Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 07:07 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Many of these best retirement lists make no sense. I don't see how the top 20 best retirement cities can be so dramatically different from list to list. I get if they are just focusing on small towns vs major cities, but some are based on just how cheap, some on how active you can be, some on housing costs, some on taxation.

It is a complete crap shoot.

As long as Boomers keep retiring, the click-bait will keep coming, and then it will be the Millenials turn.

It is never ending!
florida got expensive and was pushed off the list so PA was next in line. in terms of price and value I can see why, Pennsylvania's problems have been more for the working age folks. lancaster has been on the list for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 07:18 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Doesn't Pennsylvania have a lot of snow and ice in the winter? Just what the elderly don't want. They need hot hot hot, like Arizona and Florida.
Not nearly as much in the year 2024. Arizona and Florida will likely one day in the not-too-distant-future be too hot, hot, hot, as well, for living year-round.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:52 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
We picked our lake house in PA for many reasons, but one was the advantage of no retirement taxes. I still have 22 months until retirement, but we love visiting our house and have many friends in the area already. Our neighbors are amazing, and the people of DuBois are great. Rural PA definitely won me over, and I'm so glad we made the decision to retire there two and a half years ago.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not nearly as much in the year 2024. Arizona and Florida will likely one day in the not-too-distant-future be too hot, hot, hot, as well, for living year-round.
some parts of PA are colder and snowier than others (like NW PA/Erie/Bradford). there's a fairly big difference between williamsport and wellsboro, for example.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:45 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
We picked our lake house in PA for many reasons, but one was the advantage of no retirement taxes. I still have 22 months until retirement, but we love visiting our house and have many friends in the area already. Our neighbors are amazing, and the people of DuBois are great. Rural PA definitely won me over, and I'm so glad we made the decision to retire there two and a half years ago.

I think we talked before...we are practically neighbors...your house is a 'treasure'...

Old 02-20-2024, 10:39 AM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
Quote:
Doesn't Pennsylvania have a lot of snow and ice in the winter? Just what the elderly don't want. They need hot hot hot, like Arizona and Florida.
Wowza. I couldn't feel more differently. I came from the southwest, husband from Florida. For us both, couldn't get away from there fast enough, would never move back largely because of the heat. We're retired in south central PA now. There's snow now and then, but it's pretty occasional. Summers are too hot here too, but that's true (for my tastes anyway) just about everywhere. Maybe I need a summer home in the Yukon.

Old 02-20-2024, 07:37 PM

342 posts, read 318,736 times
Quote:
Like most of northern states, PA has four seasons. Many retirees are tough enough to deal with real winters.

Old 02-22-2024, 11:00 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Freeze! timeout! one of the posters in this thread was able to change their screen name - within the confines of this thread!....we can do that?

Old 02-23-2024, 10:29 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Like most of northern states, PA has four seasons. Many retirees are tough enough to deal with real winters.
My wife is not big on Winters, but we haven't quite decided how we're going to deal with them. I wouldn't mind a camper that we spend down south in.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Weather would be a con, but the real pro of Pa is the fact there is no state tax on any retirement income. That includes social security or anything reported on a 1099R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania