Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM
112 112 started this thread

22 posts, read 24,375 times

Advertisements

just curious as to get a general opinion of both of these cities, which have the the worst employment picture of each half of the state respectively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Frankly, I don't know how they are even comparable.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I'd guess that Hazleton has a better chance of surviving than Johnstown. It's located near the junction of I-80 and I-81, and it's only a two-hour drive from Philadelphia and New York. If population growth in eastern Pennsylvania becomes more consistent north of Blue Mountain, then I think Hazleton is in a good spot, both literally and figuratively.

As for Johnstown, it's very isolated by comparison. Pittsburgh is only an hour away, but it's not nearly as big as Philadelphia or New York, and whatever revitalization is happening in Pittsburgh hasn't even helped the entire metropolitan area, let alone western Pennsylvania at large. In fact, the city and Allegheny County appear to be the only real beneficiaries here.

Johnstown isn't very well-connected either; U.S. 22 passes too far north, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike passes too far south. U.S. 219 serves Johnstown, but it's a north/south highway that connects to nothing in particular. Of all the cities in Pennsylvania, I think Johnstown will be the last to revitalize, if it ever does.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:35 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I have never been to Hazelton or known anyone who lives or works there; therefore, I cannot make an informed comparison.

I'd be willing to bet that few people who regularly post here are familiar enough with both cities to do so.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have never been to Hazelton or known anyone who lives or works there; therefore, I cannot make an informed comparison.

I'd be willing to bet that few people who regularly post here are familiar enough with both cities to do so.
I grew up a half-hour from Hazleton and now live an hour from Johnstown. I was in Hazleton semi-frequently and have only been to Johnstown twice (with plans for a third trip in the next two weeks).

Gnutella nailed it. Johnstown is extremely isolated when compared to Hazleton, and while a huge chunk of Pittsburgh is rapidly gentrifying there are still neighborhoods within the city proper as well as inner suburbs (Braddock, anyone?!) that are in extreme distress. Johnstown wouldn't have a shot at leeching off of Pittsburgh's success until Pittsburgh realized its fullest potential, which won't be for generations.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:57 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'd guess that Hazleton has a better chance of surviving than Johnstown. It's located near the junction of I-80 and I-81, and it's only a two-hour drive from Philadelphia and New York. If population growth in eastern Pennsylvania becomes more consistent north of Blue Mountain, then I think Hazleton is in a good spot, both literally and figuratively.

As for Johnstown, it's very isolated by comparison. Pittsburgh is only an hour away, but it's not nearly as big as Philadelphia or New York, and whatever revitalization is happening in Pittsburgh hasn't even helped the entire metropolitan area, let alone western Pennsylvania at large. In fact, the city and Allegheny County appear to be the only real beneficiaries here.

Johnstown isn't very well-connected either; U.S. 22 passes too far north, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike passes too far south. U.S. 219 serves Johnstown, but it's a north/south highway that connects to nothing in particular. Of all the cities in Pennsylvania, I think Johnstown will be the last to revitalize, if it ever does.
I'm very familar with Johnstown and I agree with everything you said except that it is even more isolated than what you said. Johnstown to downtown Pittsburgh is a minimum 1:20 minute drive with no traffic. With rush traffic in or out of Pittsburgh, it can easily take 2 hours. When Route 22 became four lanes, they added numerous traffic lights to that road. There are also stretches where the speed limit is 45 MPH. Route 56 or Route 403 into Johnstown are two lane roads with lots of coal trucks.

U.S. 219 is one of the best roads in the state that gets little traffic. As you mentioned, it doesn't go anywhere. The four lane section connects Somerset to Ebensburg.

John Murtha did everything he could to bring government contracts to Johnstown. Now that he is gone, that business is slowly disappearing.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Hazleton has successful industrial parks due to its highway connectivity and at least initially availability of labor transitioning from mining. That labor has now transitioned to more recent immigrants. I hear secondhand they have some difficulty attracting high-skill folks to the area to work in them though.

Johnstown is much higher on the scenic scale. There is nothing in Hazleton that compares to Old Westmont. It is poorly served by transportation links that succeeded the canal and railroad. It will be decades longer outside the metro corridor economic penumbra.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:10 PM
112 112 started this thread

22 posts, read 24,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

great answer and true. to the person who said not comparable i beg to differ, hazleton has the illegal problems and the highest unemployment rate, and johnstown while it has a lower unemployment rate (by the books anyway) has more shuttered businesses and filth then everywhere else ive seen. hazleton while in the better location has more crime problems. And the part about getting to 22 from jtown is the problem with it imo. quickest way into Pitt is 403 to 22 and thats not pretty. even living along 22 in armagh is a manageable commute into Pitt because its just highway

Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
"illegals"arent a problem in johnstown because theres no reason to go there

Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM

54 posts, read 61,172 times
Looking to move to Hazleton from Philly. What is it like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania