Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 AM

96 posts, read 165,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why some get the reaction you complained about:

"This wouldn't be allowed where I'm from."
"Why aren't there more stores?"
"I really miss that Eritrean restaurant, someone should open one here."
"Where's the gourmet coffee shoppe?"
"Why is that man allowed to have such a big pick-up?"
"The houses here are crappy."
"Why are there so many trees?"
"Those people shouldn't be allowed to park their work vehicle where others can see it."
"Why are people allowed to paint their houses different colors than their neighbors?"
"Why are farmers allowed to let their cows smell?"
" Tractors drive too slow."
"Officer, Officer, Officer a man just carried an assault machine gun into that house, he was wearing an orange vest."

You now have some reasons. No I'm not from PA (now, I grew up in NWPA) but we have the same issues here in SoMD with people from closer to DC that move here. You can add things like: "I'm going to call my Congressman if you don't make the marsh stop smelling bad", "Those watermen shouldn't be allowed to crab in front of my house on the Bay", "Yes, I know my house is below mean high tide but why does it flood so much?".
Great list. I would add:

"These people go to the grocery store without any makeup."
"Can't someone do something about all of these deer? They are ruining my flowers."
"People are wearing jeans. Everywhere."
"Isn't burning a fire in a pit a hazard?"
"Hunting is cruel and should be banned."
"Fishing is torture and should be banned."
"Why are there no cell towers in the state forest?"
"I'm looking to rent a rustic cabin for the weekend. Master suite, hot tub, cable, internet access, and a bathroom on every level."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 37,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The problem is that not everybody from NYC is from NYC. We get the posers, the wannabes, the stooges who think that by wearing Yankees caps( with Lakers jerseys and Tampa Bay Bucs jackets( What is with that anyway?) and the tatoos and bling that they are somehow respected by pretending to be from NYC. Maybe the closest they got to NYC is North Jersey or they visited relatives there when they were kids. Big deal.
You see some guy trying to look gangsta and see that he's just a goof and you start havinga negative opinion of NYC. I tell myself that probably 80% of yankees cap wearers have never lived in NYC and probably never attended a home game but that still hurts NYC's image. It makes me like Jersey even less.
So please remember when you hear some local complaining and beinga jerk, theres a good chance he's moved here and isn't from Pa. Or maybe he is. But the next time you see somebody who says he's from NYC and is being obnoxious do us both a favor and set him straight.
And tell them that they look like fools trying to pass themselves off as gang bangers and acting tough. Real gang bangers would eat these guys alive and they aren't fooling anybody. You left NYC and North jersey to get AWAY from real gang bangers, no blame on you but we all know it.
Thank you well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,398 times
Not to beat a dead horse, but to the OP, isn't most/almost all of the infrastructure/education/crime problems in Monroe County directly related to former NY residents moving in? Isn't that basically a fact? I mean it isn't undesirables from Pike County moving down. It isn't tons of ppl from Scranton moving in that are putting too much strain on smaller roads. It isn't people from Allentown moving there that are overloading the schools. Is it?

Sounds like ppl have a right to complain.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
The social calendar for my city is completely blank. The local weekly has to list church services and support group meetings just to have something to print.

Last night I did go to a community theater musical. This weekend I will go to a live painting and burlesque show at a factory that has been converted into art studios and galleries. That factory is the only encouraging development I've seen in years.
but the type of amusement you're describing is dependent on others. There's not a lot of 'others' in small towns. Go for a walk in one of the parks (ever been to Rickets Glen or any of the other parks near Wlmpt?) check out antique shops, not to buy but just for fun. Find a covered bridge or 2. Cameras are relatively cheap now. Take pics of every flower, wild or domestic, you find. Or tree or bug or cloud.......

other stuff too but gotta get ready for work. Point is, amuse yourself!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York City Mom View Post
Thank you well said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
while you'll never be accepted for being a yankees fan, Philly is probably a good place for you to start living in PA. 10% of the city's population is puerto rican, 44% african american, and the lifestyle isn't as dramatically different as most other areas of the state.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:07 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
Try Philly.

You'd be better off staying in urban areas.

I'm from upstate NY, and frankly we hate NYC and it's people as well. Mainly for all of the reasons already listed (look at all of the quotes made by other posters).

When I was living upstate, every NYC-er would treat us like hillbilly garbage, throw trash on our town streets, curse at us, and show off their big money and cars. Every tourist season made me want to invite them to "hunt" with me in the nice, quiet and secluded woods.

And what's worse, that reputation hurts upstaters and North-easterners in general. People around the country think that everybody from NY state is like that, if not everybody from the northeast.

Frankly, you have a lot of proving to do. And I don't envy you. Just be extremely cautious of the over-privileged, high and mighty, know-it-all attitude and you may just fit in somewhere.

Remember, if you are moving somewhere new, be like THEM, don't try to make them be like you.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:59 PM

108 posts, read 254,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
but the type of amusement you're describing is dependent on others. There's not a lot of 'others' in small towns. Go for a walk in one of the parks (ever been to Rickets Glen or any of the other parks near Wlmpt?) check out antique shops, not to buy but just for fun. Find a covered bridge or 2. Cameras are relatively cheap now. Take pics of every flower, wild or domestic, you find. Or tree or bug or cloud.......

other stuff too but gotta get ready for work. Point is, amuse yourself!
Yes, I've been to Ricketts Glen, although its trails are too steep for me now. I've also visited antique shops in Lewisburg. This summer I've been exploring the state, visiting caves and scenic railroads. It requires a lot of driving to reach anything interesting.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:48 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrobbins View Post
It requires a lot of driving to reach anything interesting.
Not if you "amuse yourself," as a prior poster said.

That seems to be the biggest difference, to me, between those who enjoy living away from the urban/suburban scene and those who do not.

Things that I did today for fun that required no $ or driving:

-early morning bike ride with my daughter
-watched birds from my porch
-weeded my vegetable garden
-made lavender tea
-read a library book
-got some sun on the hammock
-played catch with my dog
-chatted with a neighbor on the way to the post office

This evening we will probably light our patio torches and play cards like we did last night.

I haven't driven my car in 3 days, which is very typical.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM

885 posts, read 1,521,348 times
And to the original poster, there are lots of transplants here in central PA, people looking for some space to do for themselves a little. People from New York and New Jersey and other places too.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 37,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Try Philly.

You'd be better off staying in urban areas.

I'm from upstate NY, and frankly we hate NYC and it's people as well. Mainly for all of the reasons already listed (look at all of the quotes made by other posters).

When I was living upstate, every NYC-er would treat us like hillbilly garbage, throw trash on our town streets, curse at us, and show off their big money and cars. Every tourist season made me want to invite them to "hunt" with me in the nice, quiet and secluded woods.

And what's worse, that reputation hurts upstaters and North-easterners in general. People around the country think that everybody from NY state is like that, if not everybody from the northeast.

Frankly, you have a lot of proving to do. And I don't envy you. Just be extremely cautious of the over-privileged, high and mighty, know-it-all attitude and you may just fit in somewhere.

Remember, if you are moving somewhere new, be like THEM, don't try to make them be like you.

your neighbors sold the land
to developers who built houses and advertised in the metro areas of N.Y.
and N.J. and they didn't mind taking all the money they got for their land
and moving to Florida or wherever" you can't blame people for moving out
of the city to raise children...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania