Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:31 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Sheesh, how awful....yanno, when I was working Construction (PA Heavy & Highway)...over 20 years ago, I remember a big part of Clinton's campaign then, was infostructure, meaning, taking a serious look at all our bridges and roads. Once elected in, he never gave it another thought....does anyone remember how he emphasized the importance of infostructure duing his campaign?

When they built our roads & bridges 40 - 60 years ago, they never expected the volumn of traffic that those structures are experiencing today. We've had several small two lane bridges collapse in PA, just in the Bucks County areas...and it takes them forever to rebuild them...there has been one out on Allentown Road for over a year? why? Because we are out of money.

Also, inspections do not necessitate the need for demand in more frequent and thorough examinations...as all infostructure in the U.S. is in dire need of repair and restructuring, due to wear & tear, & heavier volumns of traffic over the past 50 years, therefore, they've simply been ignorning this issue and blatenly keeping their fingers crossed.

It is both tragic and sad that this happened...which should make all our state employees take a more serious look at all of our bridge structures and over passes....but also, preventative maintenance and more man power for this immediate need.

I remember speaking with a state inspector way back then. He commented about how our structures were shoddy and in dire need of repair then, so much so, that most of them are accidents waiting to happen. Personally, I don't know how are state politicans can go to sleep at night, worrying about issues such as this and when and where will it happen?

Sad...but this is another example of how state employees cut funding for this specific need of our public, to line their pockets...robbing Peter to Pay Paul....very sad.

This should send up huge flags about all our other sevices, which have fallen short and victim to cut backs....

Remember the huge traffic pile up during a snow storm on I-78 in PA last winter? All because, our leaders do not know they're jobs...they continually cut back on our road services, which include plowing, equipment for road maintenance...and most importantly, man power...which includes but is not limited to police and ambulance emergency responders. Let alone, snow plows and cinders. That traffic jam was an embarrasement and should have NEVER happened.

Govener Ed Rendell oversees a budget of 22 billion dollars? What are they doing with that money? Now he wants to further impose tolls on Rt. 80 and sell the Turnpike and/or raise tolls, and also toll roads in Philadelphia???? Yanno, what is going to happen...that money will go elsewhere.

And this accident that happened yesterday, will be written off, after the blame game becomes a deterrent from the real issue (preventative maintenance) which is no longer a realization. It will be interesting to sit back and ponder Who they will use as a scape goat on this one? Not to mention...I don't even believe our politicans even considered this one? I don't think they realize that this is one of their job specifications. Which is really scary....do they know what they're doing? The people we are voting into office, do not know their jobs...let alone oversee our budgets properly.

So, when your tempted to blame & point fingers at opposing parties, remember and take into serious consideration...they are all individualists & corrupt, they really don't have a clue about their job discriptions anymore....and I ponder when they will outsource the employment of inspections of all our infostructure?

Road and bridge repair is in dire need of re-evaluation...but we have no money....where are our taxes going folks....?

Oh, and let me remind you...here in PA, politicians back then, wanted to impose a tax (which they passed) on gas, (that was during the great gas shortage, when everyone was alocated a certain day they were allowed to purchase gas according to the last number of their license plate..odd or even) which was supposed to be allocated for road and bridge repair....but it was at the end of all their terms & a new and upcoming election year, so monies collected was, of course, allocated in different directions, instead of what they were meant for. Now they want to do the same thing again, but as always, the money will be realined and misused. They will only do surface repairs...etc. Like resurfacting the roads which is a quick fix and usually only lasts 2-4 years depending on winters, and how harsh they are...remember, all structures move, due to the heaving and settleing of ground from freezing.

Please know, the life span of concrete roads...for the materials they made and used back then, was 15 to 20 years...the life span of black top is 7 - 10 - 12 years...if done properly...not merely resurfaced blacktop.... now consider ground heaving from freezing and thawing, and it's been years and years...our structures have held up very well considering the length of time they've endured....but are now, most certainly accidents waiting to happen.

Everytime a political leader imposes new taxs...it is essential those taxes are used for the purposes they were imposed...

Now it's to late, lives have been lost, and it will be interesting to see, what happens. Watch the blame game start...

But keep in mind, we are much safer now, then we were before 911
Sheesh and we don't even have the money to maintain our roads and bridges properly....?????

Let me remind you, if 911 wasn't specific need to take a closer look at closing off our boarders and monitoring immigration more closely...then, this bridge collapse will not be a message either.
Just goes to show you how unaware people are of what is REALLY going on

Sincerely
Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 06:34 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,292 times
They just don't build stuff like they used to anymore. Houses are slapped together using the minimum standard by "carpenters" who can't read a blueprint.
Todays cars are half plastic and 1,000 lbs. lighter than they were 50 years ago.

I can only assume that todays bridge designers and builders have also found ways to build them cheaper and lighter than they were in years past.

And don't forget, every public project in the USA, the contract has to be awarded to the lowest bidder. ( it is always a good feeling when driving over a bridge to know that it was built by the guy who did it cheaper.
E

Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
They just don't build stuff like they used to anymore. Houses are slapped together using the minimum standard by "carpenters" who can't read a blueprint.
Todays cars are half plastic and 1,000 lbs. lighter than they were 50 years ago.

I can only assume that todays bridge designers and builders have also found ways to build them cheaper and lighter than they were in years past.

And don't forget, every public project in the USA, the contract has to be awarded to the lowest bidder. ( it is always a good feeling when driving over a bridge to know that it was built by the guy who did it cheaper.
E
yes, I tell you true, knowing what I know about construction...well, simply said, it gives me the hebbie jebbies to be stuck on a bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania