Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 AM

2 posts, read 14,383 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to somewhere on the east coast within the next two years. I was looking into PA and I am pretty much stuck there. Are there any cities here that aren't too crazy about high cost of living, have a good amount of jobs, and is pretty close to MD?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 AM

35 posts, read 78,493 times
The suburbs of Philadelphia are very healthy economically and free of crime. I would suggest looking in the western suburbs-West Chester-Malvern-Villanova-King of Prussia- Valley Forge area.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx2112 View Post
The suburbs of Philadelphia are very healthy economically and free of crime. I would suggest looking in the western suburbs-West Chester-Malvern-Villanova-King of Prussia- Valley Forge area.

I would agree that the quality-of-life in this area is great, but also keep in mind that places such as Malvern and King of Prussia do have a "high cost-of-living", at least relative to PA standards. In fact, the Philly 'burbs are the most expensive part of the state in which to reside; then again, I'm supposing it's simply a case of being forced to pay for that better quality-of-life. You don't even want to compare prices on similarly-sized and appointed homes in Scranton vs. Malvern or Ambler!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:56 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
My husband and I are planning on moving to somewhere on the east coast within the next two years. I was looking into PA and I am pretty much stuck there. Are there any cities here that aren't too crazy about high cost of living, have a good amount of jobs, and is pretty close to MD?

Thanks

I would suggest York County to you, as it borders MD and many local residents commute to work in either Baltimore or Harrisburg, both of which have healthy job climates. It's less expensive than the Philly 'burbs also.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 14,383 times
Thanks so much for the information! I am looking into Harrisburg, any thoughts?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:55 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,747 times
I don't really know Harrisburg well, been there and think it is a nice enough city... seems like there is a fair bit to do and see, close to a lot.

I can also recommend Lancaster county - more affordable than the philly suburbs, yet just a little bit further west. Ephrata, Lititz, Akron, VERY safe no matter what anyone may say... i haven't locked my doors in 5 years (I live in a western suburb of Ephrata) and about 1 hour to the MD border... takes about 2 to get to the inner harbor district.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,338 times
Talking York County is the place for me... Farm livin' is the life for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
Thanks so much for the information! I am looking into Harrisburg, any thoughts?
seconding the post above for York County -

I have lived here for 11 years (I'm from Atlantic City) and really appreciate it

You're (roughly) 30 minutes from Harrisburg, 2 hours from Philly, 3 hours from New York, have a smallish airport nearby, and can still have deer and wild Turkeys in your front yard. Lots of cultural opportunities, terrific Library System, and consistant growth in the area.

Great place to live.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,419 times
York is farther then 2 hours from Philly, more like 2 hours 45 minutes. York has positives and negatives, the good it's close to Baltimore and the Hunt Valley area, Timonium and etc. Hunt Valley is nice but the area closer to Baltimore is expensive. Not that Baltimore is a safe city but it has more going on then York.

The bad, well to me the crime in the city and the pollution along with the job market. I don't agree on the positive job market in York, I found the direct opposite when I lived there. If your an outsider, locals will treat you differently and as I stated elsewhere here, York has a certain mentality that many may find disturbing and hard to deal with.

There are some small nice towns in the area and I know plenty of people commute to MD if that's your thing maybe okay except during winter.

The Harrisburg area is hit or miss, some nice areas but a goverment driven economy being the state capital. I think the job market is a little better in Harrisburg, but not what it once was. Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg are quaint areas.

Anywhere close to Philly and it get's very expensive, even as far west as West Chester or Exton. From there it's Lancaster, Hanover, York and Gettysburg. If I had a choice it would be Gettysburg, but other then tourism there isn't much there, but make sure you do a search on for jobs before moving period.

I think Harrisburg will give you the best overall job picture.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:19 AM

6 posts, read 43,936 times
Harrisburg is having a hard time with their budgeting...seems like they are always broke as a city. I'd avoid there, for tax reasons. Lancaster and York counties are nice, just stay out of the cities.

The I-83 Corridor has nice towns and countryside. And very easy access to Baltimore, Hburg, Lancaster and York.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 72,244 times
Check into Cumberland County...Do you want to live in the City? or suburba? Mechanicsburg, Silver Springs Twp, Hampeden Twp. or you can go further out...Dillsburg, Gettysburg area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania