Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,335 times

Advertisements

My wife saw an ad in "Craft Reports" magazine for the Oil City Artist Relocation program. It cetainly looks attractive, but before I start spending weekends getting to know the area, I was wondering if anyone has worked with the program and what your experience with it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,911 times
Default Artist Relocation Program, Oil City

Hi, I went out because I saw an ad in the Arts Calendar magazine. I fell in love with Oil City and the people that I met. My husband and I bought a house on the North Side and we are in the process of remodeling it so that when we sell our house here, just outside of Boyertown (close to Exeter), we can move to Oil City. We only paid $33,000 for our 4 bdroom 1 1/2 bath house with a 3rd floor apt and a 3 car detached garage. A small back yard is all we need at this point. we have been mowing 1 1/4 acres, so we are looking forward to less landscaping responsibilities. The area is very picturesque and if you love the outdoors, you can't get much better. Bike trail right downtown and lots of hiking and xc skiing and snowmobiling trails at Oil Creek S.P. or Cook Forest S.P. And don't forget the Allegheny River for Canoeing/Kayaking, boating. There is a Marina right in town. It's a quiet hamlet where everyone is friendly, laid back, willing to talk and proud of their town. I can't wait to move there.

p.s we didn't go through the artist relocation program, but I believe that it would have been a good experience. Everyone I have talked to regarding the program was very informative and willing to give me the information I needed. I am the 9th artist to move there in the past year and there are 5 others waiting for their homes to sell so they can buy a home in OC.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
If you'd like to see photos of the place there's a thread full of them somewhere. It's a photo tour of the town. Search for something with Oil City in ite title.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,979 times
ARTSOilCity (http://www.artsoilcity.com/html/index.htm - broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 73,262 times
My husband and I left Oil City about a year and a half ago (I can't believe it's been that long...) when this program was just taking off. I'm really interested in the progress of the program.

mmmorganlady, maybe you can answer this question - What kind of artists are relocating? Are these all visual artists? What different kinds of mediums? And are they all strictly full-time professionals?

Oil City and the surrounding area was a lovely little place to grow up in, although ultimately, not where we chose to settle. BUT - if there's one thing I miss...it's the tight-knit thriving little arts community.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM

457 posts, read 1,279,968 times
I have been looking at the Oil City region for awhile now. It has potential, but there is a huge problem with blight. A recent article in the local paper said there are over 400 houses that need torn down or rehabed.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

21 posts, read 73,262 times
Once again, I feel this has to do with the decline of the area itself. sr1234 - these are not just homes that have been condemned and are sitting empty.

There are people living in these houses under less than ideal conditions. The people that own the homes either don't have enough money to fix them up themselves or the landlords that rent out the homes wouldn't see enough of a return on their investment. Spend $15,000 on renovations to see a $50/mo increase on their rentals? Or a minuscule increase in their asking price?

Because of the way Oil City is laid out, the run-down houses aren't exclusively in the shoddy neighborhoods. There are lovely streets and neighborhoods with massive turn of the century eyesores waiting to be demolished.

This has been an ongoing topic for as long as I can recall. There has been talk of taking care of the blight issue for ages and I'm not quite sure why nothing ever gets done..local government, lack of funds? It's a shame really...

Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,779 times
My wife and I moved to Oil City in August from Pottstown, PA to be near our daughter who is attending Clarion and playing on the women’s basketball team. We have fallen in love the area, the people and the history, not to mention the beautiful Victorian architecture.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokeyjoe View Post
My wife and I moved to Oil City in August from Pottstown, PA to be near our daughter who is attending Clarion and playing on the women’s basketball team. We have fallen in love the area, the people and the history, not to mention the beautiful Victorian architecture.
was it easy to get jobs in oil city, and what type of work did you find?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,984 times
Hahaha. You will not find a job there, trust me. Maybe you could try to get on welfare? Everybody else who lives there is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania