Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
I don't think you'll find good diversity with good schools between me and Wyomissing/Reading, though. That said, I'm hoping that diversity will improve over time in our area as the ongoing suburban sprawl from Philly and other more diverse/urban areas (e.g., West Chester) spreads out further. Of course, that won't happen overnight.
I'd have to agree with this assessment, but I don't think Southeastern PA is anywhere out of the ordinary in this regard. In terms of national demographics, minorities are typically concentrated in more urban areas (here this would qualify as Reading, Norristown and Philly), while whites typically make up the vast majority of suburbia. Nevertheless, I have started see a slight shift here recently, and I expect that trend to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 20,027 times
Wyomissing School Are The Best...... Also Shillington School Are Great Too But You Dont Want Reading....... But Wyomissing Is Very Expesive, But The Houses Are Nice.... Shillinton Is Much Cheaper And The Elementary Got Blue Ribbons... Shillington And Wyomissing Are Very Close By

Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 15,171 times
Default moving to wyomissing also

We too are considering moving to Wyomissing this summer. My husbands job will be off Rt 10 towards Morgantown, PA. A Realtor showed us many homes (mostly new builds from $350-550K) near Morgantown in the Twin Valley school district. You could look there (probably 20 min. to Reading). I found one web site greatschools.net that rates public schools across the country. Keep in mind that the ratings are mostly based on test scores, but the site has much info about student:teacher ratio, parent comments and ratings...etc. Based on this and from driving around the area, I decided to focus on Wyomissing Hills, Springridge Elementary (Wilson district), and Twin Valley. Get a relocation package from a realtor. It will have a map of Berks Co. with the district lines. It will be easier to see which schools are in which districts. I personally fell in love with parts of Wyomissing (along Parkside Drive/ Old Mill Rd. near the Wyomissing Highschool) and also Wyomissing Hills. Be aware that the property taxes on a newer 500K home will likely be around 10K per year. Good Luck! Maybe we will become neighbors.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,117 times
Hey, You definately have a ton of options. The hands down best school district in this area is Wilson School District. My daughter goes to Spring Ridge Elementary School, and it is absolutely fabulous. You definately want to check into an area in wyomissing/sinking springs area. and if you have a dog I have an excellent Mobile dog Groomer. check out mike's mobile mutts (http://www.mikesmobilemutts.com - broken link)

Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 AM

54 posts, read 224,850 times
I would have to say that Antietam is the best school district. But you can't go wrong with the others that were mentioned. Although I hear Mifflin is strting to slide. And you couldn't pay me enough to send my kids to the Reading School District.
There's all this talk about turning Reading around and getting people to buy property in the city. But I never hear anyone mention fixing the schools. The people they are trying to attract will not send their kids to Reading schools!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Wyomissing has one of the best public school systems in the state. Jacksonwald Elementary( Exeter) is also one of the best grade schools in the county.Oley is highly rated too, although smaller. Really Berks has great schools( but not Reading), and there's no need to relocate and drive half an hour or more, especially when you'd be paying more for housing and taxes and probably not living in a better area, generally speaking. Don't let Reading's crappy reputation scare you, the rest of the county is highly desirable, ranging from rural to middle class to affluent to downright wealthy.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,564 times
Where did you end up moving? I am from Atlanta and my husband and I relocated to Wyomissing. The area we are in near Reading Blvd/Wyomissing Blvd is really really nice and the wyomissing high school is great! It is right by the park and bike trails by the high school and museum.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraHW View Post
Where did you end up moving? I am from Atlanta and my husband and I relocated to Wyomissing. The area we are in near Reading Blvd/Wyomissing Blvd is really really nice and the wyomissing high school is great! It is right by the park and bike trails by the high school and museum.
Hello there! My husband and I are relocating from Houston, TX. His company has an office in Sinking Spring, so we will be looking all around in that area for a house.
How do you like it there? Can you offer some helpful tips; I have never been to PA, but am looking forward to the move.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and congratulations on your move!
Stephanie

Old 10-25-2008, 12:26 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Hi~

We are also relocating to the Reading area; wyomissing/sinking spring, for my husband's job.
I have spent many hours researching the school districts and have had the opportunity to speak with a few people who are familiar with the area. Wilson School District seems to be great as well as the Wyomissing district.
The Wyomissing district seems much smaller however, so we were finding that our housing search was becoming more difficult.
The market in PA (at least in that area) seems much better off than where we are moving from in MD. We can get much more of a house there for much less and the homes are moving there, at least it seems that they are moving quicker.

We have been looking at many of the different Elementary schools within the Wilson school district and they all seem to be very good. I have used schoolmatters.com for some of our comparisons.

Good Luck to you and your family!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Stephanie P,
Have you in fact relocated from Houston to Wyomissing? My husband and I live in Houston and he is interviewing in Wyomissing! How has the transition been? What suggestions do you have for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania