Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 01:29 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I understand that Warren may be tacking left just for the primary and if she wins the nomination she'd probably abandon the proposed fracking ban. But running against Trump as a Standard Politician who tells the expected lies isn't going to work.

IMO the Democrats' best chance in 2020 is Bernie, believe it or not, because he's the only current candidate who is genuine. But the Establishment is scared to death of him, and you may see Bloomberg emerge from Milwaukee with the nomination. In other words, the Establishment would rather lose with one of their own than with an insurgent. Biden would have won in 2016 but he is just too frail now. The Establishment knows that Biden just can't make it and shouldn't be running, but they are cynically using him as a bulwark against Bernie.
She's already straying from the left. I was waiting. I knew it was just a matter of time lol; right after she did this, she lost a lot of support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Maybe in the short term, but renewable fuel technology is advancing at such a rate, most fossil fuels will become obsolete in the coming decades.

..I called it a dirty truth. I did purposely use the word as a double entendre.

Did I say that? I simply was stating the rationale behind the choice to block the Pennsylvania pipelines.

I'm not familiar with politics in PA. What do most of the residents of the towns/cities fracking would be a thing think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:51 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I'm not familiar with politics in PA. What do most of the residents of the towns/cities fracking would be a thing think of it?
There is a town called Dimmick where several years ago the residents thought their water wells were contaminated by fracking. Obama's EPA came in, gave them water trucks and ran extensive tests on the wells. After a couple of years the EPA announced the water wells were not contaminated by fracking. The EPA gave the residents (who were not impressed) a few more weeks of water trucks, but Obama's EPA pulled out and that was the end of it.

But Dimmick was the exception. Most people are OK with it.

There are no "water faucets on fire" like you might see in a Hollywood movie.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:

It's massive mistake which isn't even giving good returns. Too late now.

Pensions have always invested in fossil fuel because it's safe bet, something like 33% of Exxon is owned by pensions. Why would you consider it mistake? Solar and wind cannot replace power generated from natural gas, coal or nuclear without some extraordinary expense. Guaranteed power that does depend on the whims of Mother Nature...

Old 02-01-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe in the short term, but renewable fuel technology is advancing at such a rate, most fossil fuels will become obsolete in the coming decades.

It's intermittent and that will always be it's Achilles heal. Let's say solar has the same cost per watt as conventional power for the capital investment. Under ideal weather conditions you can may now produce power for 8 hours, you still have 16 hours left in the day. For full day you capacity requirement just doubled or tripled and you need the means to store that power. If you have poor weather conditions the next day? Your capacity requirement just went to 4 to 6 times because you need to make it the day it was nice and you need the means store that power. If the weather is bad for a week? You need to generate all that power beforehand and store it.

Furthermore storage technology is much more applicable to conventional power because it has the potential to reduce their costs. You have three types of plants, base load that run constantly. These are the least costly run over their lifetime because you have peak efficiency constantly and you are fully utilizing the capital investment. There is intermediary plants used meet daily fluctuations in demand and peaking plants only utilized during very high demand. If the storage tech is less costly than building intermediary and peaking plants you can eliminate them and operate all plants as base load. You only need a small amount of storage to act as buffer...

As a side note the more wind and solar that comes onto the market necessarily causes the cost of conventional power to rise. Case in point is that coal plant in Ct. they are protesting. The one article I read cited a number of 23 days it operates per year if it were run at full capacity, they are using it during extreme weather events. The cost of the power from that plant is going to be extraordinarily high . It's not because of the cost of the power for the 23 days it's running, it's because the capital investment is not being utilized for 343 days of the year... It guarantees the power supply so you can't get rid of it.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
There is a town called Dimmick where several years ago the residents thought their water wells were contaminated by fracking.

The issues with methane in the water in that area were there before they started fracking. It's certainly possible it exacerbated the problem but it's historical one. Same thing applies to the demonstration in Gasland, there is documentation going back to the 1930's about methane in the water in that area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CfUm0QeOk

Old 02-01-2020, 07:24 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,453,933 times
The dangers of fracking are well documented. I grew up in rural New York State just over the border of PA. There were many people in my area who opposed fracking despite any short term economic benefit. The oil and gas is finite. This is not practice is not sustainable from multiple perspectives.

There is no need to think of this as an "either or scenario" where we either protect the environment or we invest in decent jobs. Investing in a renewable energy economy means we protect the environment and invest in job creation.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:50 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The dangers of fracking are well documented. I grew up in rural New York State just over the border of PA. There were many people in my area who opposed fracking despite any short term economic benefit. The oil and gas is finite. This is not practice is not sustainable from multiple perspectives.

There is no need to think of this as an "either or scenario" where we either protect the environment or we invest in decent jobs. Investing in a renewable energy economy means we protect the environment and invest in job creation.
As long as the new jobs come first that can work. Ending fossil fuels first with a promise of jobs later would be a mistake. Imagine if someone tried to convince you to quit your job today, with the promise of a great new unspecified job 'later' (and no guarantee that new job would go to you). Would you do it? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to either.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:15 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
There is a town called Dimmick where several years ago the residents thought their water wells were contaminated by fracking. Obama's EPA came in, gave them water trucks and ran extensive tests on the wells. After a couple of years the EPA announced the water wells were not contaminated by fracking. The EPA gave the residents (who were not impressed) a few more weeks of water trucks, but Obama's EPA pulled out and that was the end of it.

But Dimmick was the exception. Most people are OK with it.

There are no "water faucets on fire" like you might see in a Hollywood movie.
I see...

Old 02-01-2020, 04:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
To what extent are farmers being paid to not grow crops and send them to market?

That plays a big part in solar. Those farmers can come out ahead if they rent out part of their acreage to some who puts in solar panels and plants the rest with an unregulated commodity.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:18 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I know it's a challenge but this is the Pennsylvania forum. The topic is Fracking/Pennsylvania/Democrats potential problem. Off topic posts will be deleted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania