Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:26 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times

Advertisements

Good. Ohio is embarrassing us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 10:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think both Democrats and Republicans feel they need to make their obligatory statements about bringing manufacturing jobs back to this country and being tough on crime. Presidents, governors, and congressmen have little ability to impact either of those issues.
But Fetterman is talking about being soft on crime, not tough. So in that he is genuine. But not on jobs? Really?

Old 09-04-2022, 02:46 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
I think both Democrats and Republicans feel they need to make their obligatory statements about bringing manufacturing jobs back to this country and being tough on crime. Presidents, governors, and congressmen have little ability to impact either of those issues.
Maybe, maybe not.

Beretta closed its factory here in Maryland down and moved operations to Tennessee during the O' Malley Administration due to his gun banning rhetoric and actual legislation that passed.

So policy decisions, which many times come from the Executive as well as actual legislation can impact manufacturing and crime.

Right now people arrested for serious charges (attempted murder, felon in possession of a firearm, burglary, etc.) are being released on the own recognizance due to new adopted policy guidelines for bail and what crimes to require it for, as well as the suspension of cash bail for many offenses.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
But Fetterman is talking about being soft on crime, not tough. So in that he is genuine. But not on jobs? Really?
I haven't heard "Fetterman is talking about being soft on crime," I've only heard Oz's commercials saying that about Fetterman. But think about this, what can U.S. senators do about being tough on crime?

Again, it makes good campaign rhetoric, nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

Beretta closed its factory here in Maryland down and moved operations to Tennessee during the O' Malley Administration due to his gun banning rhetoric and actual legislation that passed.

So policy decisions, which many times come from the Executive as well as actual legislation can impact manufacturing and crime.

Right now people arrested for serious charges (attempted murder, felon in possession of a firearm, burglary, etc.) are being released on the own recognizance due to new adopted policy guidelines for bail and what crimes to require it for, as well as the suspension of cash bail for many offenses.
I'm not familiar with the details of Beretta moving a factory to Tennessee. But I have to wonder what difference it makes what O'Malley said about banning guns. I know they reported that as the reason, but I have to wonder if they had outgrown their manufacturing facility and Tennessee gave them a great deal with tax incentives. Tennessee provided 100 acres of land worth $1.75 million and a 10-year tax abatement worth about $2.2 million. But if Maryland's tough new proposed gun laws are the reason it moved its factory to gun-friendly Tennessee then why did they leave sales, marketing, legal and customer service staff in Maryland?

Regarding people arrested for serious charges (attempted murder, felon in possession of a firearm, burglary, etc.) being released on the own recognizance, it may be happening somewhere, but I don't see it in Southwestern PA. In fact, who is responsible for "new adopted policy guidelines for bail and what crimes to require it for, as well as the suspension of cash bail for many offenses?" In PA, this would be the Republican legislature. Implementing those guidelines would be the responsibility of district attorneys. Since the majority of PA counties have a Republican majority of registered voters, I'm guessing there are more Republican district attorneys.

Old 09-05-2022, 05:16 AM

In Beretta's case the plans for the Maryland expansion had been approved up through site plan approval and permits were in process.

The reason the "office" operations are still here (although they're accreting to Tennessee very slowly) is right up the road twenty miles, lobbying and contracts.

The bail changes here are driven by some State's Attorneys, Court Commissioners (Maryland's District Justices) and the District/Circuit Court Judges.

Old 09-06-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard "Fetterman is talking about being soft on crime," I've only heard Oz's commercials saying that about Fetterman. But think about this, what can U.S. senators do about being tough on crime?

Again, it makes good campaign rhetoric, nothing else.
Nice tactic. Saying that Fetterman is not soft on crime, and then turning around and saying that it wouldn't matter if he was.

The term "soft on crime" is subjective, of course.

Fetterman wants to decriminalize drugs like heroin, Angel Dust, and fentanyl, and he wants to eliminate mandatory life sentences based on how the DA charges the defendant. That's just a casual search. I won't debate with you on this forever, because again it's subjective, so feel free to rebut me and that will be that.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:04 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Nice tactic. Saying that Fetterman is not soft on crime, and then turning around and saying that it wouldn't matter if he was.

The term "soft on crime" is subjective, of course.

Fetterman wants to decriminalize drugs like heroin, Angel Dust, and fentanyl, and he wants to eliminate mandatory life sentences based on how the DA charges the defendant. That's just a casual search. I won't debate with you on this forever, because again it's subjective, so feel free to rebut me and that will be that.
In that GOP War Room YouTube clip, Fetterman is describing the reaction of Democratic Senate Campaign Committee staff to his policy positions on drugs, not his own stance on heroin.

AFAIK and AFAICT, he has never publicly voiced support for legalizing anything except marijuana. He has called for safe injection sites and needle exchange, which he points out in that same video are policy only in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as of now. Those are considered part of a "harm reduction" strategy for heroin users, and that strategy does not extend to making the drug legal.

Of course, he also mentions the opioid crisis — and opioids are legal.

I just had to move to get out from under a crack addict who I was mistakenly charitable towards. Even after that, I'd still prefer to see cocaine legal (as it was prior to 1906; you all do know that Coca-Cola originally contained it?) and the tax revenues spent on the treatment these addicts need. I'd draw the line at heroin myself, though.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
In that GOP War Room YouTube clip, Fetterman is describing the reaction of Democratic Senate Campaign Committee staff to his policy positions on drugs, not his own stance on heroin.

AFAIK and AFAICT, he has never publicly voiced support for legalizing anything except marijuana. He has called for safe injection sites and needle exchange, which he points out in that same video are policy only in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh as of now. Those are considered part of a "harm reduction" strategy for heroin users, and that strategy does not extend to making the drug legal.

Of course, he also mentions the opioid crisis — and opioids are legal.

I just had to move to get out from under a crack addict who I was mistakenly charitable towards. Even after that, I'd still prefer to see cocaine legal (as it was prior to 1906; you all do know that Coca-Cola originally contained it?) and the tax revenues spent on the treatment these addicts need. I'd draw the line at heroin myself, though.
Sorry, I don't know what GOP War Room clip you are referring to.

As I said, I have no interest in debating this forever but I will say that I got my info on Fetterman's decriminalization position from a Fact Check that debunked a GOP claim that he wanted to legalize all drugs. Decriminalizing heroin and other hard drugs, and putting "safe shoot-up" sites in poor neighborhoods is enough dog whistle for me, thanks.

The part about Fetterman I like is his populist side. The side where he talks about bringing back manufacturing to the USA and tackling the opioid crisis that's devastating places like Braddock and other Pennsyltucky towns that are ridiculed as Alabama-like by the elites.

Old 09-06-2022, 08:34 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know what GOP War Room clip you are referring to.

As I said, I have no interest in debating this forever but I will say that I got my info on Fetterman's decriminalization position from a Fact Check that debunked a GOP claim that he wanted to legalize all drugs. Decriminalizing heroin and other hard drugs, and putting "safe shoot-up" sites in poor neighborhoods is enough dog whistle for me, thanks.

The part about Fetterman I like is his populist side. The side where he talks about bringing back manufacturing to the USA and tackling the opioid crisis that's devastating places like Braddock and other Pennsyltucky towns that are ridiculed as Alabama-like by the elites.
I did a Google search on "Fetterman calls for legalizing heroin" and that was the first link that came up.

Fetterman's a left-populist, which I think is one reason why the GOP ads against him aren't working as well as they otherwise might. But probably a bigger reason why they're not is that Fetterman has made Dr. Oz's carpetbagger status into a significant matter.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I did a Google search on "Fetterman calls for legalizing heroin" and that was the first link that came up.

Fetterman's a left-populist, which I think is one reason why the GOP ads against him aren't working as well as they otherwise might. But probably a bigger reason why they're not is that Fetterman has made Dr. Oz's carpetbagger status into a significant matter.
Which is somewhat hilarious from a party that encouraged another carpetbagger to run for a New York Senate seat in the not too distant past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania