Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,772,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Well, the headline and photo are a good teaser, but you're right that they don't get to the substance.

I can sum it up in a quote from Drexel President John Fry* that appears in the article. He's speaking to the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia about cities competing to be the "first movers" on the cutting edge of technology commercialization in the decades ahead. Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have all the ingredients in place to be one of those two dozen or so cities, but Fry dinged Philadelphia as being too complacent:

"There are other cities that are as close as Pittsburgh...and they do have a sense of urgency. And they don't suffer from complacency. And as we sit down to breakfast, they're planning to eat our lunch."

The article from this point on reads as though Blackbeauty212 herself could have written it. (And the quote appears past the jump. The article up to that point describes the high-tech ferment in the 'Burgh, the yeasty sourdough for which Carnegie Mellon University is the starter, and the hard-charging University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, now housed in the city's tallest skyscraper, the former HQ of U.S. Steel, and its plans to encroach on Penn Medicine's turf in the not too distant.)

Put simply, both of Pennsylvania's principal cities now have economies built on bedrock that consists of eds and meds. But Pittsburghers are pushing theirs to do more than just teach and heal, where we're content to let ours go on doing well what they've long been doing well. (I exaggerate: Pennovation Works and Schuylkill Yards aren't chopped liver. But the one's nascent and the other's still blueprints. The spinoffs are already coming fast and furious in Pittsburgh. One of them, mentioned in the article, began in the mind of a Philadelphian but couldn't gain traction in this city's tech-startup community, which it seems is more narrowly focused on certain sectors. Guess where it's located now?)

And there's that "who you know matters more than what you know" aspect to this city's various business, media, political and financial communities. That's an obstacle to real innovation, and some Philadelphians quoted in the article point that out.

*I think you know that I think Fry learned a lot of valuable lessons about universities as economic development engines in getting knocked about during his trial run at Penn and has been applying them where he's gone since. Drexel's definitely punching above its weight now, and I attribute that to one part Fry's leadership and one part a Board of Trustees (or whatever Drexel calls its governing board) larded with overachievers.
If Penn has a complacency problem it starts at the top. Judith Rodin never became fossilized because her plan probably was to have specific goals, reach those as best as possible and then move on which she did. No surprise that Fry grew from that kind of mentality. Amy Gutmann, by contrast, should be gone by now.

With the recent passing of Dorrance Hamiliton, Philadelphia took a huge hit wrt philanthropy. Will the younger Hamiltons step up? That's not clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:

*I think you know that I think Fry learned a lot of valuable lessons about universities as economic development engines in getting knocked about during his trial run at Penn and has been applying them where he's gone since. Drexel's definitely punching above its weight now, and I attribute that to one part Fry's leadership and one part a Board of Trustees (or whatever Drexel calls its governing board) larded with overachievers.
This makes me a proud Drexel dragon!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
PHLX's latest home above Philly

Currently home to 150 Nasdaq employees, the PHLX stock exchange will grow to 300 by 2019. The new office will also be home to 80 employees from investment companies based locally, and in Chicago and on Wall Street.

Read more here:

Turning the NFL draft into grand theater, with Philadelphia as the stage

Probably the most exciting NFL event Philly will have in a while! Lol. It's very cool that Philadelphia will be showcased for a third year in a row on the national TV stage.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Philadelphia - Scenes from Bartram’s Mile opening weekend

New river trail running along the Schuylkill in Southwest Philly. It will eventually connect to the main River trial on the other side of the river via an old rail swing bridge which will be repurposed for trail use this year.

Read more here:
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/4/24/1...rmation-photos

Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post

Currently home to 150 Nasdaq employees, the PHLX stock exchange will grow to 300 by 2019. The new office will also be home to 80 employees from investment companies based locally, and in Chicago and on Wall Street.

Read more here:

Probably the most exciting NFL event Philly will have in a while! Lol. It's very cool that Philadelphia will be showcased for a third year in a row on the national TV stage.

Great news on both fronts. Regarding the Draft, I wonder if Philadelphia will continue to host if the event goes well this year??

Also, the Penn Relays are the same weekend as the Draft, so the city is going to be a mad house! I'll stick with the calmness of NYC haha.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times
Quote:
Philadelphia - Scenes from Bartram’s Mile opening weekend

New river trail running along the Schuylkill in Southwest Philly. It will eventually connect to the main River trial on the other side of the river via an old rail swing bridge which will be repurposed for trail use this year.

Read more here:
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/4/24/1...rmation-photos
Looks similar to Pittsburgh's Hot Metal bridge connecting the Pittsburgh Technology Center with the Southside Works.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4277...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-24-2017, 12:21 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,902,085 times
Quote:
Well, the headline and photo are a good teaser, but you're right that they don't get to the substance.

I can sum it up in a quote from Drexel President John Fry* that appears in the article. He's speaking to the Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia about cities competing to be the "first movers" on the cutting edge of technology commercialization in the decades ahead. Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have all the ingredients in place to be one of those two dozen or so cities, but Fry dinged Philadelphia as being too complacent:

"There are other cities that are as close as Pittsburgh...and they do have a sense of urgency. And they don't suffer from complacency. And as we sit down to breakfast, they're planning to eat our lunch."

The article from this point on reads as though Blackbeauty212 herself could have written it. (And the quote appears past the jump. The article up to that point describes the high-tech ferment in the 'Burgh, the yeasty sourdough for which Carnegie Mellon University is the starter, and the hard-charging University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, now housed in the city's tallest skyscraper, the former HQ of U.S. Steel, and its plans to encroach on Penn Medicine's turf in the not too distant.)

Put simply, both of Pennsylvania's principal cities now have economies built on bedrock that consists of eds and meds. But Pittsburghers are pushing theirs to do more than just teach and heal, where we're content to let ours go on doing well what they've long been doing well. (I exaggerate: Pennovation Works and Schuylkill Yards aren't chopped liver. But the one's nascent and the other's still blueprints. The spinoffs are already coming fast and furious in Pittsburgh. One of them, mentioned in the article, began in the mind of a Philadelphian but couldn't gain traction in this city's tech-startup community, which it seems is more narrowly focused on certain sectors. Guess where it's located now?)

And there's that "who you know matters more than what you know" aspect to this city's various business, media, political and financial communities. That's an obstacle to real innovation, and some Philadelphians quoted in the article point that out.

Wow this is a serious blow to a Hard Core Philly booster's ego. I mean all of this is coming directly from Philly itself, not some outside Hater-nation of Philly. PHILLY IS SAYING THIS ABOUT PHILLY.

Hopefully eyes are being opened, but some are so drunk on cranes in sky over Center City Kool-aid so they'll never believe it.

Quote:
Your BNY Mellon article cutting jobs in Philly is from 2015 - nice try sneaking that in there. The office space they let go of in the BNY Mellon Center in Philly that housed those 280 employees has already been 100% re-leased for well over a year now.

...and your Comcast article about them moving 78 jobs from Central, PA to Pittsburgh is from December, 2016 and I'm pretty sure has already been posted by you in this thread. Comcast is adding about 100 new employees a month in Philadelphia.

The recycling firm one is really the only significant and interesting news. Keep on trying to embellish though lol.
Great Comcast the most HATED company in America is adding jobs, while the city Philadelphia is still in a significant Jobs deficit, which Pittsburgh is NOT. I will admit part of my post was to see how your Narcissistic Thin-Skinned Philadelphia Homersim would react to such news. And you didn't surprise me.

Plus did you know there news that Verizon may buy the beloved Comcast?

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 04-24-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Looks similar to Pittsburgh's Hot Metal bridge connecting the Pittsburgh Technology Center with the Southside Works.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4277...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Very cool!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Great Comcast the most HATED company in America is adding jobs, while the city Philadelphia is still in a significant Jobs deficit, which Pittsburgh is NOT. I will admit part of my post was to see how your Narcissistic Thin-Skinned Philadelphia Homersim would react to such news. And you didn't surprise me.

Plus did you know there news that Verizon may buy the beloved Comcast?
Okay since Comcast is "hated" they shouldn't add jobs? High paying jobs at that... You realize Comcast is one of the worlds most powerful companies and it is headquartered in Pennsylvania, maybe not Pittsburgh, but still in PA. Somehow I feel if Comcast decided tomorrow to pack up and move to Pittsburgh you would be jumping for joy and bashing Philly for losing Comcast. Philadelphia and the entire state of PA should be extremely thankful to have a company like Comcast choosing to stay here, when they could have moved to NYC years ago.

Also, did you even read the Verizon article, A) It would be a merger, and B) It's all hypothetical, its simpy quoting Verizon CEO saying he would answer the phone if Comcast called with an idea.

I sure love your name calling, very mature and intelligent.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM

9,357 posts, read 13,024,137 times
If MarketStEl is a hardcore Philly booster, this entire forum (and humble planet) is doomed.

Not that I think RoW is narcissistic, which is a DSM-V diagnosable mental disorder (notwithstanding recent inappropriate trends of overusage).

Such hate and bile, BB. Is everything okay at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania