Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times

Advertisements

Questions for the locals (or any knowledgeable visitors) as I am considering several opportunities in the Pensacola area:

1. I'm considering an opportunity on "Mobile Hwy", NW of downtown Pensacola - is the commute doable from Gulf Breeze daily? Navarre daily?

2. How is the Pensacola Bay Bridge for a daily commute? Any hazards for commuting (thunderstorms, winds, etc)? How is the summer traffic on this bridge? Is this a toll bridge?

3. When will construction on the new Pensacola Bay Bridge start? Are delays expected for those traveling this bridge daily?

4. For the Pensacola metro, where are the excellent public schools located? (based on old threads, Gulf Breeze is mentioned and maybe Navarre - any others?)

5. For those that live in the Pensacola area, do you ever need to drive to Ft Walton Beach/Destin for any amenities (shopping, retail, activities, etc)?

6. My children are involved in ballet and competitive swimming - can anyone comment on these available activities in the Pensacola metro?

7. I'm a Costco member - is there any discussion/rumors of a Costco in the FL Panhandle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
1. Commute is doable from Gulf Breeze...forget Navarre. Traveling down Hwy 98 every day is a bear, especially when school is in session. The elementary, middle, and high schools in the City of Gulf Breeze (referred to as Proper) are all next to each other right on Hwy 98.

2. Bridge is often backed up...accidents are common. Only time they close the bridge is in heavy winds from tropical storms or hurricanes. Not a toll bridge. Traffic in the summer sucks when everyone is flocking to the beach, mainly on weekends.

3. New bridge construction will start in the next few years. No idea about delays.

4. No excellent schools in Pensacola. Stick with Santa Rosa County (Pensacola is Escambia County).

5. No need to drive to Ft Walton/Destin unless you want to go outlet shopping (not my thing).

6. Plenty of ballet and swimming...can't make any specific recommendations.

7. I doubt Costco will build any time soon. The Panhandle for the most part is more of a WalMart/Sam's kind of place.

If you decide on Gulf Breeze try to live in the City and not "down the highway" as everyone refers to it. It will make your commute easier and your kids can walk/ride bikes to school and activities. You will also be a short 5 minute drive to Pensacola Beach.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,933 times
According to map times, the drive from Navarre to Pensacola locations is up to 50 minutes (in rush hour traffic) - is this inaccurate? If we move, I would be attending University of West Florida while my husband worked in Pensacola. We are unsure if Navarre is better location wise if we both will be eventually working in Pensacola and I will be commuting anyways to Pensacola for school... But 50 minutes isn't abnormal for where we live - so I was wondering if it's worse than what the maps are telling us because of course you are human and know better thanks

Old 01-22-2016, 09:16 PM

123 posts, read 334,067 times
You may want to take a look at Pace, FL as well. Schools in Santa Rosa County get better ratings than in Escambia County (Pensacola). My concern with Gulf Breeze would be the traffic over the bridge and traffic in general on weekends in the summer. We moved from Seneca, SC to Pace and our house is far enough inland that we are outside the hurricane evacuation area but it's a tolerable commute to the mall and other areas of Pensacola and the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola