Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Debit collectors can legally bug your neighbors. I had no idea this was legal. Today I got a phone call from a company I hadn't heard of. I answered the phone and the guy on the other end asked for me by name. Actually he said is this " ". I was pretty shocked and said yes. First mistake. He then felt he could start addressing me by my first name like were buds or something. He said he found me listed and says I am a neighbor to so and so. He asked me if I could get in touch with so and so and let that person know he was trying to contact them. I asked what this was regarding and he said a personal business matter AKA bill collector. I told him that I do not know my neighbors since I am new to the area which is true but I do know of the neighbor he was referring too. This pissed me off. So I looked it up to see if was legal and it is! I think this wrong. I know some of you may say that if the neighbor owes the money then it doesn't matter but I do not agree. I know by law I can request not to be bugged again but the guy quickly hung up before I could say this. I just think its wrong to involve neighbors into debt collection.
Wow, I would tear that guy up! If he calls again tell him the neighbor died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
UPDATE

Okay, I think I might have figured out what is going on and it makes me kind of sad and a little creeped out because I feel I might know something that I shouldnt yet. I think they are losing their house. I totally forgot that about 2 weeks ago a mini van pulled up in front of my house. We live in a sub that is pretty private so anyone that drives through here, either lives here or knows someone. The driver of the mini van snapped a photo of the house across the street where the neighbor lives that I got the phone call about. I was out front cutting my grass and the driver eye balled me for a long time. Then I saw him jot something down. It bothered me but I figured he was a real estate appraiser since a house a few doors down just sold.

But since I got that phone call, I have to admit I have been noticing things. I feel like some busy body. Over the weekend they moved some beds out and a sofa with their van. The wife and kids have not been back. The husband comes home very late a night and leaves first thing in the morning. The grass needs cutting and getting rough looking. Totally out of character since this house was always looked after. So either the husband and wife broke up or they are loosing the house and he comes back home to spend time with the dog. I have a feeling that call I got was from the mortgage company and the guy that snapped the photo jotted down my address because I was outside. Maybe that is how they do things with pre foreclosures? Maybe the mortgage company calls the neighbors looking for info? I dunno. Sad either way.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
UPDATE

Okay, I think I might have figured out what is going on and it makes me kind of sad and a little creeped out because I feel I might know something that I shouldnt yet. I think they are losing their house. I totally forgot that about 2 weeks ago a mini van pulled up in front of my house. We live in a sub that is pretty private so anyone that drives through here, either lives here or knows someone. The driver of the mini van snapped a photo of the house across the street where the neighbor lives that I got the phone call about. I was out front cutting my grass and the driver eye balled me for a long time. Then I saw him jot something down. It bothered me but I figured he was a real estate appraiser since a house a few doors down just sold.

But since I got that phone call, I have to admit I have been noticing things. I feel like some busy body. Over the weekend they moved some beds out and a sofa with their van. The wife and kids have not been back. The husband comes home very late a night and leaves first thing in the morning. The grass needs cutting and getting rough looking. Totally out of character since this house was always looked after. So either the husband and wife broke up or they are loosing the house and he comes back home to spend time with the dog. I have a feeling that call I got was from the mortgage company and the guy that snapped the photo jotted down my address because I was outside. Maybe that is how they do things with pre foreclosures? Maybe the mortgage company calls the neighbors looking for info? I dunno. Sad either way.
As sad as that is, please keep an eye out on this. I've been hearing horror stories of animals being left behind to starve. With the vast number of foreclosures around, the mortgage companies aren't "Johnny on the spot" in dealing with the foreclosed home for sometimes months.

Since there is a dog involved, I'd get involved, and tell him you got a call. And don't feel bad for being nosy. When something like is called to your attention, you naturally get more curious....

Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
As sad as that is, please keep an eye out on this. I've been hearing horror stories of animals being left behind to starve. With the vast number of foreclosures around, the mortgage companies aren't "Johnny on the spot" in dealing with the foreclosed home for sometimes months.

Since there is a dog involved, I'd get involved, and tell him you got a call. And don't feel bad for being nosy. When something like is called to your attention, you naturally get more curious....
I agree and actually my husband and I just had this same conversation about the dog. BUt I will not be getting involved unless I see someone stop going over there completely. They seem to be the type that never should have gotten a dog anyway. You could tell by the way they were training it or should I say, lack of. They are alright people, don't really know them. I heard from the other neighbor that used to talk to them all the time, that the dog never quite got house trained. So if that dog is left alone all day, I can only image what the inside of that house is looking like. I have been through repo houses that looked like hell due to previous pet damage. I sincerely hope I am wrong about all of it.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:05 PM

355 posts, read 911,497 times
I collect for student loans, and yes technically we are allowed to all neighbors but as has been pointed out there is a very very very thin line as to what can be said. The person calling the OP was acting illegaly because you are not allowed to leave a message trying to make contact.

Things that used to slide during collection processes are now illegal and are enforced. Courts are consistently siding with debtors now rather than collection agents. Its a whole different ball game regarding collections. I work at a larger company so we see the changes first but they will eventually trickle down to the entire industry.

Debtors are being protected to the fullest. New York City is the worst about making sure debtors are protected. They will not even let collectors talk to spouses.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsheely View Post
Things that used to slide during collection processes are now illegal and are enforced. Courts are consistently siding with debtors now rather than collection agents. Its a whole different ball game regarding collections. I work at a larger company so we see the changes first but they will eventually trickle down to the entire industry.

Debtors are being protected to the fullest. New York City is the worst about making sure debtors are protected. They will not even let collectors talk to spouses.
Your industry has no one to blame but themselves. They acted like a bunch wanna-be mobsters until the FDCPA came down the pike and even then they've continued to thumb their noses at the law, so now they're getting hit with record levels of lawsuits and it won't be long until the laws become much more stringent with steeper penalties.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
I agree and actually my husband and I just had this same conversation about the dog. BUt I will not be getting involved unless I see someone stop going over there completely. They seem to be the type that never should have gotten a dog anyway. You could tell by the way they were training it or should I say, lack of. They are alright people, don't really know them. I heard from the other neighbor that used to talk to them all the time, that the dog never quite got house trained. So if that dog is left alone all day, I can only image what the inside of that house is looking like. I have been through repo houses that looked like hell due to previous pet damage. I sincerely hope I am wrong about all of it.
Speaking as someone who has ten cats we've essentially rescued, I know..... I think it's sad there are very many children who get less love and attention than my kitties. Bless you for keeping an eye out for the doggy.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
I wouldn't wait for that to happen. In summer heat it doesn't take an animal long to dehydrate to death. I would check every day. Ring the doorbell. Don't be shy. It's not like you're going to be living next door to them much longer anyway. Also notify the local humane society of a potential abandonment/cruelty situation.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:47 AM

355 posts, read 911,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Your industry has no one to blame but themselves. They acted like a bunch wanna-be mobsters until the FDCPA came down the pike and even then they've continued to thumb their noses at the law, so now they're getting hit with record levels of lawsuits and it won't be long until the laws become much more stringent with steeper penalties.
I agree, I've been in the industry only about 3 years but works with many old timers who let habits die hard. Yes people went way way overboard, but debtors lie and its hard to get money collected.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Debit collectors can legally bug your neighbors. I had no idea this was legal. Today I got a phone call from a company I hadn't heard of. I answered the phone and the guy on the other end asked for me by name. Actually he said is this " ". I was pretty shocked and said yes. First mistake. He then felt he could start addressing me by my first name like were buds or something. He said he found me listed and says I am a neighbor to so and so. He asked me if I could get in touch with so and so and let that person know he was trying to contact them. I asked what this was regarding and he said a personal business matter AKA bill collector. I told him that I do not know my neighbors since I am new to the area which is true but I do know of the neighbor he was referring too. This pissed me off. So I looked it up to see if was legal and it is! I think this wrong. I know some of you may say that if the neighbor owes the money then it doesn't matter but I do not agree. I know by law I can request not to be bugged again but the guy quickly hung up before I could say this. I just think its wrong to involve neighbors into debt collection.
Third party debt collectors are governed by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you want them to stop calling you/work/neighbors, all you have to do is send them a certified letter, return receipt requested telling them not to. They have to stop or they are in violation of the law.

Now the people you OWE the debt to (not third party) are not governed by the FDCPA and they can do pretty much anything they want as long as it does not break other laws.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance