Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:09 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

I know the answer is yes, but hear me out.

I've banked with citibank since i moved to NYC area. They had the most ATMs, and added 7/11 locations as Citi ATM locations, so i can even get decent access around the country without having to pay atm fees. ATM fees drive me nuts!

So after nearly 6 years, i've finally written check #150. i never write checks. my account has a combined balance requirement of $6,000 to avoid various fees and get certain perks. no problems since they have been pretty competitive on savings account interest most of the time (though have recently fallen behind).

So i call to order new checks. the account i signed up with included free checks. but i guess i switched my account at some point, or they did, and the account type that gives free checks no longer exists unless you're Citi "Gold" which has a $100,000 combined balance requirement (mortgage would count if i had it through them - great perks...too bad i'll never have $100,000 in savings and CDs with just citi!).

anyways, they wanted to charge me $25 for 120 checks! i'm sorry, but that's obscene. I have $6,000 in savings with them. I have a credit card that i use frequently. I have been direct depositing money for 6 years that they can make money off of. $25 for a book of checks? So i told them i'm going to have to consider going back to banking with my credit union because i can't see paying $25 for something i hardly use. Bank of America wanted to charge me $12 for new checks, so i told them nevermind a few weeks ago.

Anyways, they called me back and offered them to me for free, but I'm annoyed with the big box banks. what happened to taking care of your customers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Vote with your feet.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM

i plan on it slack, but the bad part is...you go from one to the other and they are all the same! lucky i have a credit union to turn to, but then i may end up paying lots of atm fees.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,971 times
OP,

You really haven't used checks much. With all the big banks that I dealt with, there were no free checks with basic checking accounts. But I usually got free checks by calling customer service. If they didn't offer, I just close the account.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Trivia - the MICR codes are for the convenience of the bank. I've used those "make yer own" checks with a regular laser printer, and found the banks had to add on the MICR strip on every check. After a few of those, they started sending free checks.

I'm the opposite of you though, I refuse to use ATMs.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Open an ING checking account. You can send paper checks online (type in a name/address/memo/amount and they mail the check for you). $0 minimum balance, $0 fees.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
OP,

You really haven't used checks much. With all the big banks that I dealt with, there were no free checks with basic checking accounts. But I usually got free checks by calling customer service. If they didn't offer, I just close the account.
no i haven't you are right! but i know the account i signed up with for CitiBank offered free checks. my credit union does (of course), and i find that local banks usually do. i used checks more 6+ years ago, so maybe i've just been lost and didn't realize everyone charges for it now.

but i did what you did - called customer service and got free ones.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Trivia - the MICR codes are for the convenience of the bank. I've used those "make yer own" checks with a regular laser printer, and found the banks had to add on the MICR strip on every check. After a few of those, they started sending free checks.

I'm the opposite of you though, I refuse to use ATMs.
why don't you use ATMs? fees?

Old 10-12-2010, 07:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
I get my checks (about 200 every 10yrs) from one of the internet check makers, like currents check-by-mail??? I think it was $6/for 200 of them. Took 2 or 3 weeek to get them. Just google checks and a bunch of companies will pop up, put in the Info from the bottom of your current checks, give them you next starting number, and you done...

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Open an ING checking account. You can send paper checks online (type in a name/address/memo/amount and they mail the check for you). $0 minimum balance, $0 fees.
I can top that.

Open an online checking account at Ally bank. You can send checks online and also get free physical checks. $0 minimum balance, $0 fees.

In addition, you can use any ATM and they reimburse any ATM fees at the billing cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance