grammar school" We moved
into Pa. when he was in the 5th grade..He went to Middle Smithfield Elementary. It's right on Route 209 near St. John's Church. He finished the
fifth grade there and they were building a brand new middle school J.T.
Lambert on Route 209 going toward East Stroudsburg..He was the first 6th
grade class in the school...I volunteered there...nice school, nice teachers
and it wasn't overcrowded then...but that was some years ago...Both my
sons graduated from East Strousburg High School....I didn't have any problems except with one "stupid" teacher who made a very nasty remark to
my older son..He taught an elective senior year class in psychology and when
he found out my son came from Jersey City, N.J. he eluded to the fact that
he was probably doing drugs, did them at one point and also drank...I was
furious at this remark and we had a conference on this and got it straightened
out..He did apologize...other than that they liked it..both my sons had come
from private parochial schools in J.C. I understand the middle school is quite
crowded now as is the High School although while we were living there they
did build a brand new high school up in Bushkill. I heard there are plans to
build or add on to the south East Stroudsburg HIgh School...Wish I could
help you more but my youngest graduated in l999 so it's been a while. I
would call the school and see if you can visit during session....that's what I
did..

Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times
Smile Poconos

PMichaelMD
Here's another tip go on to the Pocono Record (the local newspaper) website
www.poconorecord.com. they give you the latest news on the Poconos.
You can learn a lot about the place by the newspaper...I still say give it a
shot..but by all means "scout" out the area some day..try to go up during the
week when the traffic isn't as bad and drive around...

Old 09-06-2007, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
Default East Stroudsburg

Just wondering if you have heard of any religious new movements or cult like groups in this area?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichaelmd View Post
Can you tell me exactly what you don't like about E. Stroudsburg? I'm considering a move there to work at Poconos Medical Center and would probably be living in Middle Smithfield (Great Bear, CCoP, or Reserve @ Pond Creek). Any particular gripes about those areas or the area surrounding the hospital? Is it still "safe" for children as I'd be raising my family there?

Thanks!

PMMD
I agree with Delray Patty.Also, as we have mentioned on here...CCOP has had issues with land. Who owns it. The people thought they did, and they don't even own their footprint on some, I don't think all.
They were fooled as they saw stakes in the properties...........
People who did landscaping are very mad, plus they paid taxes on their (?) lots. I would suggest one of the nice area, that a lot of lawyers live in is in Cherry Valley. It is out of town, yet easy enought to get to the hospital.
A well respected area. You then wouldn't have to climb any mountains to work. Blue Mt. has a nice development. 209 is one traffic jam after another.
Crime also is out that way entering communities.
Go South of Stroudsburg, or to Cherry Valley for homes.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Just wondering if you have heard of any religious new movements or cult like groups in this area?
Absolutely none........Wonder why you are asking?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:02 PM

[quote=pmichaelmd;73655]One other quick question for delray patty...what do you think of the elementary school system in the Poconos? I looked at some of the grade cards at greatschools and they seemed pretty mediocre. Any good elementary schools there for my little munchkin(s)?
Ok to add a few things for you........I'm not Delray Patty though.

Now that I have read the postings from start to finish.........I am inclined to direct you to two areas.
The one you like, Great Bear, would probably be with people like you ,who do not tend to leave their children home, while they travel far to work.....( one parent home anyway) Of the few doctors I know working out of PMC, none lived in a development. One used the private school in town also for his children.
I do know that a few lawyers live in the Cherry Valley area. There are well kept homes there on big acreage. Not a development, but an area.........
I don't know of any one in your field who lives in Blue Mt Estates....( but, I am not an expert on where people live)
You might want to go on 209 S and have lunch or dinner at the Stone Bar Inn ( a wonderful, greatly raved about small dining spot) where lawyers, and doctors do mingle.
Ask a few important questions to other friendly guests there.
I'm not sure that the traffic wouldn't be an issue to you on your travels back and forth to PMC. from Great Bear.
My daughter worked for years for a few of the doctors too........
Personally, I'd ask informtion on Cherry Valley, and I'd have a nice dinner at the Stone Bar Inn.

Last edited by Summering; 09-06-2007 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: words

Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
What medical specialty, may I ask? I hope PMC has improved over the years, because my dealings (both personal and EMS) with their ER have been absolutely awful.

You can always go the private school route, that's what I do. My children attend Faith Christian School, a nondenominational school in Roseto, and it is tops. They even have busing from the 'burgs, Pleasant Valley, and a parent-run bus from Pocono Mountain.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 AM

But they have expanded ER and added a Trauma Center now and a
Heart Center also. Things are looking up for PMC.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
But they have expanded ER and added a Trauma Center now and a
Heart Center also. Things are looking up for PMC.
Unfortunately, some of what I have seen over the past many years of contact with PMC has been awful. I hope they continue to upgrade and I wish them much success. However, the fact remains that they are the 'only game in town' in the immediate area hospital wise unless you want to go to NJ, the Lehigh Valley, Carbon County, Wayne County, or the Scranton outlying area. That lack of 'competition' so to speak does not raise the bar enough IMO. Of course they wanted a trauma center and heart center - they were having so many MedEvac and PennSTAR flights for those particular patients it was getting ridiculous how many patients needed to be shipped out, plus Pocono weather necessitated many serious patients being transferred by ground ambulance.

They are still plagued with bad publicity from the alleged retaliatory firing of the infectious disease physician who honestly reported nosocomial infection rates as well as the overtime wage lawsuit which was settled a few months back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania