Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,918 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to possibly move to PA--- My wife is from the Berwick, PA area. I have been in Rochester, NY all my life. She misses the low taxes, low cost of living and more rural mountain areas in PA. We are looking for work around the state-- trying to stay no more then 5-6 hours at most from Rochester. I would like to live within 30-40 min from a good sized city for shopping but prefer a safe cute small town in a more rural area. We are going to rent to start with before we plant more permanent roots but would like a home under 120K with at least 2-3 acres (for now rent under 800/mo.) We do have one of our two kids still at home and are looking for a vocational high school for him. I am a Nurse and would like to be able to be within driving distance of a VA (Veterans) facility. We have a dog now and want another one-- so looking for dog friendly area as well............ and to add to the criteria.....lol we are a lesbian couple so are looking for a gay-friendly area-- don't need gay bars or anything like that but just open minded neighbors.
Any suggestions??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
My suggestion would be to look into northwest PA: Crawford, Warren, McKean, Potter, Venango or Forest counties. You can buy a house on acreage in those places on your budget and the areas are safe. I doubt whether the locals would object to a Lesbian couple who behaved normally and didn't display their affection for each other too openly.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Have you really looked much in the Southern Tier of NY, say around Corning? I don't really think that upstate PA is that different than the Southern tier area and you don't have to worry about fracking in NY either. We lived in a tiny town outside of Corning many years ago and when we went back to visit last year, it looked pretty much the same. Do a zillow search for Beaver Dams, NY on zillow and you'll see what I mean.

I think it's doubtful that you will be able to find a house that's in decent shape with some land within an hour of a city anywhere near your price range in the Lehigh Valley. Finding a house in that price range, even without land would be impossible. I could be wrong though!

Wells, Are the places you are suggesting within 30-40 minutes of a "good size city"?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:53 PM

Looking to leave NY state--- don't want to pay NY taxes.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:50 PM

Would like to stay away from Lake Erie and the Lake effect snow that brings.......been living with that on Lake Ontario and want to be as warm as we can....

Old 11-16-2015, 05:34 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Bloomsburg area (yes, right near Berwick) might be a good area to look into. Saved from fracking by its geology, not as pricey as areas commutable to major metro jobs. VA in Wilkes-Barre, plus most of the box stores and even a Wegmans. Not out of the question on a Saturday to hop on I-80 and go shopping in Paramus, NJ. Seems to be a bit more socially/politically progressive than the literal Northern Tier, a lesbian married couple we know near there seem to have tons of friends.

Northern Berks County, grading into the western tip of Lehigh County, might be worth looking into, kinda between Hawk Mountain and the Rodale Institute. I suspect your price point might be a little more difficult here. VA in Lebanon, but Lebanon County proper is generally socially conservative.

Possibly some areas in northern and western Huntingdon County, that are relatively close to State College but not in the pricier State College school district. Warriors Mark Twp, Jackson Twp, not much further south. If you get too far from State College social conservatism rises dramatically. This side is closer to VA in Altoona. I'd recommend Penns Valley SD, Millheim area, but for desire for proximity to the VA.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 AM

9 posts, read 9,581 times
Take a look at Milford/dingmans ferry area. Milford is a small town with a artist scene. From what I understand very gay friendly.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 PM

385 posts, read 309,477 times
This may be the first time I've ever seen someone use the phrase "my wife misses the low taxes."

Old 11-17-2015, 05:04 PM

566 posts, read 592,259 times
Sihemi is right.. You would be comfortable in Milford PA. Its gay friendly, artsy, and there are two nearby hospitals, one in Port Jervis, NY just a very few miles away, or Newton NJ. Google the distance. Shopping malls a half hour away in two different directions. Unique,special place. People love it.
There are homes in your price range, just go to a popular major realty site. You'll see. Schools are very good.
Happy house hunting! Check out the cool town website: Milford PA

Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
I believe PA is such a diverse state in that, there is so much you can do. Being that it is close to NY, and NJ, makes it even more attractive....

I love the SEastern part where I now live, b/c I'm closer to MusicFest, MayFair and the Rose Garden, Dorney Park, and all the other attractions of the ABE area....however, there is also much to be said for the Northern and Western part of PA, due to its forests and open land....I've lived in the Poconos, which was also a wonderful area...quaint and rural depending where you are. While I love to visit cities, I'm not a city person, per say.

But PA offers 4 seasons, and the beauty of those is to me, so rewarding. There is also much history tied to PA

Like I said, if you want city life, you can hop a train and go to Philly, NY or a car ride to the shore in New Jersey.. which is where I have spent most of my weekends, during the course of my life.

World's End is such a beautiful place to camp, and then of course we have our own Grand Canyon, and I'm very fond of Dushore. I've traveled all over this country, and there are many beautiful spots, but PA, to me is home.

Milford is in fact a beautiful area, but it is also lovely in Coudersport Area....it depends on what your looking for.

The Poconos are very nice, but extremely traffic congested....and Western PA is also very beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania