Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,580 times

Advertisements

Here's the scenario, about a year ago I loan $60k to my dad, who was going to invest the money to buy gold overseas. He wanted more money to invest, so in a matter of 6 months or so I lend him another $40k (Cash deposits).

He has not touch the money and is still in his savings account. He was affair of losing the money, so he didn't invest it. Here's the kicker, he wanted to move out from his apartment and into another place, so I helped him run his credit and HOLY S**%, it looks like he will have to BK.

His profile:
Yearly Income: 32k
Credit Card Debt: $65k (Min. Mo. Payment $1500)
Total monthly expense: $2600
Total net monthly income: $2000

He's been living like this for years, using one card to pay another or doing side jobs to get by.

The first $60k I do have a contract signed and notarized with him dated a year ago, but the $40k I do not. He will give me back the money, so I'm not worried about that however, if he files for BK, is the judge going to question the $100K transfer?

What should i do? Should I be worried?
I will consult with a BK attorney, but thought I would ask this forum first.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,236 times
Definitely talk to an attorney. If he has the $100K, why doesn't he pay off his bills if they are $65K?

There is a "look back" period for most transfers. In other words, he can't give you the money back and then file bankruptcy-if the court finds it, they can still go after the money. And if it is in a savings account, they will most likely find it. If you have a signed contract, you will be in line with all the other unsecured creditors. With $100K in assets and only $65K in bills, he may not even qualify to file bankruptcy.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
The loan was foolish on so many levels.
1) Get the money back.
2) Buy your Dad some Dave Ramsey books.

Frank

Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
NEVER, EVER do business with relatives.

You are very likely to lose the $100k no matter what your legal rights. In any case the first $60k us an unsecured loan and the last $40 does not exist.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Ah, the " get rich quick scheme"

Bowwow someone else's money to invest and get rich quick.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Did you mean borrow or did you mean bowwow you lost?

In this case the Dad "borrowed" the money and stashed it in a bank instead of even trying to make the "magic" investment.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD8232 View Post
Here's the scenario, about a year ago I loan $60k to my dad, who was going to invest the money to buy gold overseas. He wanted more money to invest, so in a matter of 6 months or so I lend him another $40k (Cash deposits).

He has not touch the money and is still in his savings account. He was affair of losing the money, so he didn't invest it. Here's the kicker, he wanted to move out from his apartment and into another place, so I helped him run his credit and HOLY S**%, it looks like he will have to BK.

His profile:
Yearly Income: 32k
Credit Card Debt: $65k (Min. Mo. Payment $1500)
Total monthly expense: $2600
Total net monthly income: $2000

He's been living like this for years, using one card to pay another or doing side jobs to get by.

The first $60k I do have a contract signed and notarized with him dated a year ago, but the $40k I do not. He will give me back the money, so I'm not worried about that however, if he files for BK, is the judge going to question the $100K transfer?

What should i do? Should I be worried?
I will consult with a BK attorney, but thought I would ask this forum first.

Thanks.
Why would you waste your time asking on a public forum FIRST for such a serious legal issue. You should have already been to an attorney and gotten your money back OR just let Dad have the money and pay off all of his debt.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Man, some of you guys makes it sound like I already lost that money.
Well, I'm going to the bank today to get my money back.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Definitely talk to an attorney. If he has the $100K, why doesn't he pay off his bills if they are $65K?

There is a "look back" period for most transfers. In other words, he can't give you the money back and then file bankruptcy-if the court finds it, they can still go after the money. And if it is in a savings account, they will most likely find it. If you have a signed contract, you will be in line with all the other unsecured creditors. With $100K in assets and only $65K in bills, he may not even qualify to file bankruptcy.
Because it's my money?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 AM

680 posts, read 1,921,096 times
It is not YOUR money.

The first $60K was a loan.... Which made you a creditor that is owed $60K. The credit card companies are also creditors that are owed $65K.

If your dad pays you back the $60K before paying back the credit card companies, this shows preference. And you could be ordered to return the money you are paid back so all creditors get an equal piece of that $60K.

On the topic of the $40K "gift" that you gave to your dad... Did you pay your gift taxes on that money?

Without documentation, that money is your dad's now.... and if he transfers that money back to you, that could be looked upon as your dad giving you a gift of $40K... And in the light of his bankruptcy, this may be classified as a Fraudulent Transfer.

I suggest you talk to a BK attorney ASAP before you withdraw that money from your dad's account.

You have a huge paper trail (bank records) which is going to cause both you and your father a lot of grief!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance