Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times

Advertisements

I love FL so much better than AL and have many relatives just over the state line in Pensacola and Gulf Breeze. I really like going over to the beach frequently on the weekends, and the more I'm over there, the more I'd really like to live there. My question is.....is it worth it?

I know property taxes, insurance, and flood insurance is very expensive there compared to Mobile. The job situation over there is not so hot either just like here. I currently work in a position where I can live anywhere near an airport since I travel and telecommute. I'm an auditor but I don't have a CPA. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will be pursuing a career in nursing. She'll be in school a year or two; then plans on working as an RN.

I'm also worried about the hurricanes and the surge. I'm at 109 ft. above sea level here, and I'm in a 2nd floor apartment. Other than standard renters insurance, I live worry free when the storms hit (other than the town's mass chaos). I know if I move there, I will definitely have to get flood insurance.

I am just thinking a few years down the road once we're married and settled. Life is incredibly cheaper here and I can be at the beach in 2 hours or less AND I'm not directly in the line of fire. I'm close enough to almost or probably be considered a local already, but I'm not IN Florida and YES there are differences when you cross the state line. Is it feasible to try to find a job over there and take the huge jump in expenses or live where I am and drive 1-2 hours to the beach often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Culturally, Pensacola and Mobile are pretty Old South similar. The FWB area is its own little bubble with the military and the high tech weapons development crowd.

Hurricanes, you can get a fairly good idea of damage possibilities in different areas based on Ivan damage. Gulf Breeze and Destin are effectively giant sandbars. There are some parts of inland Pensacola, FWB and Niceville that have solid flood zone X designation, and Pensacola's got some hilly parts. Next time you're in Pensacola, check out the Scenic Hills/ Scenic Highway area just north of the airport. Some serious bluffs there, and if you stick west of the highway you aren't going to have to worry about hurricane damage.

In terms of taxes, property taxes are higher here. No sales tax on food and some other items judged to be essental. But then service levels are higher here too. Main roads in Florida tend to be built and kept to a higher standard than Alabama roads and the public school system has higher utilization rates and is frequently better quality. My impression is that crime rates are lower on the FL side as well.

Whether you find value in that higher level of service is up to you and your family. In general, it sounds like there is no right or wrong answer in your case, and it could easily come down to where your girlfriend could get into a good nursing program in a timely manner. (Some of the local nursing programs have demand far above the number of seats available)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola