Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:07 PM

222 posts, read 715,061 times

Advertisements

This summer my husband and I are planning to take a road trip across Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh. We are interested in seeing "roadside America type attractions, historical sites, beautiful scenery and farmland. We also like diners so if you could recommend any, that would be great.

My husband is a railroad buff so any neat train stations or tourist railroads would be of interest. We would also like to know if there are any county fairs or festivals that would be fun to visit.

Thank you for any info you can give us.

galee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galee View Post
This summer my husband and I are planning to take a road trip across Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh. We are interested in seeing "roadside America type attractions, historical sites, beautiful scenery and farmland. We also like diners so if you could recommend any, that would be great.

My husband is a railroad buff so any neat train stations or tourist railroads would be of interest. We would also like to know if there are any county fairs or festivals that would be fun to visit.

Thank you for any info you can give us.

galee
Up in northwestern Pennsylvania is the Kinzua Bridge State Park. When the bridge was built, it was the world's longest and tallest railroad bridge. (A large segment of it collapsed during a tornado in 2003.)

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the photo. My husband will love it.

galee

Old 03-06-2011, 11:55 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
If he is a railroad buff, make sure you go to Steamtown National Historic site.
Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Roadside attractions try, Roadside America and Hershey World.
Roadside America, Inc.
HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE WORLD Attraction

Also, Cats of the World and the Grand Canyon of PA
Visit Us
A Guide to The PA Grand Canyon, Wellsboro PA, and Tioga County PA. Lodging, Attractions, Restaurants, Shopping and more.

When are you taking the trip? Carnivals and fair recommendations really depends on when you are going. One of my favorite fairs is the Wayne County fair in August, but that won't help if you are taking the trip in July.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 AM

These are exactly the kinds of places we would like to see on our road trip. I am really excited about "Cats of the World." When we went to North Carolina, we went to a private wild animal ranch, driving through in our car and feeding zebras, llamas, emus and pot bellied pigs. What a time we had!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Galee

Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Altoona Railroaders Museum and the Horseshoe Curve

Allegheny Portage Railroad.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,921 times
There is train excursion through the old oil well exploration areas and area parks, very interesting history.
All Aboard the OC & T Railroad

Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 AM

Thank you Davros and Crisps for your suggestions about the Horseshoe Curve and O C and T Railroad No doubt my husband is going to love this trip!

Does anyone have suggestions about beautiful country routes to drive through? How about the famous Pennsylvania diners? I am also interested in quirky museums, historic sites and attractions like in the roadside America programs.

Galee

Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 AM

30,528 posts, read 16,226,596 times
not sure what direction you're coming from but rte 6 has some awesome stretches. There's a train just outside of Wellsboro that gives rides, some with dinner and a mystery. And there's a lot of old style diners along that route, including one in Wellsboro. But that's the northern part of the state and then you'd have cut south someplace to get to Pitts.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
here's my thread from last year
we ended up taking 30 for long stretches but ultimately diverting to falling water
How long does it take to drive 30, Philly to Pitt?
gravity hill was our kitschy stop
hope to do another one this year, maybe 22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania