Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 02:02 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times

Advertisements

Marv, I'm not sure what your job entails, but it sounds like moving/shipping things... Equidistant to Lehigh Valley, Harrisburg and Lancaster is Lebanon County and, I gotta say, the warehousing jobs in Lebanon County along I78 are red hot. There are not too many population centers there. Lebanon City or Bethel are small, but the cost of living is quite low. They are ALWAYS hiring good workers. Good luck. Welcome back to Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 03:51 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Sorry for the random thread. I was wondering if anyone knows of a list of Pennsylvania's biggest job centers? I would be interested in the top 10 or so. I have always assumed it would be something like:

1. Center City - Philadelphia
2. Downtown Pittsburgh
3. Oakland Pittsburgh
4. King of Prussia
5. University City - Philadelphia

but I have no data. Just curious if such a list already exists.
And they just released job growth data for the 100 largest counties in the USA.

The three largest counties in the Detroit metro area added more jobs the last six years than the three largest counties in pa (Philadelphia, Allegheny, Montgomery). That is nothing to be proud of. Detroit, Pontiac and Warren Michigan anchor those three counties. All have done better combined than the places you mention.

Philly county is the best in PA ranking 40 out of 100. Eye opening and mind boggling to say the least.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:49 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post

The three largest counties in the Detroit metro area added more jobs the last six years than the three largest counties in pa (Philadelphia, Allegheny, Montgomery). That is nothing to be proud of. Detroit, Pontiac and Warren Michigan anchor those three counties. All have done better combined than the places you mention.

Philly county is the best in PA ranking 40 out of 100. Eye opening and mind boggling to say the least.
I get your point, but its not as simple as saying Detroit added more so its doing better.
The Philadelphia area is performing stronger in virtually every sector of economic growth and wealth when compared to metro Detroit. There are a lot of factors to remember such as the type of jobs and how much they are paying. Plus, the % growth is both Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties is very healthy, Allegheny not as much.

As far as the rest of PA, its pretty bleak, but I wouldn't worry about Metro Philadelphia or even Pittsburgh (city).

Also more proof that PA would financially go down the toilet if the Philadelphia area were to disappear.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2020 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-24-2020, 01:01 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:

Idk why it's that surprising. Pennsylvania is like a tortoise. Slow and steady. They release those numbers every month and every quarter for that dashboard he got it from. If you really look at the 2013-2019 numbers, you can see Detroit's numbers are front loaded with a majority of the gains in the first few years. The collapse of the auto industry in 2009 absolutely decimated Michigan's economy. The last two years, Detroit's economy has sputtered pretty badly, posting either flat or negative job growth.

State % change in employment for all industries:
2013-14
PA: 1.0%
MI: 1.6%

2014-15
PA: 0.8%
MI: 1.5%

2015-16
MI: 2.2%

2016-17
MI: 0.9%

2017-18
MI: 0.7%

2018-19
MI: 0.2%

Oakland County, MI | Detroit MSA | +63,982 jobs
Wayne County, MI | Detroit MSA | +48,172 jobs
Macomb County, MI | Detroit MSA | +27,893 jobs
total: 140,047

Philadelphia County, PA | Philadelphia MSA | +69,573 jobs
Montgomery County, PA | Philadelphia MSA | +36,797 jobs
Allegheny County, PA | Pittsburgh MSA | +19,445 jobs
total: 125,815

Not all counties are created equally either, Michigan counties tend to be larger in land size.
Michigan's largest counties (population/land size):

1,202,362 / 868 sq mi
1,753,893 / 612 sq mi
840,978 / 479 sq mi
3,797,233 spread out over 1959 sq miles
71 jobs added per mile for a population of 3.8 million

Pennsylvania's Largest Counties (population/land size)
1,584,138 / 134 sq mi
799,884 / 483 sq mi
1,218,452 / 730 sq mi
3,602,474 spread out over 1,347
93 jobs added per sq mile for a population of 3.6 million

You can draw your own conclusion, but in my opinion, when factoring in job density, land size, and actual population size, I am not going to say Michigan's large counties performed all that much in comparison to Pennsylvania's, especially in the last several years. Counties don't live in a vacuum by themselves either. There are several other counties posting higher percentage gains but they aren't a part of the top 100 largest counties population wise in the US.

For instance, Allegheny County only posted a .2% increase, but Butler county posted a 1.8% increase.

All in all, growth isn't the end all be all. It's kind of funny how half the people on city-data come on here to complain about how their cities, towns, and counties are getting overrun with traffic, cost of living, and declining quality of life and the other half come on to complain they aren't matching the growth rates of the places getting "over run". Frankly every place has it's positives and negatives.

If anyone is curious about the dashboard I was looking at to get these numbers: https://beta.bls.gov/maps/cew/PA?per...ow&ownerType=0

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 02-24-2020 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-24-2020, 07:41 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Idk why it's that surprising. Pennsylvania is like a tortoise. Slow and steady. They release those numbers every month and every quarter for that dashboard he got it from. If you really look at the 2013-2019 numbers, you can see Detroit's numbers are front loaded with a majority of the gains in the first few years. The collapse of the auto industry in 2009 absolutely decimated Michigan's economy. The last two years, Detroit's economy has sputtered pretty badly, posting either flat or negative job growth.

State % change in employment for all industries:
2013-14
MI: 1.6%

2014-15
MI: 1.5%

2015-16
MI: 2.2%

2016-17
MI: 0.9%

2017-18
MI: 0.7%

2018-19
MI: 0.2%

Oakland County, MI | Detroit MSA | +63,982 jobs
Wayne County, MI | Detroit MSA | +48,172 jobs
Macomb County, MI | Detroit MSA | +27,893 jobs
total: 140,047

Philadelphia County, PA | Philadelphia MSA | +69,573 jobs
Montgomery County, PA | Philadelphia MSA | +36,797 jobs
Allegheny County, PA | Pittsburgh MSA | +19,445 jobs
total: 125,815

Not all counties are created equally either, Michigan counties tend to be larger in land size.
Michigan's largest counties (population/land size):

1,202,362 / 868 sq mi
1,753,893 / 612 sq mi
840,978 / 479 sq mi
3,797,233 spread out over 1959 sq miles
71 jobs added per mile for a population of 3.8 million

Pennsylvania's Largest Counties (population/land size)
1,584,138 / 134 sq mi
799,884 / 483 sq mi
1,218,452 / 730 sq mi
3,602,474 spread out over 1,347
93 jobs added per sq mile for a population of 3.6 million

You can draw your own conclusion, but in my opinion, when factoring in job density, land size, and actual population size, I am not going to say Michigan's large counties performed all that much in comparison to Pennsylvania's, especially in the last several years. Counties don't live in a vacuum by themselves either. There are several other counties posting higher percentage gains but they aren't a part of the top 100 largest counties population wise in the US.

For instance, Allegheny County only posted a .2% increase, but Butler county posted a 1.8% increase.

All in all, growth isn't the end all be all. It's kind of funny how half the people on city-data come on here to complain about how their cities, towns, and counties are getting overrun with traffic, cost of living, and declining quality of life and the other half come on to complain they aren't matching the growth rates of the places getting "over run". Frankly every place has it's positives and negatives.

If anyone is curious about the dashboard I was looking at to get these numbers: https://beta.bls.gov/maps/cew/PA?per...ow&ownerType=0

What does land area have to do with anything? It doesnt change the fact that the Detroit metro is doing better than PAs largest counties and employment centers.

Franklin County (Columbus) and Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) are the two largest counties in Ohio. They added more jobs than Philadelphia and Allegheny Counties, PAs two largest counties.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
What does land area have to do with anything? It doesnt change the fact that the Detroit metro is doing better than PAs largest counties and employment centers.

Franklin County (Columbus) and Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) are the two largest counties in Ohio. They added more jobs than Philadelphia and Allegheny Counties, PAs two largest counties.

Because county sizes are completely arbitrary and vary greatly as I pointed out? You could add up multiple counties in SE PA to get the same size of those places and what do you know, they have created more jobs. Is that clear enough?

Old 02-25-2020, 07:53 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Because county sizes are completely arbitrary and vary greatly as I pointed out? You could add up multiple counties in SE PA to get the same size of those places and what do you know, they have created more jobs. Is that clear enough?
Don't waste your time with this troll. He's been trolling the Pittsburgh forum for years. Some Columbus Ohio boaster

Old 02-25-2020, 12:42 PM

121 posts, read 98,312 times
Having lived in Oakland for my four years at Pitt and growing up in Philadelphia and having many friends who live in and around University City I think that they are of similar size, just a feeling no facts to back it up. I think University City is growing faster however just with the amount and size of buildings under construction there. Yes there were a few 8 to 12 story buildings to go up in Oakland over the past few year but that is small compared to FMC, UCity Square, many 20+ story residential, growing biotech companies, Schuylkill Yards (eventually). The thing that Oakland really has going for it that makes its density really stand out is the Forbes/Fifth corridor. The entire stretch through Central Oakland is all mid rise buildings plus which gives it a real urban feel, especially with the vibrancy during the school year.

I am surprised that North Shore was included in Downtown Pittsburgh as it is across a river and feels very disconnected from the Golden Triangle where as Locust Street still feels part of Center City. Interesting that there are more jobs in university City than the Golden Triangle

Old 02-26-2020, 02:12 AM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Been there, done that. For someone looking for a studio/1BR it's getting too expensive for my liking(including Pottstown WTF), and digging around on bls.gov, the wages in my field aren't much different from Central PA or the Lehigh Valley. I do have family in Philly which is a plus.

But yeah, I figured Lancaster, the Lehigh Valley and Harrisburg would be good bets.
WTF indeed.

I was up in Pottstown for a visit for my upcoming community guide, and houses for sale there can be had dirt cheap, and the rehabs are genuine bargains.

What are the rents you found there? That strikes me as odd too. A number might help me make sense of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post

I am surprised that North Shore was included in Downtown Pittsburgh as it is across a river and feels very disconnected from the Golden Triangle where as Locust Street still feels part of Center City. Interesting that there are more jobs in university City than the Golden Triangle
My thoughts when I saw those figures were:

North Shore:Golden Triangle :: University City:Center City

Old 02-26-2020, 09:11 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
WTF indeed.

I was up in Pottstown for a visit for my upcoming community guide, and houses for sale there can be had dirt cheap, and the rehabs are genuine bargains.

What are the rents you found there? That strikes me as odd too. A number might help me make sense of it.
Less than 2 years ago you can find 1BRs in Stowe or Coventry for as little as $700. Now it's up to $900 minimum.

Where I lived off High Street studios were under $600 Today it's around $700, and this is in the hood. The north and east ends are between $800-$1200 for a studio/1BR. and they don't include most utilities. Might as well move to Bucks or Delco if I wanted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania