Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,559 times

Advertisements

Good Day All,

I am currently living in Northern Virginia, but may need to relocate to Erie County, PA so my fiance can attend Pharmacy School. I am a Mathematics teacher. Any ideas on the quality of schools in the county (i.e. the students and administration) also any "old" math teachers looking to retire at the end of this year? Any information that you can supply will be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
hopefully someone local will provide you with more insite.

We reseached the area quite a bit a few years ago as we were thinking of a possible transfer from near Pittsburg to Erie. Best schools I found were in MillCreek and Fairview. The area WEST of 79 we alot nicer and having 3 kids I was pleased with the schools in both those districts!

(we now live in NOVA!!)

Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,559 times
Default Thanks for the reply

Yeah, I was sort of hoping to get further west than Erie. I was thinking of either Girard or Springfield. I would probably take anywhere in Erie County because it shouldn't be too bad of a drive for her. Most of the school districts, I believe, are within an hour drive. I may also be willing to go to Warren or Crawford Counties (within reason). Possibly live in between so we both have the same amount to drive.
Also, what do you think of Norther Virginia? I currently work in Winchester, but I live in Star Tannery - if you ever heard of it.

Thanks again,

Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
I lived here as a kid and can't believe how overdeveloped it is!!
we lived in McLean and bought a farm in Chantilly, now that farm is a new deveopment of houses!! Crazy.

Fairview is WEST of Millcreek and it beautiful. probably the most afflunet area there and schools are excellent!!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 AM

13 posts, read 58,412 times
Default Look at Crawford County Area also.

You can always check out http://www.goerie.com they provide the classifieds.

I live in Meadville and commute to Erie everyday to attend PSU, it's not to far of a commute and opens up many school systems. The biggest hurdle you may come across is there seems to be more teachers in the area then jobs. Edinboro University graduates many teachers every year and some like the tri-county area. PennCrest (Cambridge and seagertown) schools are very small but very good schools.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,952 times
Default Info on Erie County

As far as schools are concerned in Erie Co., Fairview is one of the best for public schools. However, not knowing your financial status, it is known for being the "rich" kids school. Fine for young children but for teenagers who aren't "rich," could be a problem. Known people who've graduated from there & wouldn't let their own kids go there because of snobby, elitist attitude. If you're rich or have high ideals, maybe this won't be a problem. I've lived here for 45 yrs so I know quite a bit about the area. Politically speaking, Erie is a highly, HIGHLY Democratic town. It is a very BLUE county. This is not to say that there aren't conservative people but the vast majority of people view life from a democratic viewpoint-- blue collar union mentality! A number of large manufacturing businesses have closed due to this attitude-- we deserve more $$, etc. If you are planning on only being here for a short time (until husband completes his schooling), then a lot of these issues may not be important. Millcreek schools are strong but very large. I graduated from McDowell (Millcrk school)-- class of 740. There are plenty of private schools around here-- all good. Prep is known as the best but has rep for being rich kids elitist school. Cancer is high around here. Recent newspaper article in Erie Times shows 210 deaths/100,000 people. PA average 200 deaths/100,000 people. United States average 184 deaths/100,000 people. Do not drink unfiltered water. Put in reverse osmosis if you move here or whole house filter. Cancer is high due to 100+ yrs of manufacturing-- chemicals have been dumped everywhere including the lake. Positives-- Presque Isle State Park, lake, Tom Ridge Center, close to skiing-- Peak N Peak in Clymer, NY, shopping. Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania