Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,752 times

Advertisements

Mod note- This thread is from 2014

Currently in Eastern NC Greenville area and I am having the most difficult time to get the schools to comply to the needs of my children. I have 3 kids with Autism along with other issues. All their doctors are on board, written letters etc but because they have medical and educational separate, they are using it as an excuse to deny needed services. The schools are treating them like because they have Autism and LD requirements, putting them in a corner is easier then trying to actually teach them. I do believe they even inflated my sons scores so he no longer qualifies for an IEP even when his IQ tests that were done via Private Medical Psychiatrists proves he has learning disabilities. But again, they say they "considered" it but their tests done by a school psychologist proves that he is fine. Its a joke. My son went into Kindergarten on level and is entering 1st grade 75% behind. They rather suspend him from school or isolate him into the library since they do not want to provide him with special ed to help him. I am at my ropes end with them. No matter what I say, they do nothing but patronize me. If I continue to fight, my sons education will continue to lower and he will continue to suffer. My girls are having struggles too. We recently went to visit Hazelton, Wilkes Barre, Poconos etc to see how the towns are. Even though they are very different from what we are use to living like now, I am wanting to move for the better of my kids. I am hoping all the good things PA has to offer for kids with AUTISM is true and we can find somewhere with good public schools (or private) with a low crime area and affordable housing (less then 1000 a month). What cities are a good starting point? I do not like Wilkes Barre inner city schools but the area seems good. Just do not know what neighborhoods would be safe to live in for what school. Same goes for the any other cities. I am open to live anywhere as long as its safe and my kids are educated. I would need to be in a city or within a 30 minute drive to one with Occupational, Speech and Physical therapists to do in school and privately. I also will need developmental therapy and respite services as these are currently the services my kids receive. Are schools easier to deal with? Is it hard to get services when you have medical documentation to back up all things needed? What city neighborhood has low crime and schools with great education for Autism? Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-18-2018 at 08:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Check the website link below.

ASERT PA Autism

Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM

8 posts, read 15,916 times
Stay away from Franklin county. Proper school services are difficult to get and outside services are hard to find. I've heard good things about the Lancaster area. Contact the Autism Society of Greater Harrisburg or Autism York.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 PM

121 posts, read 259,827 times
York County is pretty strong for Autism services.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 PM

248 posts, read 534,984 times
I lived in Chester County when my son went through the early intervention program. I was very happy with his therapists, and also loved the preschool program as well in West Chester, PA. Also, he went to Theraplay for OT, speech, and feeding. They have a bunch of locations around PA. Make sure you get Keystone Mercy medical assistance (doesn't matter what your income is), and all doctors appointments and therapies are free! No copays! I recently moved from PA to NJ, and really miss having that medical assistance.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
I shouldn't really be telling you this because 3 kids with autism will cost the taxpayers of the local school district and the state as a whole a lot of money, but moving near the Geisinger Autism and Developmental Medicine Center in Lewisburg will provide the best treatment and remediation programs for kids with autism found anywhere. See link below.

Home - Autism & Developmental Medicine Institute (ADMI) | Geisinger Health System

Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,269 times
I currently live in Luzerne county and I have one child with autism and my other two have behavioral problems. My one child with behavior problems receive tss services and had straight A's on their report card. My child with autism is currently doing fabulous. I couldn't be happier with the progress I see.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 109,027 times
Following- I'm currently in NY (Long Island) and looking to relocate because the cost of living here has been insane. I heard PA does not have waiting lists for Medicaid and other services, is that true? What are the best counties in either central or eastern PA for services and schools w/ support?

Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
LusterLeaf - This is a four-year-old thread. To get the best responses for your situation, you should probably start a new thread. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania