Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 07:06 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times

Advertisements

I think this article provides a sober assessment that Mastriano's nomination resembles Trump's in 2016, and too many people are underestimating his chances of winning. The Republican base is going to be extremely motivated with him as the nominee, and Democrats could be in for a rude awakening in November.

Did Democrats Make a Mistake by Hyping a Trumpy Insurrectionist in Pennsylvania?

"The biggest flaw in the Shapiro campaign’s thinking, by far, is its failure acknowledge that mainstream Republican voters actually want someone who backs Trump to the hilt in the way that Mastriano has. The primary has shown that showcasing his extremist views has already helped generate enthusiasm for his candidacy. If self-styled moderates and Never Trump conservatives flock to Shapiro, this will likely further boost Mastriano’s anti-establishment credentials."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:54 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I think this article provides a sober assessment that Mastriano's nomination resembles Trump's in 2016, and too many people are underestimating his chances of winning. The Republican base is going to be extremely motivated with him as the nominee, and Democrats could be in for a rude awakening in November.
I don't think anyone underestimates the right-wing fascism in the US any longer after Trump was elected.

The Republican base is very much a threat to the stability and future of democracy in this country. That should be more than obvious to any remotely reasonable person by now.

Now hear me out; I'm definitely not in a "dyed in the wool Democat." I'm a registered Independent. And the Dems are certainly not without flaw or misguidance.

But cries about the "far Left" and what they're capable of pale in comparison to the much stronger and honestly dangerous militia-like cultists of the right-wing in this country right now. If you don't believe it, look no further than the Buffalo mass shooting last weekend and Tucker Carlson-promoted "Replacement Theory." If that doesn't scare the shi*t out of the majority of America right now, I don't know what will.

The far Left is silly but harmless; the far Right would put this country firmly in a militaristic theocracy if empowered.

That's the honest truth.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:12 PM

732 posts, read 602,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The far Left is silly but harmless; the far Right would put this country firmly in a militaristic theocracy if empowered.

That's the honest truth.
It's really alarming. I don't know what it would take at this point to raise people's concern about something so basic as a state legislature stepping in to invalidate a popular vote simply with accusations, but no proof, of election fraud. I mean how basic can an issue be?

But I think we're so far beyond that now. The only hope, if there is any hope, is for younger people to engage as voters in much larger numbers. They may not be seeing the change they want with the speed they want it, they may not see candidates that "inspire" them, they may see candidates take positions in some cases that they really don't agree with even if the other side is infinitely worse, but...

It's more their future than mine that is hanging in the balance. I'm pretty old. I won't see the worst impacts of climate inaction. I am past child bearing, I was able to get an abortion when I needed one. I have my retirement safety nets, Medicare, Social Security, a good union pension. I have vehemently disagreed with Republicans on a host of issues, but never thought they'd try to prevent the transfer of power, especially outside the normal way of legal challenges in court.

It's a different world now. Maybe hearts and minds can be changed in the long run, but in the next decade at minimum this can only be stopped by dedicated turn out in elections. Otherwise, people will get what they didn't vote for. I will do my best in my small way to support the interests of younger generations, but I sure as hell can't do it for them.

Old 05-20-2022, 12:25 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone underestimates the right-wing fascism in the US any longer after Trump was elected.
Good God. Trump was elected by a bunch of unemployed coal miners and steel workers. Then Biden was elected by a bunch of recent college graduates worried that they can't get jobs to pay off their student loans.

If you think people are "radicalized" by losing their jobs and by going into permanent, lifelong debt at the age of 18 then we should be working to bring back jobs to America instead of calling each other names.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Quote:

The Republican base is very much a threat to the stability and future of democracy in this country. That should be more than obvious to any remotely reasonable person by now.

Now hear me out; I'm definitely not in a "dyed in the wool Democat." I'm a registered Independent. And the Dems are certainly not without flaw or misguidance.

But cries about the "far Left" and what they're capable of pale in comparison to the much stronger and honestly dangerous militia-like cultists of the right-wing in this country right now. If you don't believe it, look no further than the Buffalo mass shooting last weekend and Tucker Carlson-promoted "Replacement Theory." If that doesn't scare the shi*t out of the majority of America right now, I don't know what will.

That's the honest truth.
Ultimately where Pennsylvania (and the nation) go from here is up to the electorate's perception of current events and how they are being handled by the two major parties and their candidates.

Events of the last several years have suggested that concepts such as "democracy" and "peaceful transition of power" are not a primary focus for many voters. If they perceive (sometimes as a result of propaganda) that having an "extremist" in power means a smaller bill at the gas pump or grocery store, safer neighborhoods and an emphasis on learning the fundamentals at their schools, often people will support the "extremist" candidate. Almost 49% in Pennsylvania voted to give the last White House administration a second term, and it's easy to expect that Mastriano will win the overwhelming support of such voters, even if he repels others.

I personally will not support #MAGA type candidates under any circumstances, but I'm not under any illusions that a large part of the country sees any problem with their holding power - or seizing it if the official numbers aren't in their favor. Mastriano's landslide win in the primary suggests there is a large audience for such tactics, and in a state that is hardly as conservative as a couple dozen others across the country.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:29 AM

1,119 posts, read 517,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post

Did Democrats Make a Mistake by Hyping a Trumpy Insurrectionist in Pennsylvania?

"The biggest flaw in the Shapiro campaign’s thinking, by far, is its failure acknowledge that mainstream Republican voters actually want someone who backs Trump to the hilt in the way that Mastriano has. The primary has shown that showcasing his extremist views has already helped generate enthusiasm for his candidacy. If self-styled moderates and Never Trump conservatives flock to Shapiro, this will likely further boost Mastriano’s anti-establishment credentials."
Something that should hype our base up too is remembering how god awful Dictator Wolf handled the pandemic.

I’m VERY fired up to smear wussy man Shapiro and vote for Doug

Old 05-21-2022, 08:07 AM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6T1R View Post
Something that should hype our base up too is remembering how god awful Dictator Wolf handled the pandemic.

I’m VERY fired up to smear wussy man Shapiro and vote for Doug

LOL, you are literally going to vote for a wannabe dictator in November.

The GOP gov candidate openly declared it. That's cute though that you call Wolf one.

Bless your heart kid.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 517,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
LOL, you are literally going to vote for a wannabe dictator in November.

The GOP gov candidate openly declared it. That's cute though that you call Wolf one.

Bless your heart kid.
Enjoy your L in November kid. PA red wave.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:21 AM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
Quote:

LOL, you are still literally going to vote for a wannabe dictator in November.

The GOP gov candidate openly declared it. If you're having a red wave, there are women's hygiene products that can help you.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:28 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
You think? Middle of the road candidates will likely win. Extremists like Mastriano won’t get elected.

Plus I have yet to see the GOP plan for handling supply shortages, inflation, ongoing pandemic and the Ukraine conflict.

Methinks any GOP victories in the house will be short lived. Voted out in two years because they are running on grievance with no plan to tackle important issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: