Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

The condition of Pennsylvania's bridges dragged the state's score down (second-worst in the United States). Otherwise, Pennsylvania ranked in the third quintile in poor-condition road mileage (21st), fatality rate (21st) and congestion (27th).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:49 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
That's an improvement over its usual ranking of #1, right?

Although I don't see the roads getting any better; other states' roads must be getting worse.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
They improved slightly under rendell afaik

Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Although I don't see the roads getting any better; other states' roads must be getting worse.
What's funny is, its "usual ranking of #1" is based on a survey, and as we all know, when things change gradually, perception always lags reality. When actual measurements are used instead of mere anecdotes, Pennsylvania fares better. In other words, when (meso)facts are used instead of opinions, Pennsylvania improves in the standings, which is more evidence that perception lags reality.

And like the article I linked to pointed out, PennDOT is aware of the bridge problem, and has made bridge rehabilitation its top priority. In fact, I recall PennDOT officials saying so after the I-35W bridge collapse in Minnesota. So if enough bridges get repaired, then Pennsylvania won't even be on the 10 worst list soon, considering its rankings in all other categories -- including poor-condition road mileage -- are mid-pack.

And if other states' roads are getting worse, then that's not our problem.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
A couple years ago, we drove from Erie to Denver, Colorado. We drove thru Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado. Then drove back thru those same states. In my opinion, the roads in PA. were better than any of those states. Indiana was the worst. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
A couple years ago, we drove from Erie to Denver, Colorado. We drove thru Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Colorado. Then drove back thru those same states. In my opinion, the roads in PA. were better than any of those states. Indiana was the worst. Just my 2 cents.
One thing I would like to see PennDOT do is make a list of all features on its Interstates that aren't designed or engineered to current Interstate standards, and make the necessary upgrades. Like if there's an interchange on I-81 that has on- and off-ramps that are too short, then upgrade the interchange by lengthening the ramps. Or, widen any segment of highway with four lanes by eight feet if there's less than four feet between the inner edge of the left lane and the median barrier, and widen any segment of highway with six or more lanes by 20 feet if there's less than 10 feet between the inner edge of the left lane and the median barrier.

Most Interstate segments in Pennsylvania are designed to current standards, but some are still not, and those need to be corrected. In fact, forget about building new Interstates altogether for a while, and upgrade the existing Interstates, particularly the four areas I'd talked about before: I-376 in Pittsburgh, I-76 in Philadelphia, I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike between the Allegheny Mountain and Blue Mountain Tunnels. Those four segments should get top priority.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Most Interstate segments in Pennsylvania are designed to current standards, but some are still not, and those need to be corrected. In fact, forget about building new Interstates altogether for a while, and upgrade the existing Interstates, particularly the four areas I'd talked about before: I-376 in Pittsburgh, I-76 in Philadelphia, I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike between the Allegheny Mountain and Blue Mountain Tunnels. Those four segments should get top priority.
I-99 is an Appalachian Development road so it's funded differently, for good or ill, that's why we had $55 million to eliminate three at-grade intersections in northern Lycoming County along US 15.

Here's one of the areas around Harrisburg where a through Interstate necks down to one lane and the stopgap fix: PennDOT unveils plan to improve York split area of I-83 - York Dispatch

Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Pennsylvania's location has a lot to do with it. Roads freeze in winter, thaw, refreeze, thaw, then refreeze again and again. That causes potholes to develop. Pa's location also means that its roads are heavily used by trucks going to and from the east coast to the west and south. One loaded tractor trailer is the equivalent of 400 automobiles in stress to bridges and roads. I also read that Pa has more paved roads than other states, those require constant resurfacing unlike dirt roads.
There are things they could do better. A lot of Penndot money gets siphoned off to big city mass transit to keep fares down. The turnpike was supposed to have payed for itself decades ago and be free now, but its revenue was just too good to pass up. Some lawmakers actually want to sell it off to cover the states budget crisis. Its lunacy. Some also want I 80 to be a toll road.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Seriously. Considering PA has more "paved" roads per sq. mile than any other state, I will always be surprised if it isn't #1. Thanks Great Depression/New Deal!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:10 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Indiana was the worst. Just my 2 cents.
Indiana's roads used to be spectacular. I wonder what the heck happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
One thing I would like to see PennDOT do is make a list of all features on its Interstates that aren't designed or engineered to current Interstate standards, and make the necessary upgrades.
Good God. That would take decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania