Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm from Johnstown and recently was looking at houses on Zillow (not seriously). So I miss the place. If I weren't married I might go back there maybe to Johnstown or Pittsburgh.

That said I thought we folks from PA had a sense of humor?

Is that supposed to be funny?

Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Is that supposed to be funny?
Well, that answers my question. Not everyone in PA has a sense of humor.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefolly View Post
I was born and raised in western Pennsylvania, and I never heard that word.

It's old term often used by Democrats in derogatory manner towards Republicans in more rural areas of the state. Popularization of it is attribute to James Carville a long time Democratic hack but that attribution is incorrect as far as I know. What he did say was.

Quote:
Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks. They didn't film The Deer Hunter there for nothing – the state has the second-highest concentration of NRA members, behind Texas.
Tell us what you're really thinking....

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-10-2020 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-10-2020, 09:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
That said I thought we folks from PA had a sense of humor?

Personally I enjoy the use of stereotypical names used in a derogatory manner towards rural Pennsylvania's. More votes for Trump.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:12 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's old term often used by Democrats in derogatory manner towards Republicans in more rural areas of the state. Popularization of it is attribute to James Carville a long time Democratic hack but that attribution is incorrect as far as I know. What he did say was.

The interesting thing is, "The Deer Hunter" is indeed set in western Pennsylvania, but I believe most of the rural scenes were shot in the Pacific Northwest.

Carville's from Louisiana, so I suspect he has some knowledge of Southerners. Some of those remain Unreconstructed still.

And his wife's a Republican hack, Mary Matalin.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:19 AM

30,487 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Well, that answers my question. Not everyone in PA has a sense of humor.

so you're saying that because I don't find that amusing I don't have a sense of humor?

well alrighty then.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:50 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The interesting thing is, "The Deer Hunter" is indeed set in western Pennsylvania, but I believe most of the rural scenes were shot in the Pacific Northwest.

Carville's from Louisiana, so I suspect he has some knowledge of Southerners. Some of those remain Unreconstructed still.

And his wife's a Republican hack, Mary Matalin.

"The Deer Hunter" is set in Clairton, PA, south of Pittsburgh, but most of the filming took place in Ohio and West Virginia. The wedding scene was filmed in Cleveland as were some of the steel mill scenes. The hunting trip was filmed near Mt. Baker in the state of Washington. The was the most unrealistic part of the movie because it was obvious they weren't in PA, while the script described the hunting trip as a couple hours driving from Clairton.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:59 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Personally I enjoy the use of stereotypical names used in a derogatory manner towards rural Pennsylvania's. More votes for Trump.
What's wrong with Kentucky? Why is the term negative? Kentucky has great people that make huge contributions to the world! Being labeled a Kentucky-person should be a symbol of pride!

Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:

I know you’d rather make it political, but I’m pretty sure more than a few of the NJ and NY people that I’ve heard use that term are Republicans.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:16 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
What's wrong with Kentucky? Why is the term negative? Kentucky has great people that make huge contributions to the world! Being labeled a Kentucky-person should be a symbol of pride!
Eastern Kentucky's coal-mining regions, in particular, are considered "hillbilly" country along with West Virginia as a whole. This was the part of the state that was featured in one of those books that came out in or around 1961 that opened the country's eyes up to a slew of social issues ("The Death and Life of Great American Cities" on urban renewal, "Silent Spring" on the environment, "The Other America" on poverty in general, and — here's where Kentucky coal country comes in — "Night Falls on the Cumberlands" on rural poverty in Appalachia).

That's the source of "Pennsyltucky" used as a slur. (In an intemperate moment some years back, I once said that the slur was "an insult to Kentucky." I haven't said that ever since.)

Edited to add a footnote: Something the two states really do have in common is whiskey. The "Whiskey Rebellion" after the American Revolution was a tax protest on the part of grain growers and distillers in Pennsylvania, and, of course, we all know what state is associated with Bourbon. There is a Pennsylvania whiskey tradition too, largely involving rye rather than corn; this results in the odd phenomenon of a Kentucky distiller producing a rye whiskey called "Rittenhouse" that it says pays homage to that Pennsylvania tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania