Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 AM

276 posts, read 203,966 times

Advertisements

There have been some people on this forum who have said PA is depressing. Why would you say PA is depressing? PA is beautiful. If you want depressing try NJ or NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 12:27 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
I don't find PA depressING, but some towns are depressed for sure. Maybe that's what people mean. Same in much of WV. I don't find NY or NJ depressing either, or Delaware or Maryland. Of PA's neighboring states, Ohio is easily the most depressing to me.

Last edited by _Buster; 05-26-2019 at 12:39 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 06:40 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Pennsylvania is one of the most self-loathing states in the U.S., which is the biggest turn-off for me. The negativity can become a self-fulfilling prophecy too, when potential new residents get scared away by it.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pennsylvania is one of the most self-loathing states in the U.S., which is the biggest turn-off for me. The negativity can become a self-fulfilling prophecy too, when potential new residents get scared away by it.
You misspelled New York.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Its a shame, its naturally a beautiful state, and while there are many depressed parts, its also home to some of the nicest and most charming towns and cities in the country.

Philadelphia loves to hate on itself too, luckily the new younger crowd has a more positive outlook.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its a shame, its naturally a beautiful state, and while there are many depressed parts, its also home to some of the nicest and most charming towns and cities in the country.

Philadelphia loves to hate on itself too, luckily the new younger crowd has a more positive outlook.
He was talking about New York not Pennsylvania in post #3. Yes PA is naturally beautiful, although when you talk about many depressed parts that is NY not PA.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:29 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Yeah, perhaps this is partially why I am confused about the premise of the thread. None of my friends hate on PA so much. However, half my blood dates back to some of the earliest settlers of Pennsylvania, and that side of my family takes huge pride in the state. They are the Nittany Lion clad, unofficial central PA promotion crew. Many of whom are v. old.

I think the once booming coal towns of Appalachian PA can give it this reputation. But as was belabored in the other "Depressing PA" thread, there is so much more to PA and all states have their depressed areas.

Honestly I really don't think PA hates on itself much more than most states. A few states for sure have more self-pride: Colorado, Washington, and Texas, for example, come to mind. Yet I family members who are life-long residents who LOVE the state, as well as friends both "native" and transplant here in Philly, who really go to dispel the premise of the thread.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
I’ve known many consultants and other road warriors who echo the sentiment that PA is depressing for the most part. Unfortunately PA had the double whammy of being a manufacturing has-been along with the rural parts being ruined by run down mining towns. PA is not alone though... Indiana and Ohio are similarly awful.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I’ve only heard that on this forum. We moved here on purpose and like it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I’ve known many consultants and other road warriors who echo the sentiment that PA is depressing for the most part. Unfortunately PA had the double whammy of being a manufacturing has-been along with the rural parts being ruined by run down mining towns. PA is not alone though... Indiana and Ohio are similarly awful.
Except that "run down mining towns" are a very small fraction of rural PA. And Pennsylvania long ago transitioned into a post-industrial economy.

Alas, though, so many people would rather base their worldview on emotion and what they randomly saw from the highway "that one time they passed-through" than facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania