Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 544 times

Advertisements

I fell on some tough times a while back and couldn't afford car repairs. I let the insurance, registration, and inspection all lapse. Thankfully things have gotten better and I'm ready to be a driver again but since so much stuff has to be dealt with I'm unsure of the best way to get it all handled.

From what I understand it has to be insured and registered to get inspected.
It has to be insured to get registered.
Okay.. but this car is not even road worthy yet. So I'm a bit puzzled about the insurance. The repair might be pretty costly and there is at least some chance I'm not going to even want to repair it but rather just get a whole new car. So should I really be buying insurance?

I was thinking of getting it towed, fixed, then towed back. Then getting all the insurance & registration in order. I think my registration is going to take some time because I'm probably ineligible to just renew it the easy way. I can't leave it sitting at the garage while I get all my stuff in order. But now that's a third tow to get it brought back in for the inspection. I've never heard of anyone doing that so I have a feeling I'm thinking about this in a dumb way and missing the easy solution.

EDIT: I just read something about a 3 month "registration penalty" because my insurance lapsed. But I went to the DMV site and it says I do not have any registration restoration requirements. It looks like it will let me proceed with registration if I have insurance info. So I think I can get insurance and registration immediately online.

So maybe the best thing to do is get it towed to the garage, get the repair quote, and buy the insurance + registration while the repairs are being done. Then provide those to the garage so it can be inspected at the end of the repairs.

Last edited by wh33ls; 01-11-2018 at 12:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
1) Figure out if it is Driveable. If it is not even driveable. Then move on from that car.

2) If it is driveable. Then you have to get it insured.

3) Insurance is a quick process. Once it is insured. You can get it registered.

4) Once it is registered. You can get it inspected.

5) Follow those steps. If the car is not driveable. Then I would say move on. And figure out a new situation as far as acquiring a new car. Cheers.

6) If you go to a local garage where you know the people. They sometimes will check it out and let you know if it will pass or not and what it needs. You might need to slip em some money. But in the long term you will know if the car is worth keeping or not. Period. Weigh your pros and cons. CARS SUCK. I sold mine 6 years ago and never looked back. I live in the city and walk everywhere or take transit.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
You don't know what is wrong with the car? I'd call the nearest service station, explain the situation and ask if they can send a mechanic to look at it. They will charge for it but you'll be able to evaluate your options from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania