Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 21,259 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself, and my son are planning to make the move to PA. We have gone around and around about either moving to Northern Harford County or possibly York County, PA.

I know a lot of choices and we are really confused. Every time we visit in PA we fall in love all over again and I would love to move up there. We have found a few houses in the Dallastown area and some in Seven Valleys. My two big concerns are the schools and taxes. I know the internet says Dallastown schools are amazing and so on, but I want to hear it from people who actually live there. Lastly, are the taxes really that big of a difference??

My husband currently works in Baltimore, but if we choose to make the leap up there he will most likely transfer to Lancaster. Have I looked in Lancaster? I have, but I know even less about that area compared to the York County area. I currently attend college at Harford Community and have no plans on transferring any where. I should be done next summer and hope to find a decent job in the Medical Assistant field wherever we chose to relocate to in PA.

Any suggestions or information would be great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 02:03 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I've never been to either of those areas but comparing taxes isn't that simple.

There's income taxes, right to work taxes, school taxes, real estate taxes, maybe some others I've forgotten.

Since you'll be getting out of school next summer, less than a year, my advice is to just wait until then. No point in moving twice.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The income taxes in MD are higher. PA is a set rate while MD's is progressive. Also, MD Counties impose a "piggy back" income tax of up to 60% of the State rate. Top rate is around 11% or so.

Property taxes will be weird, PA taxes tend to be higher per assessment ratio (I paid my mother's property taxes the last few years she was alive and hers were only a few hundred less than mine on a house assessed 1/7 of mine here in MD).

PA and MD sales tax is both 6% but MD's covers more items (neither tax groceries. MD does tax clothes.).

As mentioned PA has some weird little local taxes.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 PM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
It's not really that hard to do a sample tax form for both places and see for yourself.

For most people, I don't think there is that big a difference between MD and PA taxes.

Maryland tax rates are definitely higher, but Maryland allows exemptions and deductions that reduce the income subject to tax. PA is a flat tax of 3.07% starting at dollar one. PA doesn't even allow deductions for 401k contributions.

Also, PA has additional income taxes not covered on the state form. (County income tax is part of the Maryland State form.) In PA, there is a local earned income tax of usually 1.0-1.3% in the areas you are looking at. (yatb.com)

The PA income tax rate is also likely to rise if the gubenatorial candidate currently leading in the polls is elected.

PA property taxes (including county and school district taxes) are higher than Maryland, but house prices tend to be a lot lower.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 18,643 times
My husband and own property in both MD and PA. Total taxes are similar. PA offers more in 1. You know where taxes are spent. School tax to school lottery to seniors. Plus pension checks are not taxed in PA. MD. taxes going in and out, taxes are put in the General Fund. Check out MD. rain tax. I am for PA all the way. And I am a Maryland girl.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:29 AM

25 posts, read 51,526 times
Default Higher PA taxes but happy here

Yes! We moved from Baltimore County to York County almost 10 years ago. And yes, the PA taxes are MUCH higher than Baltimore, not sure what the other posters experiences are but this was the case for us. Baltimore does not have a school tax which is ridiculous here. Also, you have to pay separately for trash collection (and the vendor is determined by your township). Also, be prepared for the separate and huge water and sewer bills compared to Baltimore Co. I don't think my water bill in Baltimore was ever above $10 and the quarterly water bill here is about $120 ($140 for sewer and these are separate charges).

That being said, we are very happy with our property and the neighborhood. People here take care of their property and it is so pretty up here. We got more land then we would in MD and I feel safe here. There's not much in terms or restaurants and things to do but it's growing (we just got a Panera and Chipotle in Shrewsbury this December which people may laugh at but years ago there was nothing!).

I do love living in a town without a stop light!

Old 12-14-2014, 02:53 PM

45,328 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyCorner View Post
Yes! We moved from Baltimore County to York County almost 10 years ago. And yes, the PA taxes are MUCH higher than Baltimore, not sure what the other posters experiences are but this was the case for us. Baltimore does not have a school tax which is ridiculous here. Also, you have to pay separately for trash collection (and the vendor is determined by your township). Also, be prepared for the separate and huge water and sewer bills compared to Baltimore Co. I don't think my water bill in Baltimore was ever above $10 and the quarterly water bill here is about $120 ($140 for sewer and these are separate charges).

That being said, we are very happy with our property and the neighborhood. People here take care of their property and it is so pretty up here. We got more land then we would in MD and I feel safe here. There's not much in terms or restaurants and things to do but it's growing (we just got a Panera and Chipotle in Shrewsbury this December which people may laugh at but years ago there was nothing!).

I do love living in a town without a stop light!
MD most certainly does have school taxes, they're just buried in your County tax bill (most Counties list 50% or so going to schools). Same way with your trash collection. Your water and sewer bills in MD aren't going to stay low for much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania