Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 24,095 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our family has been living in southwest Florida for almost 20 yrs. My husband is currently pursuing a job opportunity in South Walton and we have been researching the area. We've never been to the Florida panhandle. How is the area compared to lower down the peninsula? My main concern is for my kids. We worry that the area is a bit "isolated." I have three kids at home, two teenage boys and a 6 yr old daughter. My impression on the panhandle beaches area is that it's all geared towards tourism with no real regard for the locals. Is this correct? Are there many kids in the area, and what is there for them to do, other than the beach? What about shopping? It looks like most stores are either higher end boutiques or tourist related. We tent to shop at Kohls, Sam's Club, Target and the like. Will we have to travel upwards of an hour to find these types of stores?

Thank you very much. I don't want to get the wrong impression of the area and would love some input from the locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Any input? Can someone with kids please give me an impression of the area? Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
South Walton/30A is pretty much a series of very small towns along about a 50 mile stretch of US 98 between the bigger (think Punta Gorda-sized but much younger. Much, much younger.) small metros of Panama City and Destin-Ft. Walton Beach. You can find most of the usual big box stores in either of those areas, though sadly the nearest Costco is going on three hours away in Tallahassee.

With teenagers, I'd tend to lean more toward the western (Destin) side of the area since PCB is still a major college spring break destination and offers the high school set a lot more opportunities to get themselves in trouble than going to Destin for movies and other entertainment options would.

In terms of the times when you need something actual big city, New Orleans is about a four hour drive one way, and Atlanta/Orlando/Tampa are just under six hours drive.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM

Thank you! I didn't realize that Panama City and Destin-Ft.Walton weren't bigger cities, I had the impression they were. I grew up in an area where the stuff to do was more than 30 minutes away in any direction, but I'm not sure how my kids will react to that. The area is absolutely gorgeous by what I'm seeing though!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM

207 posts, read 752,564 times
There is a Target in Destin and FWB. Kohls is in FWB and Pensacola. No Costo! (Theres also one in Motgomery, AL slightly over 3 hours north) South Walton is a bit isolated and tends to cater to the retiree/snowbird crowd. I think this area is isolated but thats what some people prefer. (I have teenagers as well) What part of S. Florida are you coming from so we can do comparison?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM

I'm in the Fort Myers area. Your tourist season is in the summer, correct? Ours is just gearing up here. We do have a lot of locals, though. Our school district has over 75,000 children!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Yeah. Summer is tourista season in these parts.

And winters can be a bit chilly here if you're used to south Florida- figure a couple weeks in January or February where you're lucky to see 50F, and 2-10 nights a year below freezing, even along the coast.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
I live over in Daphne, AL....around 2.5 hours west of the 30A strip, but have been there several times and take weekends over there to relax. I actually love the area, but it is very isolated. Like everyone else said, it's a string of small picturesque beach towns with mostly boutique shops and small independent restaurants. It's a very exclusive and pricey area; however, it is very laid back.

You will have a bit of a drive going "in town" to Destin or Panama City for your big box stores. Summertime traffic is a nightmare along 98, especially with most folks being tourists not knowing where they're going. I somewhat consider myself a local though---close enough, been there enough, know the routine, etc.

Your kids might get bored unless they just love the water and small town life. It is geared toward the upper middle aged well-off and retiree crowd--folks with money that need not worry about an excellent job market. There just really isn't much to do; but for some, that's ok. Again, plan for a 30 min. drive to Destin or Panama City if the kids want to go "clubbing" or do teenager type things: movies, bowling, malls, etc.

I'm only 31 but have traveled extensively throughout the US for the past 6 years. I'm pretty much over the hustle and bustle of the big cities (though I don't live in one, I'm usually in one), the stressful corporate lifestyle, etc. It hasn't taken me a lifetime to figure out that stuff is not all it's cracked up to be! I would love to live along 30A, go to a simple job to put in my hours, and go home to walk on the beach, ride a bicycle, fish, etc.

Chances are, when your kids are college age, if they choose to pursue college, they will move off elsewhere to attend and find jobs. It's pretty much a tourist market here unless you get into your basics that all places have: healthcare, accountants, lawyers, real estate agents, etc.

Good luck. It's a great place to be though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola