Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 08:30 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I didn't see a Pensacola sub-forum, so feel free to direct me towards it if I just overlooked it. But feel even more free to simply answer me in this thread .

My wife and I are from Mobile, AL originally. We have lived the past two years in Saint Louis, MO. I am 29. She is 25. May 2010, we might be looking to move back to the gulf coast. The easy choice is Mobile, but we might want something different. We have only been to Pensacola two or three times in our lifetime, but have definitely liked it each time.

In STL and Mobile, it would be easy for a local to advise on the specific "good" areas of town to live, work, and play. Is this the same in Pensacola? If so, can you tell me what these various areas are and why we might like them? (aka short descriptions)

If you need to know more about us - we make a moderate income (combined between 40-50k). We are down to rent or buy, whatever is best at the time (if buying, less than 100k). We are definitely progressive/liberal in reagards to politics, but hold no hard feelings at all to those who do not share our views. We like city-life, but are not opposed to living in a suburb area moderately close to civilization. On a separate note, Is there a "midtown" in Pensacola? Is there a younger area? Would those areas be alright to live in? Also, what are the safer areas? What are the areas to avoid?

Just doing my research. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
Beautiful! You are welcome. P'cola has youthful areas especially downtown near the civic center. Lots of shops and historic sites to see and near the harbor. All sorts of art shows, gallery nights, entertainers that do shows on the regular and more. You can live in a nice neighborhood and be minutes from downtown historic P'cola. You most likely know about the various beaches minutes from any direction. Check with the Chamber of Commerce and Escambia County for more info. I've only arrived one year and truly love it. I met a very savvy, kind and resourceful realtor in the area. She will work with any income, any size family and renters as well as buyers. Re Max Horizons on Creighton. Love the homes and very affordable.
Now is the time. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM

147 posts, read 595,919 times
I'd personally stay away from West Pensacola. Although our 'nightlife' is downtown, it's not the 'best' area. And Pensacola is very spotty. You can have an exceptionally upscale neighborhood surrounded by what many would consider ghetto on all four sides. The university area would be what I would consider the young part of town. I'm sure you could find fair prices anywhere near 9 Mile Road. There are some older neighborhoods in gulf breeze that would fit into your budget as well. They aren't rundown or unsafe, in my opinion, just old. Also consider Pace. This is a very unknown town to those that aren't from around here. It's small and safe and up-and-coming, if you will. It won't get too big simply because there isn't much space to expand but the neighborhoods are newer, it has a great school system, there a couple new restaurants (nothing fancy, things like Chili's and such), a new target, et cetera. Although you will probably be paying close to $150k (guess) for new homes here, I'm sure you could buy from a current owner or rent in your price range. If you plan on having children, there's no better place for your kids than Pace, in my opinion.

I'm 24 with a bachelor's in healthcare management and am currently in nursing school. As soon as I graduate and obtain a year or so of experience, I will absolutely be moving. To me, there is just nothing here for young, ambitious people. I'm not trying to dissuade you, of course, all my opinions are subjective and everyone has different opinions, wants, needs, and sacrifices they are willing to make. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best to respond in an unbiased or objective manner!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:18 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
I think you would be just fine but Tallahassee may be more your speed just because its got more going on and probably can find a job easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola