Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM

75 posts, read 352,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Anyone have any input on the canton/troy area in pa??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM

76 posts, read 366,117 times
I grew up there, and go back to visit at least once a year.

There isn't much of anything there. Troy used to have a jcpenney. they don't even have that anymore- in either town. The last factory in Troy is shutting down. There is a few people working for shop vac in canton, but I'm sure that won't be for long.

I suppose it would be a nice place to move to get away from the city. Thats what keeps us going back. Its a quiet, farming area. Not a good place to move if you are looking for work. I think things are pretty expensive there too.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM

75 posts, read 352,064 times
Thanks for the input. I work from home and am looking to live in a quiet area without the hustle and bustle. Taking a drive to go shopping is not as much of a concern because there is not as muh traffic which means less travel time.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM

75 posts, read 408,528 times
Hey...I currently live just outside Troy and enjoy it. Traffic is definitely not an issue, except maybe when the school busses pull out in the afternoon. There is a BiLo, Family Dollar, McDonalds, Dollar General, Subway and Video King in addition to the downtown businesses. In terms of employment, it's true that the Paper Magic factory just closed but I dont know of too many people that think of it as a major loss. The jobs were almost all low-paying on a scale similar to WalMart. Cummings Lumber has been going strong and opened two new operations in Troy in recent years, Barefoot Flooring and a pellet fuel factory. The other major employers are the school district, Martha Lloyd Home, and the hospital. However, most people commute to neighboring areas, especially Elmira, Mansfield/Blossburg, Towanda, and Sayre/Athens. For shopping, Elmira is a 25 min drive up Rt 14, add 10 minutes more if you wish to go to the mall and surrounding shopping areas - pretty much every national store you can imagine is there and a variety of restaurants. Homes are very reasonable compared to outside our region, but Armenia Mtn property runs high since it's popular with people from NJ. The property taxes are the lowest in Bradford or Tioga counties.

Between the two, I would pick Troy over Canton since Canton seems more isolated to me...and kinda depressing. The shopping options for basic needs are a little better covered in Troy and there's more historic buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania