Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2019, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 819 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm interested in moving to Gettysburg and was hoping to get some information about the area.

I currently shop mostly at Whole Foods and a little at Trader Joes, Giant, and Aldis. I prefer Whole Foods because I eat mostly organic and consume a lot of produce, including nuts, beans and seeds, which I buy in bulk. The closest Whole Foods is in Baltimore, so is there any place in or near Gettysburg where I can get organic produce and bulk nuts, beans and seeds? I would guess that during the growing season, most farm stands would sell produce which is pretty close to organic, but I don't know where I could get organic produce during the winter.

Are there any hospital ERs in the area that are trauma centers? I know Gettysburg and Hanover have hospitals but neither are trauma centers, so I'm wondering how good the medical care is in the area.

Are there any major employers in Gettysburg? Do most people who live in Gettysburg also work in Gettysburg?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,706 times
I can't speak to the grocery store that you may need to visit (Gettysburg is a bit limited in that variety), but WellSpan York Hospital will be the closest trauma center. As for major employers in the area, many people work for WellSpan Health, National Park Service, Gettysburg College, local school systems, Pella, etc.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 PM

236 posts, read 251,189 times
Giant in Hanover actually has a decent organic food selection. Not sure what is available in Gettysburg. Sonnewald is a gem, but is closer to York.

Medical care...I have some complex health issues and personally don’t trust local health care providers for most things. I travel to Maryland. The drive isn’t difficult and is worth it for me.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Wegmans has a store in Mechanicsburg, which is 32 miles from Gettysburg and a store in Frederick, MD. See below for a list of major employers in Adams County,

https://www.workstats.dli.pa.gov/Doc...nty_Top_50.pdf

Old 09-09-2019, 03:50 PM

298 posts, read 481,880 times
I live 8 miles outside of Gettysburg. There is a Giant and Kennies, both of which probably have a small selection of organic foods. During the late spring, summer and fall I buy my veggies and fruit from Bennies and Deb's which are outside of Gettysburg. I do a lot of canning and the veg/fruit stands are pretty plentiful - uncertain if they are organic. Highly doubt the apples are. There are other farms/stands just as worthy nearby.

The might be in Chambersburg some places where you could buy seeds nuts etc in bulk. Don't know for sure.

Medical care...I swear by the Gettysburg Cancer Center. They absolutely rock. What dealings I have had with Wellspan have been good as well. Not overly thrilled with the hospital in Hanover but it is what my health insurance covers. Can't speak to trauma centers. The Hanover ER was ok but a bit of an ordeal. I have cancer (in remission and overall have been pleased with the care hereabouts.

A number of folks live and work in Gettysburg but with the understand that parking is hard especially during the tourist season. Gettysburg is a wonderful place but it has its negatives as does any place. We chose for various reasons to live in a small town outside of Gettysburg. Close enough for the amenities, far enough away not to have horrendous amounts of tourist traffic during the tourist season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania