Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 11:40 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You cherry picked a pedestrianless pic of Pittsburgh but not Philadelphia.....ok
I'm not cherry picking at all. That's what Market Street bridge looks like every single day. Roberto Clemente does not look like that everyday.... only when it's closed to vehicular traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Walnut Street is more pedestrian friendly? Lol
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515...7i13312!8i6656

South Street?? With it's on and off ramps to I-76? Lol
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9473...7i13312!8i6656

No... market street is by far the most pedestrian friendly. It has the widest sidewalks, the planters and benches, beautiful ornamentation, etc.

Chestnut Street will be maybe the most pedstriatn friendly after it's done being re-done by PennDot.
Lol yes they are! South street uses the proper way to separate peds/bikes/cars and Walnut street has enlarged curbs and a bike lane for speed control. Just another thing you know nothing about - pedestrian facilities.

Market street doesn't even have ADA compliant curb ramps at it's intersections on the UC side! Lol!

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Hmmm... interesting. The bridges seemed like a major barrier to me. Certainly a much easier and much more pedestrian friendly walk across the Schuylkill River, than the Allegheny.
I don’t see either city as having more or less pedestrian-friendly bridges. A lot of Pittsburgh’s bridges have high-density, high-amenity neighborhoods on one side and not much on the other, but Pittsburgh also has many more bridges, as would be expected of a three river city. Downtown and the Northside are the best connected via bridge because you have desirable, walkable, amenity-rich areas once you set foot on dry land on both sides. That’s not to say the sundry bridges to the South Side aren’t useful for pedestrians, but you have to want to go for a walk in order to use them (which is by no means a bad thing).

In fairness, aside from 30th Street Station, there were historically several blocks of dead zone between Center City and University City, and that’s just taken a rapid turn for the better over the past five years.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Lol yes they are! South street uses the proper way to separate peds/bikes/cars and Walnut street has enlarged curbs and a bike lane for speed control. Just another thing you know nothing about - pedestrian facilities.

Market street doesn't even have ADA compliant curb ramps at it's intersections on the UC side! Lol!
Maybe that's because Market Street Bridge was built in f**king 1805? And Walnut and South Street bridges were just redone the past couple of years.

I've walked over every single one of these bridges hundreds of times. Market Street bridge is still the most pedestrian friendly with the ornamental statues on railings, the planters, benches, etc.

I'm aware of the bike lanes on South Street bridge, etc... it's still a long walk. Traffic is very hectic at the intersection where the on and off ramps of I-76 are, etc. The view is certainly nice though!

Again... you're telling me this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9515...7i13312!8i6656

Is more pedestrian friendly than this??:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9545...!7i8704!8i4352

More bike friendly, yes, but walking on the sidewalk? Absolutely not.

I don't care about the engineering logistics behind it... I care how it feels when walking across the bridge as a pedestrian on the sidewalk. Market Street is the best.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don’t see either city as having more or less pedestrian-friendly bridges. A lot of Pittsburgh’s bridges have high-density, high-amenity neighborhoods on one side and not much on the other, but Pittsburgh also has many more bridges, as would be expected of a three river city. Downtown and the Northside are the best connected via bridge because you have desirable, walkable, amenity-rich areas once you set foot on dry land on both sides. That’s not to say the sundry bridges to the South Side aren’t useful for pedestrians, but you have to want to go for a walk in order to use them (which is by no means a bad thing).

In fairness, aside from 30th Street Station, there were historically several blocks of dead zone between Center City and University City, and that’s just taken a rapid turn for the better over the past five years.
Yes, there were, because this area was industrial. Only in the past couple of years have hotels, apartments, offices, restaurants, parks and shops started popping up.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Notice you're the one attacking Pittsburgh here. You are the Philly version of Blackbeauty haha, no need for the personal attack.
CORRECTION: I'm the Pittsburgh version of ROW. I took my que from him. His unbridled boosting of Philadelphia, gave me inspiration. I said Damn it, Pittsburgh should have the same level of boosting ....

So I'm Boosting, ROW is Boosting .... We're all just a forum of City Boosters shouting past each other. Let's all just keep ridiculously boosting.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Speaking of the area around 30th Street Station:

Quote:
The report also notes the company’s Oct. 13 acquisition of the One Drexel Plaza office building at 3001 Market St. west of 30th Street Station for $35 million. The company plans to renovate the building in the first phase of its Schuylkill Yards redevelopment plan for the area.

The renovation is expected to start during the first three months of 2018, Brandywine chief executive Jerry Sweeney said in a conference call with analysts on Thursday.

Sweeney also discussed the 3000 Market St. building on about one acre that Brandywine acquired for $32 million in July, which now houses the Slainte Pub & Grill on its ground floor.

The property, he said, would be able to accommodate between 700,000 square feet and a 1 million square feet of development “at some point in the future.”
Read more here:
Among recent Brandywine deals: Apartment developer LCOR's acquisition in Malvern

Old 10-20-2017, 01:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
CORRECTION: I'm the Pittsburgh version of ROW. I took my que from him. His unbridled boosting of Philadelphia, gave me inspiration. I said Damn it, Pittsburgh should have the same level of boosting ....

So I'm Boosting, ROW is Boosting .... We're all just a forum of City Boosters shouting past each other. Let's all just keep ridiculously boosting.
Actually, you are doing more than boosting. You are denigrating Philly at pretty much every turn. That’s the difference.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Actually, you are doing more than boosting. You are denigrating Philly at pretty much every turn. That’s the difference.
Yep. Bingo!

Not only the city, but its residents too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania