Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times

Advertisements

Ok, it's December... I decided to look on the PSU website for next May's graduation date because I had no information from my son yet. I find the dates, I plug the dates into travelocity.com and everything is booked already!

Maybe there are some hotels in State College that don't show up on the travel websites? Can anyone recommend any outlining towns along with hotels?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 AM

251 posts, read 1,312,257 times
Perhaps it would be easier if we knew where you were coming from....are you flying in, driving in?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:11 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Did you try the usual hotel search engines like orbitz or travelocity? How about bed and breakfasts? Here's a link: http://www.bedandbreakfastpa.com/membtown_34.php (broken link) I know that even for the football games the hotels fill up as far south as Altoona.

If you have another child to go through this with, you'll know that the thing to do is to book the hotel room a year in advance. You can usually find that on the academic calendar. Just book several days if you aren't quite sure of the exact date and then back out of the ones that you don't need later. Congratualtions on your almost college graduate!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
We are flying in from FL for this and no more kids... he's the last to graduate!

I will take a look at the bed and breakfast link but I think I found something in Altoona. I guess we'd fly in there instead of State College? Which airport is better?

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:36 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Did you try the usual hotel search engines like orbitz or travelocity? How about bed and breakfasts? Here's a link: http://www.bedandbreakfastpa.com/membtown_34.php (broken link) I know that even for the football games the hotels fill up as far south as Altoona.

If you have another child to go through this with, you'll know that the thing to do is to book the hotel room a year in advance. You can usually find that on the academic calendar. Just book several days if you aren't quite sure of the exact date and then back out of the ones that you don't need later. Congratualtions on your almost college graduate!
This might help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I find the dates, I plug the dates into travelocity.com and everything is booked already!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 PM

Hmmmm......well.........the only thing I don't like is the drive from Altoona. Every time I have ever been on Route 220 it was slow going. There may be a quicker way but I am unfamiliar with it, nor would I be comfortable sending someone 'over the mountains' that was unfamiliar with the area. If it were me, I think I would be inclined to stay in DuBois....that is an hour from SC......but 322 is usually quicker. Maybe someone else will respond. There are many bed and breakfasts throughout the area though. You realize you will HAVE to rent a car.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Centre Hall PA is nice too....very small.....and you could check out the caves while you are there. It is closer to State College and has a B&B http://www.kellerhousebb.com

There was a nice place I saw on 322.....Mount Nittany Inn or something like that.....I googled it but didn't come up with the place.....I can't remember how far it was from SC....it had the most awesome view.

Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
I'd go to some of the vacation rental websites...we stayed in a home in Belleville (30 min over the mountian)...tried to find it for you, and couldn't!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:23 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I sent you over a great Altoona cottage, beautifully decorated and reasonable.
# 149423 it is open in May and is anywhere from $50 for two nights ( each night) to less for more nights taken.......hope this helps. I sent you a DM.........

Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
Centre Hall PA is nice too....very small.....and you could check out the caves while you are there. It is closer to State College and has a B&B http://www.kellerhousebb.com

There was a nice place I saw on 322.....Mount Nittany Inn or something like that.....I googled it but didn't come up with the place.....I can't remember how far it was from SC....it had the most awesome view.
You might mean the Nittany Lion Inn but being so close to State College, it is most likely booked also.

I did find them something reasonable that is open in May........and it would be their own little place, clean, nice inside, reasonable and with two tvs and a kitchen. Hope they try that one....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania