Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2006, 06:50 AM

54 posts, read 244,654 times

Advertisements

I can't decide if PA or NC is better for me. what I have learned is that PA is more expensive (a single room appartment is 1200$) but it has more job opportunities and easier transportation (subway). please, comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2006, 10:55 AM

39 posts, read 142,018 times
All depends what career field your in But Philadelphia is not the right place look into Pittsburg PA people are friendlier and it is a much nicer city

Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
If you can afford $1200 bucks on rent you can have a Manhattan or Boston lifestyle for half the price in Philly.

The Philadelphia area is an awesome place and affords incredible oppurtunities if you are motivated to make it happen. If you are not motivated you may find your world spinning out of control and take on the surly attitude that some have on this board that can't make it in Philadelphia.

Someone did a search of the wealthies zip codes in PA and I believe 62 of the top 100 zips codes in the state are within 25 miles of Center City Philadephia. We need some more motivated people, come on up and check the area out. Others that can't make it are moving out to less challenging areas.

I would recommend the suburbs though as that is where most of the growth is occurring and crime is not an issue. I would start in the Valley Forge/ King of Prussia/West Chester area.

Last edited by rainrock; 12-24-2006 at 11:34 AM..

Old 12-24-2006, 12:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
[quote=rainrock;228501]If you can afford $1200 bucks on rent you can have a Manhattan or Boston lifestyle for half the price in Philly.

The Philadelphia area is an awesome place and affords incredible oppurtunities if you are motivated to make it happen. If you are not motivated you may find your world spinning out of control and take on the surly attitude that some have on this board that can't make it in Philadelphia.

QUOTE]

LOL want to see where the real whining crybabies are, check the Florida threads. You'll think you parachuted into a welfare line. Mostly kids who never wrote a mortgage check before are running wild.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:38 PM

54 posts, read 244,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaForNow View Post
All depends what career field your in But Philadelphia is not the right place look into Pittsburg PA people are friendlier and it is a much nicer city
I am a business graduate. I have passion for business and marketing consulting but don't know if I can find an opportunity...

Old 12-24-2006, 08:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaa1982 View Post
I am a business graduate. I have passion for business and marketing consulting but don't know if I can find an opportunity...

With all due respect if you have such a passion for business you should be able to create your own opportunities.

You sure as heck don't need a degree to do so.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I live near Philly and have visited Raleigh. A little bit of internet research will tell you which area has better job opportunities for you. Start with these:
http://www.projectionscentral.com/projections.asp (broken link)
http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcst.htm
Philly has better public transportation. It's also a much larger city than Raleigh. I think the Raleigh area is nicer - but I prefer small cities to large ones.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaa1982 View Post
I can't decide if PA or NC is better for me. what I have learned is that PA is more expensive (a single room appartment is 1200$) but it has more job opportunities and easier transportation (subway). please, comment.

Where exactly in PA are you looking?

Philadelphia is expensive - housing, taxes, etc etc. If you travel just 1 hour west of Philly - the cost of living goes down.

I live in Landisville (west of Lancaster city) and It's a happy medium between country and city with nice cost of living. My friends live near Philly (Media PA)and they're always complaining about how much stuff is over there.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:14 PM

90 posts, read 377,891 times
Philly is expensive but so are the areas in NJ just outside that area. It seems anywhere near a busy city you will find higher taxes and home prices.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 PM

90 posts, read 377,891 times
Default It all depends on the status

[quote=MrTudo;228552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
If you can afford $1200 bucks on rent you can have a Manhattan or Boston lifestyle for half the price in Philly.

QUOTE]

LOL want to see where the real whining crybabies are, check the Florida threads. You'll think you parachuted into a welfare line. Mostly kids who never wrote a mortgage check before are running wild.
Is it possibly that Florida prices are out of control and the insurance rates are off the charts? Not worth it down there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania