Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM

260 posts, read 947,431 times

Advertisements

Ok, here is the problem; my husband was adopted back in the early 80s. I posted here with his information and what we knew about his birth. He doesn’t have a single name (besides his own) that can help him look up his birth family. The problem is that I am not sure what to do or where to start the search.
He was adopted in PA which is a closed records state and the vital records office will not disclose any info unless the birth mom had filed a waiver or something (which she has not). I think that this search is even more complicated because for some reason I don’t think his Birth family might be up to date with the rules and regulations in PA when it comes to being contacted by children that were relinquished for adoption. I contacted the SSA and they said that in order for them to forward a letter to his birth mother, they have to have a lot of information and such, but we only got his name before the adoption, county of birth and that is it. I have been to a few registry sites and check for his name. I been to adoptiondotcom, the PA adoption registry, adoptiondatabasedotorg and other places…but no luck.
Does anyone know of a process in which we might be able to obtain more information? I’m sure that if we had at least her name, we could locate her and maybe my husband’s 2 siblings. Please, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by yayamyers; 03-12-2008 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Have you googled just his name prior to the adoption and his birthday?

I'm not sure what else you can do, maybe put some adds in the right papers. Is there no route to get a court order to open that information? Does your husband have medical problems that a doctor could swear he needs to have that information?

I had a letter from two doctors saying this to open my records.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,557 times
Have you tried iwasadopted.com? I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the search process or this site, but it might be helpful.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 95,380 times
adoptiondatabase.org has 12,000 people registered for searches. Maybe his mom is already on there.
It's free, supported strictly by donations. No ads, no hidden charges, no selling your name to marketers. They have a Google Group, too, where you can post his info and ask for help. There are 3,000 members, so you'll get plenty of help and advice.
There is also an optional no-find/no-fee search service available at AD. You do pay $25 registration up front. Then when/if there is a FIND, you pay the remaining $175.

Good luck,
LisaKay
b. January 1963, Gainesville, Florida
ISO bMother "Sandra Strickland", born around 1942
ISO bFather UF Law - Class of 1964 [5'9", brown hair & eyes] born around 1938

Old 05-09-2008, 06:01 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
With adoptiondotcom, did you go to both sides? There is the main side, then you also need to look in the message board, you can do the state one and if you have the agency name, can do that as well.

I joined there years ago, detailed post, but never realized there was the main side. Once we put the info on the main side we found him.

btw, also try different spellings of names. They had my mothers name wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search