Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM

167 posts, read 518,027 times

Advertisements

What are the best companies to use when trying to find someone.

Anyone familiar with Net Detective?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM

1,724 posts, read 2,493,640 times
(Save your money.) Why not just start a post of who your looking for on here and one of the searches might find them for you for free.

Bill

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 2,493,640 times
Before purching anything from these companys you should check with the Better business bureau Untitled
Also check this one. Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers

Bill

Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM

167 posts, read 518,027 times
Default Net Detective

Great advice. thx

Old 05-19-2009, 06:59 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I had Net Detective for a while and really wasn't happy with it. They didn't seem to have up to date information for a lot of things I needed. I now use a program called Accurint, which is a product of LexisNexis (for the legal profession). I have been very happy with Accurint.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM

838 posts, read 2,241,729 times
Twinkle Toes,
Unless things have changed, they would not let the general public subscribe to accurint. I was hoping things would change as it is a powerful tool. I used it years ago at a business I worked for. They don't have it where I work now.
Do you know if they have opened up their services to the public or is it still just businesses and the legal profession?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 38,471 times
I have been in this industry for over 2 years so I think I can answer you this question.

What I do know is that Net Detective is a company probably run by one man or (at most 5 men) that is part of those 'half-scam companies' that say they can give you access to ANY public record for money (this is not true because some public records and obtaining them is taken offline and costs some money.) Here is the BBB rating of Net Detective: BBB of Central Florida: BBB Reliability Report. F - the lowest one.

The ONLY three good background check companies I recommend you deal with are:
searchsystems.net
ussearch.com
intelius.com (beware of the discounts they offer if you sign up with their partner - Trial Identity Protect because many people simply forget to cancel the payment after a month so they get charged automatically so they come and scream - INTELIUS IS A SCAM when, in fact, it uses a forces continuity program...nothing scammy here just it annoys some people who easily forget things.)

I'd recommend you go with US Search or Intelius and if you need to do unlimited searches go with Search Systems. I am talking here on finding BACKGROUND CHECK information like various types of records which can be find mostly for FREE but because they are spread on many sites and many offices it can take you long time to find. So you are basically paying here for saving lots of time and having more convenience.

For records like names and address go with basic services like WhitePages and Anywho. However, for a HISTORY of addresses changed and home numbers (not available through whitepages) go with Intelius or US Search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImtheGR8Pretendr View Post
You don't say what sort of info you are looking for or who, but there are a number of different FREE public records sites that might be of some help.

Try these:
People Finders by PeopleData is Free (This is ONLY for looking for people in the US)
Background Check - Background Checks - Free Search - BeenVerified (they have a free report they email you, but you can purchase additional records)
http://detectiveforums.com (http://detectiveforums.com/ - broken link) (This website is good for anyone who is trying to do their own researching and need help from actual detective agencies FREE OF CHARGE. It is a website to GATHER INFORMATION AND RESOURCES ONLY. You can ask general questions, but individual names and identifying information is blanked out and otherwise edited...The administrators of the site actually work as private investigators and many are former law enforcement officers.)

There are very few sites that offer FREE lookups anymore (especially with the state of the economy and job market) and many appear to be free, but when you click on them to try to get info, they want a minimum of $1.95 and a credit card. Intelius.com and MyLife.com are not only both known for this, but they are behind a number of these websites doing this.
Off the things you gave I saw value in the forums only. People Finders redirects from Zaba Search and gets their info from there. Been Verified uses that service as a way to generate 'leads' if people are signed up for free they are more likely to pay for their service. They are a business. And business is about making money. If a business does not have a way to somehow convice its users to get their credit cards it will die. Period. I've been in this online marketing industry enough to know this.

So don't deal with Net detective.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan13202 View Post
Twinkle Toes,
Unless things have changed, they would not let the general public subscribe to accurint. I was hoping things would change as it is a powerful tool. I used it years ago at a business I worked for. They don't have it where I work now.
Do you know if they have opened up their services to the public or is it still just businesses and the legal profession?
I don't know. I am a lawyer, but I am not aware of whether or not the public is allowed to purchase it or if it strictly for my profession. I figured since Lexis is in it for the money, and anybody can purchase their other products, that this product was no exception - but I haven't looked into it

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,683 times
I had lost contact with an old friend, I used USSearch to find her phone #. They found it, and it only cost me $1.95. I was very happy.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM

12 posts, read 38,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
I had lost contact with an old friend, I used USSearch to find her phone #. They found it, and it only cost me $1.95. I was very happy.
You guys see? I told you those services are cool Intelius and US Search are the way to go, DO NOT DEAL WITH ANY OTHER COMPANY (for now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search