Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 PM

645 posts, read 1,540,483 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement, they are appreciated.

I have had to move so many times over my life, especially so these last five or so years due to factors beyond my control, and it really gets very old. That meant having to accept a certain area for what it was, what ever vibe, whatever the climate, terrain, etc ... Now being retired and many of those life circumstances that dictated said lack of control over, I can't figure out where to land... Dangit, for once I want to have it as I want, and not settle!

That said, having the good fortune of nearly limitless freedom, and financial ability now to pretty much throw a dart at a map of anywhere in the world, and potentially call that landing place home is proving much harder than I expected, resulting in crippling analysis paralysis. I'm trying not to have perfection be the enemy of the good enough, but I'm finding trying to get at least 80% of what I *think* I want is proving very difficult. My heart and gut say make it bucolic, living a simple life as you have before and have always wanted, but even more so now... Finding just the right area and place where I hope I will feel welcomed, that remains as tranquil and quiet as discovered, with a slow and as low a stress environment being the goal - But maybe I'm just a bit too idealistic, and not realistic enough? It's just me, no family within many hundreds or even close to two thousand miles away, I'm not getting any younger and some recent medical concerns just seem to throw a wet blanket on the whole matter.

Geez, what a basket case I must appear... I'm just tired, weary worn from disappointment, and being twice shy keeps me guarded and perhaps overthinking, where action of some sort is the better course. Oh well, press along I will and who knows; Maybe fate dictates Titusville PA is where I am meant to be, so far along in this life's journey. Thought I would also post up a few photos from my Tionesta trip I mention in my initial posting. Pretty much the same as the previous, but this time of the Allegheny many miles north of its meeting with the Monongahela, and of the town showing in one photo, the rear of garden sheds used as stands for the farmers market. Anyone planning a visit up this way I think will enjoy the time spent, especially taking the back way roads that make the ride up all that much nicer (and without any tunnel monsters to perturb you ) Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
Tell me about Titusville PA...-thumbnail.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-thumbnail1.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-thumbnail2.jpg   Tell me about Titusville PA...-thumbnail3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
you specifically asked about Titusville but have you or would you consider other parts of the state?

Don't want to take the thread off-topic but () sounds might you might like Tioga County.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you specifically asked about Titusville but have you or would you consider other parts of the state?

Don't want to take the thread off-topic but () sounds might you might like Tioga County.
Yes, I have pondered many other places to consider in PA, Tioga Co. included. I like the Bedford area from what I remember, The Gettysburg area, and even the Pocono region, but from what I have been reading it is not as it was from a few decades back when I was there.

Have also considered and pondered every state in the US outside of the South, Deep SW, and any states with firearm laws I find too oppressive (MA, NY, CA, etc). Parts of Maine and Michigan have been sticking with me a lot, as have parts of rural OH near Lake Erie. I liked living in WA state while I was stationed there (Ft. Lewis), lived in UT and it was OK in many ways, and think CO is pretty nice too, but all of these places have housing costs a lot higher for even the modest type I want, than I feel I should spend. Could I swing it, sure, but I'd like to find a more reasonable COL. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM

298 posts, read 482,244 times
My husband was of like mind. He grew up since the age of 7 in Central Mass. Same town. Worked in same town at all his jobs.
Me, on the other hand, have moved 19 times in 20 years as my Mom used to say. He is a carpenter and bookbinder and after working for over 20 years in a Bindery, decided to go out on his own. But talk about terrified about not having the safety net of a weekly paycheck! Me, on the other hand, have had my bookshop (now ours) for 35 years. Have never really had the security of a paycheck. And well, it has been hard. Husband decided to start on his own, the Bindery and also go more into selling books along with me, and leather supplies. The first year was rough, til we sold our Massachusetts home. And we have had precious little time off. Plus last year I had a physical issue that had me not up to par for a year. Better now. Yes, we...well I, am retirement age but couldn't afford to retire even if I wanted to and I don't. There was no savings and not a lot of money in my SS because of working for myself most of my life. He is a whole lot better now, the Bindery business is taking off slowly but surely and our book-shows/militaria shows are doing fairly well. We get some foot traffic, not a lot, but don't expect that and we sell online as well.

There is nothing saying you can't rent for a bit til you get the feel of an area. We knew instinctively that we wanted to live in Cashtown...tis near Gettysburg, tis near hiking. We are both very interested in history and this area has a lot of it!!! A very small area in the middle of orchards. Can't explain it, felt like home. The folks accepted us pretty readily especially when we started volunteer work for the Fire Dept. Yes, there are warts. Always will be in a small town. But dang, first place in a very long time that I have felt I could call home. Don't look at a place in terms of what it has been...but what it could be.

very much liking the photos you are taking along your journey of finding your new home!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
My husband was of like mind. He grew up since the age of 7 in Central Mass. Same town. Worked in same town at all his jobs.
Me, on the other hand, have moved 19 times in 20 years as my Mom used to say. He is a carpenter and bookbinder and after working for over 20 years in a Bindery, decided to go out on his own. But talk about terrified about not having the safety net of a weekly paycheck! Me, on the other hand, have had my bookshop (now ours) for 35 years. Have never really had the security of a paycheck. And well, it has been hard. Husband decided to start on his own, the Bindery and also go more into selling books along with me, and leather supplies. The first year was rough, til we sold our Massachusetts home. And we have had precious little time off. Plus last year I had a physical issue that had me not up to par for a year. Better now. Yes, we...well I, am retirement age but couldn't afford to retire even if I wanted to and I don't. There was no savings and not a lot of money in my SS because of working for myself most of my life. He is a whole lot better now, the Bindery business is taking off slowly but surely and our book-shows/militaria shows are doing fairly well. We get some foot traffic, not a lot, but don't expect that and we sell online as well.

There is nothing saying you can't rent for a bit til you get the feel of an area. We knew instinctively that we wanted to live in Cashtown...tis near Gettysburg, tis near hiking. We are both very interested in history and this area has a lot of it!!! A very small area in the middle of orchards. Can't explain it, felt like home. The folks accepted us pretty readily especially when we started volunteer work for the Fire Dept. Yes, there are warts. Always will be in a small town. But dang, first place in a very long time that I have felt I could call home. Don't look at a place in terms of what it has been...but what it could be.

very much liking the photos you are taking along your journey of finding your new home!
Thank you, and thanks for your nice story and advice. I am currently renting, and as much as I don't want to in my next chapter I'm sure I will. I have always loved Gettysburg, have considered it, but it sure gets hot there in the summer... But winters are pretty mild by PA standards, especially by contrast to where I am now, a bit south of Erie.

Can you share with us how Cashtown initially got on your radar, and how you established yourself? I have read similar stories of couples moving from Y-to-Z, and can't say I feel jealous; perhaps more an envious vicarity... I will say the couples part always stands out, as I was once married for nearly 24 years, with divorce happening 6 years ago. It was so much easier when it's two doing a move. It would be nice to have a partner to help each other, share the excitement of a new chapter, and simply have someone to be with on a shared glide path... You are very lucky as I'm sure you know, and appreciate it . Again, thanks.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM

298 posts, read 482,244 times
Welp,
We started looking seriously in Gettysburg for a building we could live in and sell out off. However, the buildings were too small and well, advice from a friend who lives in Gettysburg we paid heed to. Parking is an issue there among other things for residents and some businesses. Love Gettysburg but just to go to events there. Since we wanted to attract the Civil War crowd, locals and tourists alike to our bookshop and bindery we expanded our search 15 minutes out.

One night after getting exasperated with my husband dragging his feet on looking at houses in listings and gently nagging him about it, my husband said "I have been so looking, here is a house right here", and pulled up a listing of the house we eventually moved into. I liked it...but we didn't like price - twas above our budget. So we went on looking at houses in other areas. Came down and looked at other houses in different surrounding towns. Got rather mopey, none did anything for us and I personally wanted to have a house we loved. Yeah I know, bad business advice but.

Came back to Massachusetts rather dispirited. next day, the realtor calls us and tells us the house we had been interested in, came down in price. I answered 5 grand aint gonna cut it. He said no, a lot more. Contacted our mortgage company and they said yup, the price is at the high end, but taxes in Cashtown are less than Gettysburg so this house we can approve you for. We zipped back down to Cashtown, looked at it to make sure it was the same as in the photos with few issues. All old houses have issues but there are issues and there are issues. And signed on the dotted line.

We are northerners so the summers are a bit much with the humidity and heat but winter more than makes up for it. Plus my arthritis isn't as painful now as it was when I lived up north.

I married late in life - 42 or so. Yes, I have a good mate and am very thankful for him. This is our second house and first time experiencing a joint partnership in a business. I was a bit worried. But just a bit. Learning to share what used to be just my business with another. In the 80's I had a short-lived partnership in a bookshop in Boulder Colorado. Swore I would never do that again and didn't until this past year. Old(er) dogs can learn new tricks and I am. Plus it is nice to have him excited about the business!

Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I'm loving this thread and your stories. I adore Gettysburg, but I could see how owning a business there might be expensive. I also love history. Gettysburg, Bedford, Hollidaysburg, Carlisle, etc. are places I love to visit and explore. There are so many great 200 year-old buildings. Working in Pittsburgh, I was determined to find one of these Federal era homes on this side of the state, which is no easy feat! Fortunately, I was able to find one. It's in the Kittanning business district, and hopefully I'll be able to realize one of my dreams of operating an antique store on the first floor. That will be down the road. Anyway, it's good to hear about all of your dreams of moving and how that worked out for you. I'm not sure it matters as much which town you choose, as long as you have passion and a positive outlook going into it. My problem is I can easily see myself living in so many quaint towns and cities in PA, Maryland, western New York, etc. But what really mattered to me above living in a charming historic downtown was owning a piece of early American history. I can relate to the struggle of doing things alone as I have been single most of my life. I am finally ready to just accept that relationships are not for me l, and stop trying to go on dates all the time. It's exhausting. Hopefully, country life can cure me of that.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:22 PM

Thank you medievalbooks for giving us a peek behind the curtain, and sharing your story - May a Gutenberg Bible in need of your shop come your way, or better yet... "Ah, I got this old book here with purdy pictures and funny lookin writin you might like to have... It's a bit beat up - $15 too much"... I hope your business continues to thrive, and that your tear bars are always straight and true. Good luck.

PreservationPioneer. I'm glad you found what you wanted, and for your spirit of preservation. An antique store sound like a blast to have, plus with your obvious enthusiasm, the customers would get to shop at a place where the experience was made perfect by someone who cares.

"I'm not sure it matters as much which town you choose, as long as you have passion and a positive outlook going into it."

Well said, and I agree - Just have to remind myself of this more often. All you can do as you know is plug away one foot in front of the other, and try to enjoy and appreciate all you have, even if not exactly what you want *now*. Take care, and have a great rest of your day.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:07 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I liked the topography of the area. The woods, fields and waterways. It maybe be a backwater but its not so far away from shopping areas and entertainment( Erie, Grove City) and also not far from real wilderness for outdoor activities. Not a bad place to retire to and enjoy a quiet life with a decent plot of land and a house. They seemed to put effort into community activities. I always wanted to see an oil field and seeing gas wells is always fascinating. We don't see them in eastern Pa.
Goddard Lake was well kept and Kinzua Dam and the Cornplanter Forest were impressive. So there are recreational areas maybe only an hours drive away.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
The closest I came to Titusville is Oil City. The share many similarities. They certainly do so historically. It's a beautiful part of the state. I was riding my bike on Rt. 62 down from Warren. It was easily one of the most beautiful rides of my life. Here is my picture from nearby.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania