Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 8,467 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Texas, will be moving to Pensacola in the near future, and are beginning to explore neighborhoods in P'cola. We found a lovely home in the Thousand Oaks neighborhood and were saddened to find out that it is not too far from the Exxon Mobil Plant. My concern is air quality and also the affect that this plant has on home values in the area. We were surprised that the home we found in Thousand Oaks was priced so low for the quality of the home itself, for the size of the lot and that the taxes were extremely low (compared to where we currently live in Texas). After reading numerous threads, I am trying to understand the major differences between living in Escambia County and Santa Rosa County. We really love the house in Thousand Oaks, but need more information about the area regarding air quality, impact of the plant on home values, and safety in general (crime). Are we better off in Santa Rosa County? Appreciate any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 08:32 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,613,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Mom View Post
Are we better off in Santa Rosa County?
Do you have children? If so, I highly recommend Santa Rosa County as the public schools are much better than Escambia (my opinion only). If you or your husband will be stationed/working at Pensacola NAS, realize Santa Rosa County will be a further (sometimes much further) drive. I'm not military but I don't think that the Pensacola NAS has on-base children's schools - if not, then investigate Santa Rosa county.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Question about Pensacola neighborhoods near Exxon Mobil Plant

Actually, my husband and I are both retired. We will not have to worry about commuting to work or school districts. My concern is directly related to the Thousand Oaks neighborhood and its close proximity to the Exxon Mobil plant. We found a lovely house in that neighborhood, but are concerned about air quality and whether or not the location of that plant has significantly impacted the home values in that neighborhood. You are so kind to respond and, if you have any information you could share, we would be so grateful! Thanks drfranklin!

Old 10-13-2016, 04:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
I assume you're talking about the plant in Cantonment? I haven't heard of any problems, however it is near the Ascend and Airgas plants, and there was an explosion there recently. I have never really noticed the air being polluted in that area, however you may smell the paper mill on certain days when the wind blows out of the northwest. Those are the major job producers in the area, so nobody complains about it too much.

One Killed During Major Explosion At Cantonment Airgas Plant : NorthEscambia.com

Old 10-13-2016, 08:59 PM

Thank you southernnaturelover for the link to the article about the explosion. So tragic that someone was killed. As lovely as it appears to be, I think this neighborhood may be too close to these industrial areas for our comfort! I really appreciate your insights.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:47 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,337,308 times
You really should look into Gulf Breeze, especially since you are retired and won't be commuting. I would start searching in Gulf Breeze Proper, which is the area that is incorporated. Lots of retired military live there, as well as a lot of families, so a good balance. Traffic is the main issue (especially in the summer when everyone is headed to Pensacola Beach), but you can plan around that since you are retired.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
If I really liked the house and the neighborhood, I would not let the industrial plants deter me from buying it. I have never noticed any air quality issues, my great aunt and uncle lived in that area until she passed away at 86 from heart problems, and my great uncle is still alive and over 90. If I were concerned with pollution it would be the runoff that comes floating down the Escambia River, but it's not like you can really avoid that with many coastal areas.

As far as diminishing home values, that would be a concern if the plants moved in after the homes were built, but that's not the case, those plants have been there longer than most of those neighborhoods. The bigger issue for home values would be if the neighborhood is going into decline, and that's pretty much a mixed bag for most of Escambia County, it varies according to the area. You just need to look at most of the neighboring homes... are the homes well maintained? Are the yards kept neat and tidy?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:06 PM

350 posts, read 416,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Mom View Post
My husband and I currently live in Texas, will be moving to Pensacola in the near future, and are beginning to explore neighborhoods in P'cola. We found a lovely home in the Thousand Oaks neighborhood and were saddened to find out that it is not too far from the Exxon Mobil Plant. My concern is air quality and also the affect that this plant has on home values in the area. We were surprised that the home we found in Thousand Oaks was priced so low for the quality of the home itself, for the size of the lot and that the taxes were extremely low (compared to where we currently live in Texas). After reading numerous threads, I am trying to understand the major differences between living in Escambia County and Santa Rosa County. We really love the house in Thousand Oaks, but need more information about the area regarding air quality, impact of the plant on home values, and safety in general (crime). Are we better off in Santa Rosa County? Appreciate any comments!

Go to =====>>>>
Scorecard Home

type in the zip code to see what the pollution is like. It will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect anywhere. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I really liked the house and the neighborhood, I would not let the industrial plants deter me from buying it. I have never noticed any air quality issues, my great aunt and uncle lived in that area until she passed away at 86 from heart problems, and my great uncle is still alive and over 90. If I were concerned with pollution it would be the runoff that comes floating down the Escambia River, but it's not like you can really avoid that with many coastal areas.

As far as diminishing home values, that would be a concern if the plants moved in after the homes were built, but that's not the case, those plants have been there longer than most of those neighborhoods. The bigger issue for home values would be if the neighborhood is going into decline, and that's pretty much a mixed bag for most of Escambia County, it varies according to the area. You just need to look at most of the neighboring homes... are the homes well maintained? Are the yards kept neat and tidy?

Your points are well taken! I really don't want to discount the neighborhood without driving the area and seeing it first hand. When one is relocating from another state, it is so helpful to get the insight of others who are familiar with the area. Thanks so much!

Old 10-16-2016, 07:20 PM

Great resource for information...thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola