U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,595 times
Reputation: 10
Arrow ssn search

How to learn ssn the person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: I'm around here someplace :)
1,667 posts, read 1,970,327 times
Reputation: 945
if the person is deceased you can probably find it on the Social Security Death Index.
if the person is alive, there's probably no legitimate reason to want someone else's number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,459 posts, read 3,409,219 times
Reputation: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
if the person is deceased you can probably find it on the Social Security Death Index.
if the person is alive, there's probably no legitimate reason to want someone else's number.
And if it's obtained without the persons permission, there is the possibility of Federal prison time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
 
8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Reputation: 6044
Well, a ssn does make it a lot easier to search for someone. A lot of public records will have an ssn such as divorce decrees, attachments to court suits, etc. Just having someone else's SSN if not illegally obtained or used to commit a fraud or crime, is not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM
 
1,845 posts, read 3,202,569 times
Reputation: 1731
On an internet forum you have no idea of the identity of the person making the request, what their intentions are, or if they are a relative or a stalker, so it's best to not give people a blueprint of how to get someone else's private info. And definitely don't publish any living person's SS number on the web, if you do have it. And actually, the courts now require that SS numbers be redacted from any filed papers. Besides federal privacy laws, in some states publishing someone else's SS number to any third party or on the internet is a crime.

Even though we are finding people and publishing their contact info here, we do try to respect the boundaries of privacy. We only use public records and phone books available to anyone. That way we don't have to double check each time to see if a number is is unlisted. If someone's paying for an unlisted number or a cell phone, we need to respect that. If the searcher wants to hire a PI or attorney, that's their right, but we don't need to take it to that level here on a free public forum. I'd be upset if someone published my unlisted numbers here. So why wouldn't I want to show that same respect and courtesy to everyone else?

There have been times when people with access to Pro databases have briefly helped on this board and published SS numbers, drivers license numbers, car make, model and vin numbers, criminal records, and I don't know what-all unnecessary private info. The rest of us were quick to hit the alert button for the mods to erase it. The OPs are just asking for an address or phone contact. There is no reason to embarrass the object of the search or expose them to identity theft or vehicle theft. The best guideline for the searcher is, "How would I like it if someone wrote this about me?"

I think most of us here are proud of the reputation City-Data People Search has obtained through the unselfish volunteerism of so many helpers. Many families have been reunited due to the combined efforts of the searchers on this forum. But we're aware it's just one lawsuit away from being shut down. We're pretty good at policing ourselves. You'll see statements like Tia's above, and such as "we don't search for minors," "If there's a custody order you need to see an attorney," We don't give out info on celebrities, cops, judges or prison staff." And so on. It's just common sense to stop and think if giving out info could contribute to a possible kidnapping or harm to to another. If you get a bad vibe, trust it. These aren't just names in a database, they are real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
 
8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Reputation: 6044
I am certainly not in favor of publishing complete social security numbers on an internet forum, but let's give some perspective to this matter. There have been hundreds of millions of actual social security numbers illegally appropriated and published. Tens of millions of people have access to data bases including social security numbers. Every person who: works in a bank, insurance company, state or local tax bureau, every school, college, college funding, admissions testing, brokerage, credit card company, hospital, doctors office, license bureau, court personnel, law enforcement, credit counseling, real estate title company, public utility billing. Every store and business where you have applied for credit. Every collection agency, law firm employee. Etc. etc. etc.

If a person wants to use a social security number illegally, the last place in the world they would want to look is on an Internet forum. The number does not come with any info about the user other than maybe his name and adress. But nothing about employment, assets, banking etc. which most of the other sources of social security numbers do.

Its sort of like there is a vast parking lot with keys in every car. And there is a box in the office with some keys with a tag and a make and model of car. If you are a car thief, are you stealing a car or a key and then find a car.

I am not suggesting that posting complete SSN's is a good idea. I just seriously doubt if it will increase the likelihood of anyone getting scammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
 
1,845 posts, read 3,202,569 times
Reputation: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
There have been hundreds of millions of actual social security numbers illegally appropriated and published.
Not a reason why we should do it too. Didn't your mom ever give you the "If your friends jumped off a cliff...." story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Tens of millions of people have access to data bases including social security numbers. Every person who: works in a bank, insurance company, state or local tax bureau, every school, college, college funding, admissions testing, brokerage, credit card company, hospital, doctors office, license bureau, court personnel, law enforcement, credit counseling, real estate title company, public utility billing. Every store and business where you have applied for credit. Every collection agency, law firm employee. Etc. etc. etc..
Yes, persons in positions of trust have access to numbers and must abide by federal and state privacy protection regulations. So? That doesn't give us the right to publish someone else's number here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If a person wants to use a social security number illegally, the last place in the world they would want to look is on an Internet forum. The number does not come with any info about the user other than maybe his name and adress. But nothing about employment, assets, banking etc. which most of the other sources of social security numbers do. .
Yeah, sure, posting someone's name, birthdate, address and phone along with their SS number won't expose them to any possible problems.
Let's test that..... post yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Its sort of like there is a vast parking lot with keys in every car. And there is a box in the office with some keys with a tag and a make and model of car. If you are a car thief, are you stealing a car or a key and then find a car..
No, it's not sort of like that at all.
Your argument is more like, "Some people rob banks. I can access my neighbor's bank account. Therefore I'm justified in spreading my neighbor's money all over the town square. The bank robbers won't look in the town square because they'd rather rob a bank than pick up money on the street."

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I am not suggesting that posting complete SSN's is a good idea. I just seriously doubt if it will increase the likelihood of anyone getting scammed.
If you post it, you just increased the odds. And it sits on the net forever, increasing the odds each day. ( An "odds" argument is rather weak. If you give a toddler a loaded gun with the safety on, odds are they won't be able to fire it anytime soon. So does that make it a good idea?)
But this isn't about odds, it's about respecting privacy and not putting City-Data in a position where the site may be violating state and federal laws.

There is absolutely no valid reason to post a person's SS number, in whole or in part, on this forum. The volunteers here prove every day they can find most people with ordinary means. Any person who needs to have a search done by SS number can hire a professional, and any professional who wants to volunteer here can do so without posting the ss number.

Spoiler

*Methinks Wilson is bored on a Sunday and just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,015 posts, read 7,293,318 times
Reputation: 3764
Just an FYI... publishing the SSN of a living person is against the rules of this forum, such posts will be deleted.
__________________
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Henry David Thoreau


forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top