Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2006, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,736 times

Advertisements

Husband's job is relocating him to this area of PA. I know absolutely nothing about this area or PA. We have a son that will need a good school (going into the 7th grade this year). Only son-first priority. Job will have husband on the road a lot from Scranton-Bloomsburg-Milton-Harrisburg. He initially will be in Milton-Bloomsburg area. Anyone have any pros/cons on the area housing, schools, shopping, people, Baptist churches? We are from Houston. This will be a major change of lifestyle for all of us. Many THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 37,860 times
Wish I was on here sooner. I'd say come to Bloomsburg! We've got many great, active churches. The thing about this area is that it's very German so even the Baptist church will most likely be subdued to what you are used to. Bloomsburg has 2 school districts, Bloomsburg Area and Central Columbia. We live in the Central school district and I'm very happy with the education that my children are receiving. Many homes in the Bloomsburg area are within 5 -10 minutes of I-80 so commuting to Milton or Harrisburg will be easy.

If you are already in this area, I hope you found a great home and are enjoying the area.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:16 PM

7 posts, read 26,891 times
Thank you Deb. I am also interested in the Bloomsburg area. Will be moving just to get away from the high cost of living here in the Manhatten area. And no, I'm not planning on commuting. I know Bloomsburg is a college town. Anything I should be watching out for in that area? Also I have my elderly mom coming with me, do you have any idea about services for seniors?
Thank you again.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,469 times
I lived in Milton when I was a kid in the first half of the '60s and I went to school there from 1st to 6th grade.

Milton was and is still somewhat of an industrial town. Even though only a few factories remain, the old culture has somewhat endured. Milton was a tough place for a kid to grow up in. It was essential to be able to psychically defend one's self. Fistfights in school were almost an everyday occurrence back then. I do however believe it's not so much like that anymore.

Milton was almost destroyed during the flood of '72 and has undergone a major transformation. There isn't much of main street left and practically nowhere to shop if you're into shopping. They have one remaining grocery store and as far as I know, no department stores. Most of the factories have closed and moved overseas. All that's left is Chef Boy-Ar-Dees, one small steel mill and ACF which used to make freight train cars but now only refurbishes them. However, the people are for the most part friendly and it has a low cost of living. It's very close to I-80 and Rt. 147 which are major highways.

Bloomsburg is a bedroom community with a large local mall and almost every chain store and restaurant known. It also has a lot of cultural events and home of the largest State Fair in Pa. and Bloomsburg University. The students can be a huge nuisance if you live near the college. Bloomsburg is nationally know for the amount of parting the students do. I imagine the cost of living is much higher in Bloom than it is Milton

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2007 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
IMO- bloom is your better bet. on the other hand milton is near lewisburg- so ild be open to that town as well.

both places are a sceen out of norman rockwell.

[tho] if one is looking to get rich here. dont hold your breath.

ild buy in either town- depending on the property.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 26,891 times
Thank you for the info everyone. I will be headed out that way again at the end of the month. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my house and find another at the same time!! That's always fun.

Texas, good luck to you also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania