Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:16 AM

38 posts, read 44,020 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been looking to relocate for a few months now and dont have a definite location in mind. Might sound crazy but I just want out of NJ, with a fresh start for myself and my children. As a newly single mother, its pretty tough to hang on in NJ. Originally I wanted to go south, like VA but have since considered PA that way Im still some what close to my family. I found quite a few places that I really liked on apartments.com, they were in Greensburg, Youngwood, Bridgeville... however I didnt realize these places are still 6hours away, might as well just continue to VA! Can anyone assist me with areas a little closer to NJ but not quite the hustle and bustle of Philly? I am not familiar with the area and only know some names like reading and easton from hearsay but know nothing about the areas. I currently live in "low income housing" in NJ so I wonder if the PA area's normal rent is in that range ($775-800 area) Toss out some ideas! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Unfortunately the Eastern 1/3 of Pennsylvania isn't that much cheaper these days than most of NJ because so many people from NJ/NYC that earn more than you in particular do and ALSO want "cheaper" moved here to pay slightly less than those inflated NJ/NYC prices and drove the cost-of-living in Eastern PA up as a result.

Bucks County is expensive. The Lehigh Valley is relatively expensive. The city proper of Philadelphia can tend to be expensive for the "nice" areas while most slummy areas that will be cheaper will also be higher crime. I'd recommend maybe the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to you if you're looking for the most affordable option that's still close to NJ. It's a 90-minute drive or so to most parts of NJ from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and the area is cheap because it's economically-depressed.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,293 times
I also recommend looking at Scranton/Wilkes Barre. Also consider Lebanon and York Counties.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM

325 posts, read 369,013 times
Frackville's cheap.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,906,392 times
Lehigh Valley?

Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Lehigh Valley?
Anything in that range is going to be a small apartment in a city, so not much better I don't think.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,160 times
Either Lancaster or York county might work, but stay out of the city's school systems. Check out western Lancaster (Columbia, Mt. Joy, Manhiem Central) or eastern York (Eastern, Northeastern) school districts are decent. Perhaps someone can speak for the eastern school districts of Lancaster (Pequa Valley? Conestoga?)

Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
You could probably swing Upper Bucks or the Lehigh Valley. You could probably do parts of Delaware County as well if you want to stay in Eastern, PA.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:38 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Shawnee on the Delaware

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM

38 posts, read 44,020 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. It really doesnt seem that much cheaper from what Ive seen but I will look at the other areas you have suggested. I have also branched out to looking into Maryland. I really am not a fan of NJ. All of this research is getting depressing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania