U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
6,511 posts, read 4,951,969 times
Reputation: 2445

Advertisements

Wealthiest Zip Codes in PA

1. Gladwyne
2. Villanova
3. Merion
4. Washington Crossing
5. Dresher
6. Thornton
7. Richboro
8. Berwyn
9. Cherryville
10. Chadds Ford
11. Bradford Woods
12. Landenberg
13. Jamison
14. Chester Springs
15. Furlong
16. Warrendale
17. Wynnewood
18. Blue Bell
19. Upper St. Clair
20. Wayne
21. Lafayette Hill
22. Haverford
23. Glenmoore
24. Wexford
25. Presto
26. Newtown
27. Glen Mills
28. Bala Cynwyd
29. Fort Washington
30. Collegeville
31. Malvern
32. Devon
33. Lincoln University
34. Narberth
35. Huntingdon Valley
36. New Hope
37. Doylestown
38. Downingtown
39. Exton
40. Bryn Mawr
41. Chalfont
42. Fogelsville
43. Newtown Square
44. West Chester (19382)
45. Ambler
46. Lower Makefield
47. Erwinna
48. Hilltown
49. Venetia
50. Southampton
51. Wallingford
52. Harleysville
53. Langhorne
54. West Chester (19380)
55. Swarthmore
56. Paoli
57. Fox Chapel
58. Kennett Square
59. Avondale
60. Schwenksville
61. Cranberry Township
62. Murrysville
63. Flourtown
64. Pipersville
65. Springfield
66. North Wales
67. Warrington
68. Mars
69. New Freedom
70. Easton
71. Wyncote
72. Thorndale
73. Center Valley
74. Cheltenham
75. Blandon
76. Schnecksville
77. Oreland
78. Glenside
79. Orefield
80. Coopersburg
81. Havertown
82. Gilbertsville
83. Perkiomenville
84. Colmar
85. West Grove
86. King of Prussia
87. Wyomissing
88. Society Hill/ Old City, Philadeplhia
89. Audubon
90. Kintnersville
91. Ottsville
92. Allison Park
93. Macungie
94. Line Lexington
95. Gibsonia
96. Media
97. Lansdale
98. Boiling Springs
99. Toughkenamon
100. Cedarhurst/ Mt. Lebanon


Wealthiest Zip Code by Metro

Philadelphia- 1. Gladwyne
Lehigh Valley- 9. Cherryville
Pittsburgh- 11. Bradford Woods
York- 69. New Freedom
Reading- 75. Blandon
Harrisburg- 98. Boiling Springs

Number of Wealthiest Zip Codes per Metro

Philadelphia- 76 total
Pittsburgh- 13
Lehigh Valley- 8
Reading- 2
York- 1
Harrsiburg- 1

The ONLY city in the state to have a Zip Code in the top 100 is Philadelphia with the Society Hill/Old City Zip Code at #88

Highest Income Zip Codes in Pennsylvania State (PA) | Localistica.com

Wealthiest Counties

1. Chester
2. Montgomery
3. Bucks
4. Delaware
5. Cumberland
6. Allegheny
7. Butler
8. Northampton
9. Dauphin
10. Pike


Wealthiest Counties per Metro

Philadelphia- 4
Pittsburgh- 2
Harrisburg- 2
Lehigh Valley- 1
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre- 1

List of Pennsylvania counties by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Interesting that Zip Code wealth doesn't necessarily correlate with County Wealth

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-27-2013 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM
 
Location: The Flagship City
1,911 posts, read 1,302,210 times
Reputation: 1059
The resource below shows Skytop, PA as the wealthiest area so I guess the Poconos are the wealthiest, not Philly. This is if you examine income per person in a zip code.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you look at highest median household income, Villa Maria is the wealthiest and surprisingly it is in Western PA.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Either way it appears that Philly is not the wealthiest

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
 
Location: M.D. Pa.
6,337 posts, read 4,515,787 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
The resource below shows Skytop, PA as the wealthiest area so I guess the Poconos are the wealthiest, not Philly. This is if you examine income per person in a zip code.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you look at highest median household income, Villa Maria is the wealthiest and surprisingly it is in Western PA.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Either way it appears that Philly is not the wealthiest
Skytop with a population of 87 and Villa Maria with a population of 124.

But even if, for the sake of argument, Greater Philadelphia did not have the #1 wealthiest zip code in the state, it is still, by absolute leaps and bounds, the wealthiest metro in the state.

But be a contrarian if it floats your boat.

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 02:01 AM
 
3,861 posts, read 2,896,554 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Wealthiest Zip Code by Metro
Philadelphia- 1. Gladwyne
Lehigh Valley- 9. Cherryville
Pittsburgh- 11. Bradford Woods
York- 69. New Freedom
Reading- 75. Blandon
Harrisburg- 98. Boiling Springs
Unfortunately you listed names of those zip codes and not the numbers. I always thought that 15238 was Fox Chapel, and I always believed it was the wealthiest community in Pittsburgh. My grandfather would always take his boat by Fox Chapel.

Median Household Income City Rank Based on ACS 2006-2010 data*
#2. $178,542 Fox Chapel, PA / 5,400
#22. $111,591 Bradford Woods, PA / 1,138

Interesting about Cherryville being the wealthiest zip code in Lehigh Valley. There are only about 600 homes there. My ancestor lived there shortly after he arrived in 1750. After the Gnadenhuetten massacre of 1755 he was always requesting troops be stationed there if the Indians came through the Lehigh Pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
 
Location: The Flagship City
1,911 posts, read 1,302,210 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Skytop with a population of 87 and Villa Maria with a population of 124.

But even if, for the sake of argument, Greater Philadelphia did not have the #1 wealthiest zip code in the state, it is still, by absolute leaps and bounds, the wealthiest metro in the state.

But be a contrarian if it floats your boat.
Actually as Paco has posted previously Philadelphia is the poorest county in PA. The point of my previous post was to point out that the wealthiest areas in PA and nationally are small, homogenous areas. I agree that as a whole, Philadelphia has the largest number of wealthy people in PA, but since Philadelphia is the "richest" and "poorest" at the same time this just shows a larger power gap than other areas. This is more of an issue than a benefit and I don't like when people tout their area as being "wealthy." Especially when at the same time there is a significant amount of urban poverty in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: M.D. Pa.
6,337 posts, read 4,515,787 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Unfortunately you listed names of those zip codes and not the numbers. I always thought that 15238 was Fox Chapel, and I always believed it was the wealthiest community in Pittsburgh. My grandfather would always take his boat by Fox Chapel.

Median Household Income City Rank Based on ACS 2006-2010 data*
#2. $178,542 Fox Chapel, PA / 5,400
#22. $111,591 Bradford Woods, PA / 1,138

Interesting about Cherryville being the wealthiest zip code in Lehigh Valley. There are only about 600 homes there. My ancestor lived there shortly after he arrived in 1750. After the Gnadenhuetten massacre of 1755 he was always requesting troops be stationed there if the Indians came through the Lehigh Pass.
Pittsburgh zip codes tend to be huge. 15238 covers not just Fox Chapel, but O'Hara, Indiana, and even parts of Shaler, thereby "diluting" relatively small Fox Chapel's wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Actually as Paco has posted previously Philadelphia is the poorest county in PA. The point of my previous post was to point out that the wealthiest areas in PA and nationally are small, homogenous areas. I agree that as a whole, Philadelphia has the largest number of wealthy people in PA, but since Philadelphia is the "richest" and "poorest" at the same time this just shows a larger power gap than other areas. This is more of an issue than a benefit and I don't like when people tout their area as being "wealthy." Especially when at the same time there is a significant amount of urban poverty in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is definitely not the poorest County in Pennsylvania. In fact, there are 22 Counties in Pennsylvania with lower per capita incomes:

List of Pennsylvania counties by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia also covers a much wider socioeconomic range than any of the poorer PA counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: The Flagship City
1,911 posts, read 1,302,210 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Pittsburgh zip codes tend to be huge. 15238 covers not just Fox Chapel, but O'Hara, Indiana, and even parts of Shaler, thereby "diluting" relatively small Fox Chapel's wealth.


Philadelphia is definitely not the poorest County in Pennsylvania. In fact, there are 22 Counties in Pennsylvania with lower per capita incomes:

List of Pennsylvania counties by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia also covers a much wider socioeconomic range than any of the poorer PA counties.
If you look at it by poverty rate, Philadelphia is by far the poorest county in PA. Here is what Paco posted previously in another thread:

28.4% Philadelphia
20.7% Centre
19.9% Fayette
18.4% Indiana
16.5% Lawrence
16.4% Erie
16.2% Columbia
15.5% Luzerne
14.8% Lehigh
14.8% Monroe
14.3% Blair
14.1% Crawford
14.1% Clearfield
14.0% Lycoming
14.0% Cambria
13.8% Pennsylvania State Average
13.7% Berks
13.6% Allegheny
13.5% Lackawanna
13.1% Somerset
13.0% Mercer
12.8% Dauphin
12.6% Armstrong
12.2% Beaver
11.8% Northumberland
11.5% Schuylkill
11.2% Carbon
11.1% York
11.1% Lebanon
10.9% Lancaster
10.5% Westmoreland
10.4% Washington
10.3% Franklin
9.9% Delaware
9.9% Northampton
8.6% Butler
8.1% Adams
7.6% Cumberland
7.2% Chester
6.5% Bucks
6.4% Montgomery

The numbers above are the poverty rates for each county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: M.D. Pa.
6,337 posts, read 4,515,787 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
If you look at it by poverty rate, Philadelphia is by far the poorest county in PA. Here is what Paco posted previously in another thread:

28.4% Philadelphia
20.7% Centre
19.9% Fayette
18.4% Indiana
16.5% Lawrence
16.4% Erie
16.2% Columbia
15.5% Luzerne
14.8% Lehigh
14.8% Monroe
14.3% Blair
14.1% Crawford
14.1% Clearfield
14.0% Lycoming
14.0% Cambria
13.8% Pennsylvania State Average
13.7% Berks
13.6% Allegheny
13.5% Lackawanna
13.1% Somerset
13.0% Mercer
12.8% Dauphin
12.6% Armstrong
12.2% Beaver
11.8% Northumberland
11.5% Schuylkill
11.2% Carbon
11.1% York
11.1% Lebanon
10.9% Lancaster
10.5% Westmoreland
10.4% Washington
10.3% Franklin
9.9% Delaware
9.9% Northampton
8.6% Butler
8.1% Adams
7.6% Cumberland
7.2% Chester
6.5% Bucks
6.4% Montgomery

The numbers above are the poverty rates for each county.
But poverty rate isn't the only measure of poorness. I'll certainly give you that Philadelphia is the most divided County in PA, but it also has, numbers-wise, large swaths of middle, and even upper-class, families and households. That's not something that can be said of Forest, Tioga, Snyder, Fayette, etc...

Also, that list is missing a ton of counties (including a few of the ones I named above) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: The Flagship City
1,911 posts, read 1,302,210 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
But poverty rate isn't the only measure of poorness. I'll certainly give you that Philadelphia is the most divided County in PA, but it also has, numbers-wise, large swaths of middle, and even upper-class, families and households. That's not something that can be said of Forest, Tioga, Snyder, Fayette, etc...

Also, that list is missing a ton of counties (including a few of the ones I named above) and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were higher.
Every list I have seen shows Philadelphia with the highest poverty rate by a rather large margin. Here is some supporting evidence of Philly's poverty:

Philadelphia has the highest rate of deep poverty - people with incomes below half of the poverty line - of any of the nation's 10 most populous cities. The annual salary for a single person at half the poverty line is around $5,700; for a family of four, it's around $11,700. Philadelphia's deep-poverty rate is 12.9 percent, or around 200,000 people.

The Philadelphia deep-poverty figure wasn't a complete surprise for antipoverty advocates, since the city already has the highest poverty rate - 28.4 percent - of any of America's biggest cities.

Of big cities, Phila. worst for people in deep poverty - Philly.com

You can slice it any way you want to, but the fact of the matter is that Philadelphia county and the city have a major poverty problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: M.D. Pa.
6,337 posts, read 4,515,787 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Every list I have seen shows Philadelphia with the highest poverty rate by a rather large margin. Here is some supporting evidence of Philly's poverty:

Philadelphia has the highest rate of deep poverty - people with incomes below half of the poverty line - of any of the nation's 10 most populous cities. The annual salary for a single person at half the poverty line is around $5,700; for a family of four, it's around $11,700. Philadelphia's deep-poverty rate is 12.9 percent, or around 200,000 people.

The Philadelphia deep-poverty figure wasn't a complete surprise for antipoverty advocates, since the city already has the highest poverty rate - 28.4 percent - of any of America's biggest cities.

Of big cities, Phila. worst for people in deep poverty - Philly.com

You can slice it any way you want to, but the fact of the matter is that Philadelphia county and the city have a major poverty problem.
I never said Philadelphia didn't have a major poverty problem. Your weird agenda against the city makes me laugh though. I noticed you switched the argument from "poverty among Pennsylvania Counties" to "poverty among large American cities."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top