Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:57 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Except that "run down mining towns" are a very small fraction of rural PA. And Pennsylvania long ago transitioned into a post-industrial economy.

Alas, though, so many people would rather base their worldview on emotion and what they randomly saw from the highway "that one time they passed-through" than facts.
Agree. I think people...

A) confuse rural, hilly, forest covered PA for crappy/depressing.
B) Traveled to a few small towns in rural PA for whatever reason and then prematurely categorized the entire state that way....

My boyfriend works for a big consulting company in the warehousing division and frequents rural PA towns and says they're not great, but he is aware that the rural areas of ANY STATE are all pretty much the same, and he is from Tennessee and said this is nothing bad.

Anyone been to rural and post-industrial towns in New York?? pretty much the same....

Also... I have traveled to a lot of rural areas in North/South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. and rural PA has nothing on any of them. I have seem far more run-down, impoverished, backwards rural areas in other states.

Plus PA has two very large major cities, one of which has a very beautiful and economically powerful metro area (Philadelphia).

I don't deny that PA has its down parts, but its no different than any other large state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 02:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,552,637 times
A lot of people from the upper Mid-Atlantic and eastern Midwest have this baked-in negative attitude towards their own state.

I am really not sure why, I think it is just pointless whinging. I would take NY, PA, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland or WV ANY DAY over any state in the Gulf south -TX, + SC.

I blame Catholics for most of that personality.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 PM

86 posts, read 62,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
A lot of people from the upper Mid-Atlantic and eastern Midwest have this baked-in negative attitude towards their own state.

I am really not sure why, I think it is just pointless whinging. I would take NY, PA, Ohio, Michigan, Maryland or WV ANY DAY over any state in the Gulf south -TX, + SC.

I blame Catholics for most of that personality.
What would one's religion have to do with the view of their State?

I was raised in a western state, but have been living in PA for much of my adult life. I don't recall any native Pennsylvanian's talking negatively about the state. Perhaps it's just that people in my area are happy with where they live. When I first came here I was amazed at how green everything was. Of course I was comparing it to the dry, brown landscape I was used to in the West. I still like it here though, although the Winter's are too cold for me.

I don't really have much to say negatively about the state other than there are too many 2 lane roads with no shoulders and no center turn lane. In a populated area, this makes for some frustrating driving. Imagine a car making a left and 50 cars are backed up behind it because there is no shoulder to get around them. They keep building new developments around these 2 lane roads, increasing the traffic on them.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
What would one's religion have to do with the view of their State?
Catholicism is emotionally and mentally venomous. It indoctrinates self loathing, extreme guilt, and a generally negative atmosphere. It is also the largest religious influence on the northeast and great lakes.

Therefor, the negative side of this region's culture is likely due to several generations of Catholics, even if the modern family is not practicing.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:49 PM

86 posts, read 62,711 times
Quote:
Catholicism is emotionally and mentally venomous. It indoctrinates self loathing, extreme guilt, and a generally negative atmosphere. It is also the largest religious influence on the northeast and great lakes.

Therefor, the negative side of this region's culture is likely due to several generations of Catholics, even if the modern family is not practicing.
I was raised Catholic and have been involved with the church for my entire life, both in the West and here in PA. I have seen none of the negativity that you're referring to. I have many Catholic and non-Catholic friends. I really don't see much of a difference between them.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,615,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
My boyfriend works for a big consulting company in the warehousing division and frequents rural PA towns and says they're not great, but he is aware that the rural areas of ANY STATE are all pretty much the same, and he is from Tennessee and said this is nothing bad.

Anyone been to rural and post-industrial towns in New York?? pretty much the same....

Also... I have traveled to a lot of rural areas in North/South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, Alabama, etc. and rural PA has nothing on any of them. I have seem far more run-down, impoverished, backwards rural areas in other states.

Plus PA has two very large major cities, one of which has a very beautiful and economically powerful metro area (Philadelphia).

I don't deny that PA has its down parts, but its no different than any other large state.
All great points. Even "glamorous" and fast-growing California, Texas and Florida have plenty of depressing areas (in my experience, at least; so much of these states are comprised of flat and/or arid land with endless tract-housing, strip malls, and mega-highway aesthetics--not exactly an uplifting vibe in my book), so it's not even always an issue of economic stagnation/decline in rural areas.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
I was raised Catholic and have been involved with the church for my entire life, both in the West and here in PA. I have seen none of the negativity that you're referring to. I have many Catholic and non-Catholic friends. I really don't see much of a difference between them.
Cool, that must mean I'm lying, right? I couldn't possibly be talking about hundreds of years and millions of people, not the sway of time. No, this modern community YOU know means none of that EVER HAPPENED! Silly me!

Old 05-31-2019, 05:32 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Cool, that must mean I'm lying, right? I couldn't possibly be talking about hundreds of years and millions of people, not the sway of time. No, this modern community YOU know means none of that EVER HAPPENED! Silly me!
That has been your experience. It wasn't and isn't mine. I haven't been alive for hundreds of years. Why would a person who loathed themselves 300 years ago influence my opinion of the state? I have to mention that Ingrid Bergman looked spectacular in a nun's habit, though she would have looked good in a potato sack, too.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,171,312 times
There is always a chance that some people have a vested interest in putting down one area over another. If one would be in real estate in NY or NJ they would not want people moving to PA. So forums are free and why not talk negative about your competition? It is one of our downfalls using forums because it is impossible to sort out those that are here for financial gain.

Of course there are some that moved here and never really adapted to our way of life or bought more than they could afford. People will make mistakes no matter where they move and it is easier to blame the area than take the blame themselves.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That has been your experience. It wasn't and isn't mine. I haven't been alive for hundreds of years. Why would a person who loathed themselves 300 years ago influence my opinion of the state? I have to mention that Ingrid Bergman looked spectacular in a nun's habit, though she would have looked good in a potato sack, too.
Yes, how would a dominant over-bearing religion influence a regional culture over the course of a couple centuries? HMM. HMMM I WONDER. HMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Come on, it's not exactly complicated to understand. How do you folks think cultures form? In a matter of weeks? Religious history is a massive part of the program, especially in the eastern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania