Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times

Advertisements

Just curious for some honest opinions....Offered a position in the lehigh valley area...salary is 160k and change.....given the astronomical housing prices here in the the northeast.

Is this enough to buy in a nice new development and good schools...looking for 5 beds, 3 baths..3 car garage...you know..the usual.

Or should I ask for more $$?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 05:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Just curious for some honest opinions....Offered a position in the lehigh valley area...salary is 160k and change.....given the astronomical housing prices here in the the northeast.

Is this enough to buy in a nice new development and good schools...looking for 5 beds, 3 baths..3 car garage...you know..the usual.

I have a post-graduate certificate (Master's degree +) and I don't get 1/2 that.................. Surely to all that is pure in the world you can find something habitable..... Gotta go get some self-esteem

Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 PM

40 posts, read 225,978 times
Yeah, that should be enough.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 AM

Well before i move my "kit and kaboodle"...I want to make sure...I have heard that the prices are really not that much different when you cross over the border....and I have also heard that even in bucks county...that really isnt going to buy into a nice area.

Our main concerns are quality of the area(no gangs or crime), great schools..plus we have some investment properties as well, so we dont want to spend more that 400k on a home...anything more than that....we midas stay out here and spend the 700k and not move anything.

Still possible gang..to get into the above required areas for 400k. The market is soft over here and ALOT of desperate sellers who bought on those weird mortgages are looking to exit.

Whats the status in bucks and lehigh?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:47 AM

179 posts, read 1,067,224 times
I have lived in PA for 40 years never heard of any gang problems anywhere. Not real good on the lehigh area but still anything like that hits the news stations and have never heard any problems. 160k is very good the market is a buyers market here many new developments are doing anything they can to sell their properties so you can definately find good deals. Have you contacted a real estate agent to start looking yet?? You can get those listings through emails then check out the school districts at schoolmatters.com that will tell you if the area is good.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:31 PM

155 posts, read 941,933 times
Gotta agree with William shivers on this one. I have heard of gangs in Allentown however my brother inlaw lives in town and has no problems.
I think it's more "wanna bees"
Check with a realator and 400k can buy a lotta house in the Lehigh Valley.
Check the listings on line with any of the realator sites {Ie. Remax, Patt White} and you can get a good feel for prices and the areas.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Well thats certainly good to know...btw to the realtor that emailed me..I tried to respond..but your account doesnt accept emails...

sorry?!

I have not contacted an agent as I am not sure if we have to go with "their people"....we wil be visiting in the near future....

I will take any comments or thoughts on lehigh though...places that I keep hearing about parkland schools and saucon valley...any opinions on these areas would help!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:

Is $160k enough?? Most people live decent lives on much less than that. Anyways, the answer is yes....you will live like royalty on $160k just about anywhere in PA.

anyways...what part of Beverly Hills are you coming from when you consider 5 beds, 3 baths, and a 3 car garage to be "the usual."??

Old 11-02-2006, 04:47 PM

ConorsDad--

LOL...I am laughing...because I re-read my post and then realized how it can be interpreted. What I mean by the "usual"..was I didnt want to drone on about what most folks ask for which is the usual, good schools, nice area, great place to raise a family, quality of life....etc etc etc. Thats what I mean by "the usual"...perhaps I should have used yada yada yada?

As far as what part of beverly hills...funny you mentioned that as I grew up in southern california.

Anyway...we turned down the job offer. It would have been a paycut and a lateral move anyway.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Default The area and schools

Quote:
Well thats certainly good to know...btw to the realtor that emailed me..I tried to respond..but your account doesnt accept emails...

sorry?!

I have not contacted an agent as I am not sure if we have to go with "their people"....we wil be visiting in the near future....

I will take any comments or thoughts on lehigh though...places that I keep hearing about parkland schools and saucon valley...any opinions on these areas would help!
Yes, I know what you mean. It is hard if you get a realtor you don't click with.
It has happened to us and others many times. And.....then.....there is the feeling by the realtors that "you are Only theirs". It makes it a bit difficult...and I have lots of stories on that.....but.......
Nazareth is known to have the best schools in the Lehigh area. I'd look up their reputation and into that. Yes, you can find a home for that price.
It should be a nice home with what you want. The prices are up in that area but, as you know it is a buyers market. They use to be gone in a day down there and now they are on for a few months.
Forks is a wonderful area. No crime there......Farm lands are becoming developments......nice homes, schools......
Lots of Malls and stores to go to, shopping galore.....no problems there either.
I have gone in and out of Allentown with not one issue. Crime is popping up in all states and in certain areas. All in all........it is a great area.
I don't know where you are coming from. ???
Look in those home books.......online.....realtor.com......that is how I found most of my homes. On my own. Finding what style and area I liked ......I found too many times I was taken to homes that were not at all in my mindset. The home I am in now popped up on the web site.
Do some googling......check areas......There is plenty of brand new homes.
You should be ok. That is a great salary.......this is a very good state.
Friendly people, good shopping, fun things to do and see.....Lancaster is a joy to visit. Best of luck to you......If you need info......I'd be glad to send some.
Try and look into forks twsp. also......nice, quiet, but, near all you need.
Wegmans, Boscovs, Bonton, 14 theaters and another one over the border with more. Malls, and Restaurants and lots of colleges to choose from....plus things in the Arts always going on. DiscoveryZone and ......more and more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania