Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times

Advertisements

Eastern and Western Pennsylvania are like two completely different states. Different demograghics, different kinds of people, different accents ect. If you were King or Queen for the day, would you divide the state into two halves? It's a dumb question, but I'm coureous to see the responses. East and West Pa. truely are two very distinctly different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Eastern and Western Pennsylvania are like two completely different states. Different demograghics, different kinds of people, different accents ect. If you were King or Queen for the day, would you divide the state into two halves? It's a dumb question, but I'm coureous to see the responses. East and West Pa. truely are two very distinctly different areas.
Pennsyldelphia and Pittsburvania?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
How about Wilkes-Sylvania? Scrantropolis?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
How about Wilkes-Sylvania? Scrantropolis?
I can dig that!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Being a proud western PA resident for my entire life, yes I can agree that western PA and eastern PA are two distinct parts of a whole. While I also love my state and would not like to see it cut in half, I have had daydreams of selling Philadelphia (city/county) to NJ, just to ease the burden on the rest of the state .

But I've also had daydreams of annexing the state of Delaware to expand PA's presence

I know, crazy huh. As to your direct question, sure, for a day we could split the state in two.. almost down the middle ... or even better, follow the ridge line of the Alleghenies.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Being a proud western PA resident for my entire life, yes I can agree that western PA and eastern PA are two distinct parts of a whole. While I also love my state and would not like to see it cut in half, I have had daydreams of selling Philadelphia (city/county) to NJ, just to ease the burden on the rest of the state .
Lots of baggage for sure and there are a hundred thousand or so people, a dozen neighborhoods/public schools of Philadlephia I'd like to see disappear too but it easily blows the doors off of every other city in Pennsylvania.Not to mention just about every other city in the usa except perhaps NYC,Chi,and SF.

You could combine the downtowns of Pittsburgh,Erie,Harrisburg,Bethlehem,Allentown,Scr anton and they still would pale in comparison to Center City Philadlephia. Center City boasts 100,000 residents, 250,000 office workers, 50,000 students,5 million tourist, 750 retail + restaurant establishments,9 of the states top 10 night clubs (liquor sale receipts.)

8 Fortune 500 companies. The #4 ranked academic university in the usa(Penn). The #1 ranked Childrens Hospital of Pennsylvania in the USA. One of the best Medical colleges in the usa(Thomas Jefferson University)The First fill in the blank_ _ _ of the United States.Independence Hall,Liberty Bell,Constitution center,Philadelphia Museum of Art,ben Franklin Parkway,Fairmount Park,chestnut Hill etc etc etc..

I certainly wouldnt want to give all that away to New Jersey. Despite its problems Philadelphia is still the economic,cultural, and entertainment center to the 4th largest metro economy in the USA.

Last edited by rainrock; 06-18-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

I'm not sure how you can have a Bible quote under your ID then say something so deragatory (hypocrite), but I expected a comment like this one early on.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:19 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Bla bla bla. Maybe this us-versus-them attitude is part of what makes this state so danged insufferable.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,964,461 times
It seems that the Philadelphia area has the most in common with NJ, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is similar to upstate NY, southwestern PA is very similar to WV, and northwestern PA is simiar to Ohio.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
It seems that the Philadelphia area has thegirlmost in common with NJ, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is similar to upstate NY, southwestern PA is very similar to WV, and northwestern PA is simiar to Ohio.
This is an interesting way to put it, FightinPhils. However, I agree with Ohiogirl in that focusing on our differences is counterproductive. Pennsylvania is cool and unique for the very reason that it has distinct micro-cultures around the state.

Furthermore -- although I'm not necessarily referring to anyone on this forum -- I also detest what I've perceived as a resenting attitude that generally rural Pennsylvanians have toward Philadelphia and environs because it may not represent the rest of the state demographically (read: not white enough, too poor/rich, and too liberal). This is where our state began, folks, and if you're going to culturally isolate Pennsylvania's most important economic, educational, and cultural center (even in jest), then you're slighting not only our great Commonwealth's history, but its future, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania