Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:38 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times

Advertisements

Global warming has apparently improved the winter weather, so that we don't suffer the miserable winters of decades past. That said this state has nothing going for it and I would move in a heartbeat if it weren't for Family obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I can't vote because it's not a hell hole and it's not mediocre. I know because I've ventured out into the world and discovered it's really nice here. I enjoy the tolerance and respect for personal freedom here. I love all four seasons. The low cost of living shouldn't be taken for granted.

The reality is that our happiness is inside. People tend to be happy wherever they live and other people unhappy wherever they live. It's your attitude that matters. You can't feel positive about your surroundings if you're negative inside. Saying where you live has nothing going for it is like saying you don't have anything going for yourself.

You should definitely move. Don't let family keep you here. Today, It will help you grow and appreciate what's important. Maybe you'll find happiness elsewhere. Maybe you'll finally appreciate what you had here. You won't know until you venture out there into the world and give it a shot.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I have no family roots here.
I did think about moving when I retired but nope, not going to.

There's a lot to what Hopes said although I don't know as you haven't ventured out. Also don't know your age and what family relations you feel are holding you here.

I can't help but wonder if you're using family as an excuse to stay a place you don't like.

Bottom line: If you don't like it, leave. Not trying to be snarky. I didn't like where I grew up. Left and never looked back. Visited family, called on the phone, wrote letters, now there's more ways to keep in touch. Nobody should live where they're not happy.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:01 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't vote because it's not a hell hole and it's not mediocre. I know because I've ventured out into the world and discovered it's really nice here. I enjoy the tolerance and respect for personal freedom here. I love all four seasons. The low cost of living shouldn't be taken for granted.

The reality is that our happiness is inside. People tend to be happy wherever they live and other people unhappy wherever they live. It's your attitude that matters. You can't feel positive about your surroundings if you're negative inside. Saying where you live has nothing going for it is like saying you don't have anything going for yourself.

You should definitely move. Don't let family keep you here. Today, It will help you grow and appreciate what's important. Maybe you'll find happiness elsewhere. Maybe you'll finally appreciate what you had here. You won't know until you venture out there into the world and give it a shot.
I cant vote for these troll answers either for the same reasons. I was in Michigan until just yesterday so if you want to talk about hell, I'm here to answer your questions.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,075 times
I definitely would like to explore other parts of the country before settling down. But I think I'd always come back to PA. I grew up in Lancaster County and always thought it was boring and lame. However, I lived in Bloomsburg, PA for close to two years. And other than the Bloomsburg Fair, there is literally almost nothing to do there. The mall is run down and half the shops are empty. The closest place to shop is 45 minutes away. No Barnes & Noble, no Target, no Best Buy, etc. People who live there were excited when they built a Wal-Mart a few years back. Needless to say, I moved back to Lancaster and you won't hear me complain of boredom again.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Global warming has apparently improved the winter weather, so that we don't suffer the miserable winters of decades past. That said this state has nothing going for it and I would move in a heartbeat if it weren't for Family obligations.
Life is what you make of it. Sorry yours has turned out the way it has, but it's not PA's fault.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:38 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
I am originally from PA, but have no family left there. We decided to retire to SC, near Charlotte........I wish I were back in PA!! The weather might be better here, although this winter has been crappy and last summer was really hot for a month, but frankly I would take PA and it's people any day of the week. I could list many things as to why I would like to come back, but just say "Bless his/her heart" is as sarcastic backstabbing as everyone jokes about.

And although I always thought PA has some of the most terrible drivers, especially around Pgh, they are all peaches compared to down here! Unfortunately we are stuck down here now as we can't afford to move again, but know that PA is a wonderful state with wonderful people. If you are unhappy yes you need to move on and find somewhere you will be happy. Not being snarky, but very honest. And I do wish you all the best.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:28 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,529 times
This is a biased poll. Either way I vote, I'm not giving my answer but subscribing to how another person views Pennsylvania.

A fair and unbiased poll that everybody could cast their own view would be, "If it was not for your family ties, would you still choose to live in Pennsylvania?"

1. Yes
2. No
3. Uncertain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
There's no proof that global warming has affected Pennsylvania's winters. This state's old enough that you can easily find weather statistics well into the middle 1800s. If you look at the weather cycles, there are periods of warm winters, cold ones, and snowy ones every few decades. Just two years ago, we had one of the coldest winters on record. From the first week of November until the last week of February, we only had about two weeks worth of weather that was in the middle to upper thirties. The rest of that winter saw overnight lows of -5°F to 0°F with daytime highs of 10°F - 20°F, so it was unseasonably cold despite the "inconvenient truth" of "global warming..." I do not mind cold weather because I know how to dress. If I didn't know how to dress using natural fibers, I'd probably hate every climate that isn't like San Diego.

I can't think of any state that has a lot going for it. We've lost nearly all our manufacturing jobs over the past fifty years, inflation has outstripped wage increases to the point where two household incomes are required, as well as a slew of other problems most Americans didn't have to deal with prior to off shoring jobs and out of control inflation from the mid to late 70s onward.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. It's pretty common. I'm about as frustrated as they get. I lost my factory job in the mid to late 1990s. Then the house, the wife, and the kid, and I haven't found any replacement since that time for any of it. It's shattering, and I don't think that my life or personal feelings will ever be the same. It doesn't matter where I go because every state's the same due to lack of factory work. It's just minimum wage jobs in each state. I'm neither bright enough nor was I prepared for college, so that's not an option, and the bottom line is that nationwide, there are exponentially more job seekers than jobs that pay a gainful wage.

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 03-31-2013 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I love the Keystone State.

I was born in New York City and lived in Florida and New Jersey. Now I live in PA and plan on living here the rest of my life. I bought a beautiful 120 year old Victorian house in Philly's University City district ... and I like the huge variety of shops, retaurants, cultural amenities like museums and music venues, historic neighborhoods, nightlife, and the vibe of living in a big city. Outside Philly I love spending weekends in the mountains or taking drives to quaint towns like Gettysburg, New Hope, or Jim Thorpe.

Strike up the music, the band has begun
The Pennsylvania Polka
Pick out your partner and join in the fun!
The Pennsylvania Polka
It started in Scranton it's now Number One
The Pennsylvania Polka

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It started in Scranton it's now Number One
Sounds like my ego!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania