Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 10:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,476 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I visited Erie earlier this summer (with my mask on in public, 6 feet away from others, of course) and I really like the city and the peninsula! I am currently apartment hunting in a few areas and I would love a little bit of insight.

A little relevant info about me...

I am an early 30's woman from New England (where the prices are much higher), I have a remote/work-from-home tech job making 55k-60k before taxes, I have a cat. I would be looking for a 2-BR or a large 1 BR with central air that is pet friendly and in a safe area. I will be working from home.

My price max is 1200/month. For hobbies, I like checking out new restaurants, wineries/breweries, nature walks, bicycling, kayaking. I am somewhat introverted, but naturally I would like to make some new connections (my boyfriend lives in Erie, but other than that I don't know a soul).

A couple areas I am looking at apartments:

1) Gannon/downtown area close to the lake (found listings)
2) Belle Valley (found listings)
3) Close to Presque Isle, if I can find something
4) North East (I know this isn't technically in Erie), if I can find something

Things I would like insight on:

-the safety of these areas, and any neighborhoods I should avoid for my personal safety
-things you personally like/do not like about living in Erie
-suggestions on Meetups/local clubs/places to meet new people in the area (asking as if COVID has already passed)

Thank you in advance for any insight and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 12:04 PM

5,305 posts, read 6,191,419 times
One thing about Erie; it's in the "snow belt." So make sure that your apartment community has either covered parking or access to a garage. Also check out whole house, condo and townhouse rentals. Just curious but why not move in with your boyfriend? There's no stigma attached to that today.

Old 07-26-2020, 12:18 PM

Thank you for the tips Wells5. The BF has some time left on his current lease w/ a roommate, so it would not be possible at the moment. I'm itching to relocate though and I can afford it on my own, so I thought why not! The ultimate goal would, of course, be moving in together.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:46 AM

10 posts, read 8,889 times
I went to college in Erie and started working locally after graduation. I stayed at Shaddow Pines (near Bell Valley) for a year. They were nice, newer, clean, and in a safe area. I would recommend them to a friend. They were not the biggest apartments in the world but the location was nice and quiet. Plenty of safe streets nearby for walking/exercising. Not immediate to downtown but it never stopped us from heading there for bars and restaurants (or commute to work for me). One nice thing that I miss about Erie is that you could almost get anywhere in 15-20 minutes. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2020, 09:39 AM

486 posts, read 602,431 times
Hi ifindthebesttrails!

I'm 26 and have lived in Erie my whole life so I'll try and give you the best info I can. Both the downtown area and Belle Valley are great areas to live if you find listings you like. The area around Presque Isle is also nice; North East is about a 25-30 min drive from Erie, but winter weather can prolong that.

The areas you listed are safe to live. Downtown does have some homelessness and panhandling, but the people are harmless and the foot traffic combined with the police presence makes downtown a good place to live. The only neighborhoods I would try to avoid are Little Italy (the area on W. 18th from Sass to Raspberry St.) and the Lower East Side (east of Parade St., north of E. 12th St. and west of Downing Ave.).

As far as what I like-- the local restaurants and shops, Presque Isle, the bayfront, downtown (which is going through so great redevelopment), local parks (like Frontier, Asbury Park, Glenwood Park, Liberty Park, etc.), museums and attractions, virtually no traffic, and it being central to CLE, BUF and PIT is a plus too.

As far as what I don't like-- the weather can suck in the winter although we've had some mild winters lately. Our airport only has flights to 3 airports (Detroit, Charlotte and Chicago), so you may not find the best deal out of ERI. And not that this would concern you but the dating pool here is pretty small.

Some of my favorite places to go include Tap House, Jekyll & Hyde's, Cloud 9, and Alkeme, but Erie has a lot of breweries, corner bars, college bars, wineries and outdoor drinking spots as well.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:25 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,706 times
For $1,200 a month you can get something really nice in Erie, Millcreek, Summit, HarborCreek, North East, etc. My wife and I live in the Frontier neighborhood in Erie and we love it and there are some small houses for rent in our neighborhood that definitely meet your criteria but there are not many apartments. South Shore Place is a very unique place and it is kind of pricey, but the views are amazing and it is safe and close to everything. Joining one of the mug clubs at Lavery, BrewErie, or one of the other breweries is a nice way to meet people and I find people in Erie overall pretty nice and welcoming.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:16 PM

Thank you! I actually am familiar with that neighborhood- the only drawback is they don't accept pets. Definitely a nice and walkable area, like you say

Old 09-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice and replies! I found a nice place near the Bayfront and I am moving in a few days <3 see you around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania