Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,650 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Our family early 30's (no children yet-but maybe in the next few years) are relocating to the Allenwood, PA area for my husband's new job at the federal complex. We are looking for a safe area, with good schools and a cute downtown area (decorated nice for the holidays-good festivals) etc., and a good community vibe/quality of life. So far we have considered Lewisburg, Danville, Bloomsburg, Milton, etc. Our budget for a home is 250,000-300,000 for a more modern or craftsman style home if possible in that range.

What are your recommendations for towns to live, and what do each of them offer for the above things. Are there areas you would avoid moving to (with a potential future family in mind).

Thank you so much. Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
Hello-

I grew up about a dozen miles north of Allenwood in Williamsport. It’s not on your list (perhaps it was part of the “etc.”), but have you considered Williamsport?

It’s closer to Allenwood than either Danville or Bloomsburg. And compared with the other towns you mentioned, it’s by far the most complete community and feels more like a small city than rural town. Downtown Williamsport has had a remarkable renaissance in the past few decades and now has quite a compliment of restaurants, coffeehouses, shops, nightspots, a beautifully restored performance venue (the Community Arts Center), and a modern cineplex. The presence of Lycoming College, a pretty decent liberal arts school, so close to downtown has been a benefit, in my estimation.

Williamsport’s own school district is good if not outstanding, and some surrounding districts (Montoursville, Loyalsock) have ranked highly on “best districts” lists. I went to Loyalsock, and—though it’s a small district—I believe I got a great education.

Within the city itself as well as its surrounding towns and townships, you’d have many housing options within your price range—ranging from solid century-old craftsman type homes on tree-lined residential blocks to relatively new construction in more suburban-like subdivisions.

And regarding safety: The city has a few fairly isolated sketchy neighborhoods—generally in the area west of downtown and south of the Williamsport Hospital. And from what I’ve read and seen, most crimes arise from two people involved in some kind of illegal activity, not merely random passers by. But the vast majority of the city and nearly all of its suburbs are what I’d describe as “very safe”, and I wouldn’t hesitate to walk anywhere downtown or in any of its many decent residential neighborhoods at any hour.

If you have any interest in Williamsport or any questions, I’ll be happy to answer.

- - -

Now, aside from Williamsport...among the other towns you mentioned, I’d rank Lewisburg #1 for its downtown and Danville #2. Both towns are buoyed by the presence of a large institution and its highly educated workforce (Bucknell University in Lewisburg, Geisinger Medical Center in Danville).

Both have an assortment of historic homes within the boroughs themselves (of varying degrees of preservation or renovation) typically with clusters of post-war colonials and split levels and some more recent construction in the surrounding townships. Either way, you should have little trouble in your price range either finding something you like as it is or having enough budget left over to make upgrades to an existing house.

Based on what I’ve observed of people who live and work in the Central Susquehanna Valley, there’s a great degree of overlap in the places people live, work, shop, and entertain themselves. People who live in Lewisburg might work in Sunbury, take their kids to dance lessons in Danville, and go shopping in Shamokin Dam, for example. So in other words, you may pick any one of those towns as your residence, but you may find yourself circulating between many of them on a regular basis.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
My personal preferences would be:

#1: Lewisburg
#2: Danville
#3: Muncy
#4: Northumberland
#5: Montoursville
#6: Williamsport
#7: Milton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania