Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:38 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My wife, MBA and financial genius, just laughed her ass off at your '10%.' Then chortled at your '8%.'
When I read Charles' post, I KNEW someone was going to say this.

All your comment proves is that people with MBAs can be just as ignorant as everyone else when it comes to investing.

There are plently of balanced mutual funds (60-65% stock & 35-40% bonds & cash) that have returned close to 8% or more over the last 15 years--a period of lousy stock market returns and slightly better than average bond market returns. Many of these funds are common options in 401K plans.

In some cases cheaper share classes (and thus, slightly better returns) may be available for some funds in 401k plans and/or accounts with high balances (e.g. Vanguard recently lowered it's minimum to $50,000 for its cheaper "Admiral" share class).

15 Year Returns for:

Dodge and Cox Balanced: 8.53%
T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation: 10.10%
Fidelity Balanced: 8.34%
Fidelity Puritan: 7.35%
Vanguard Balanced Index: 6.94%
Vanguard Star: 7.84%
Vanguard Wellington: 8.45%
FPA Crescent: 10.48%
Oakmark Equity and Income: 11.18%
American Funds American Balanced A: 7.78%
American Funds Income Fund of America A: 7.83%
Mairs and Power Balanced: 8.76%
Permanent Portfolio: 8.45%
Invesco Van Kampen Equity Income A: 8.80%
Manning & Napier Pro-Blend Extnd. Term S: 8.01%
Greenspring: 8.17%
Value Line Income & Growth: 9.06%
Bruce Fund: 14.11%
Leuthold Core Investment: 9.37%

Those listed below are more conservative than the others with roughly 60% bonds/cash & 40% stock.

Vanguard Wellesley Income: 7.77%
Berwyn Income: 7.96%

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-20-2010 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
thats how i got it up was when stock was low i bought stock then it went up and i got it into the 30's then it went back down so i moved it into the guaranteed interest account, so i wouldnt lose it all, then if something happens to my job i can take it out and do something else...
NO! NO! NO! Your 401K is not an unemployment fund. There's an additional pot of money required for that. Would you take money from your Social Security to start a business or use as unemployment? If the law allowed it, I suspect you would, despite it being a horrible idea.

You really shouldn't go into business for yourself with your current mindset.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
When I read Charles' post, I KNEW someone was going to say this.

All your comment proves is that people with MBAs can be just as ignorant as everyone else when it comes to investing.

There are plently of balanced mutual funds (60-65% stock & 35-40% bonds & cash) that have returned close to 8% or more over the last 15 years--a period of lousy stock market returns and slightly better than average bond market returns. Many of these funds are common options in 401K plans.

In some cases cheaper share classes (and thus, slightly better returns) may be available for some funds in 401k plans and/or accounts with high balances (e.g. Vanguard recently lowered it's minimum to $50,000 for its cheaper "Admiral" share class).

15 Year Returns for:

Dodge and Cox Balanced: 8.53%
T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation: 10.10%
Fidelity Balanced: 8.34%
Fidelity Puritan: 7.35%
Vanguard Balanced Index: 6.94%
Vanguard Star: 7.84%
Vanguard Wellington: 8.45%
FPA Crescent: 10.48%
Oakmark Equity and Income: 11.18%
American Funds American Balanced A: 7.78%
American Funds Income Fund of America A: 7.83%
Mairs and Power Balanced: 8.76%
Permanent Portfolio: 8.45%
Invesco Van Kampen Equity Income A: 8.80%
Manning & Napier Pro-Blend Extnd. Term S: 8.01%
Greenspring: 8.17%
Value Line Income & Growth: 9.06%
Bruce Fund: 14.11%
Leuthold Core Investment: 9.37%

Those listed below are more conservative than the others with roughly 60% bonds/cash & 40% stock.

Vanguard Wellesley Income: 7.77%
Berwyn Income: 7.96%

while i agree 100% about balanced funds doing very well,going forward will be alot different i suspect. bonds had an amazing run up as interest rates fell. going forward from these levels bonds may be a dead weight so im not expecting the same returns i had even from my own portfolios.

with cash at zero, short term bonds at barely anything and longer term bonds falling im figuring 4-6% going forward for my pre retirement portfolio and retirement planning.

stocks did rather well the last 15 years as i think 15 years ago we were in the 4-5,000 range on the dow. things performed even better then the indexes show. the failure of alot of huge companies sank the dow,wilshire and s&p 500. if your funds didnt hold those issues you did way better. did you know apple and google account for 25% of the nasdaq 100 ? if anything happened to those 2 the nasdaq would sink big time but if you didnt own those 2 you may see a blip in your portfolio.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-20-2010 at 04:08 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
I'd be interested to see the returns for last ten years on those funds

Old 12-20-2010, 08:40 AM

247 posts, read 576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this is exactley why long term the small investor left to his own devices never does as well as the markets do.then they complain the markets are rigged and you cant make money .

buying high and selling low or buying low and selling low are not ways to make money. if you think your going to sell low and then catch it lucky and buy back in before the turn around it aint happening . you have to guess rigtht 2x consistantly . when to sell and when to get back in.

you may get lucky once or twice but long term you will never keep getting it right.

if this was money that was supposed to cover you if you lost your job then this is not money that should be invested in the first place until you saved that emergency fund. thats 2 bad things you did.
emergency fund?? whats that??

Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 AM

512 posts, read 1,435,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil tatro View Post
emergency fund?? whats that??
You're joking, right?
Did your mom ever read you the story of the Ant and the Grasshopper when you were a kid?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
while i agree 100% about balanced funds doing very well,going forward will be alot different i suspect. bonds had an amazing run up as interest rates fell. going forward from these levels bonds may be a dead weight so im not expecting the same returns i had even from my own portfolios.

with cash at zero, short term bonds at barely anything and longer term bonds falling im figuring 4-6% going forward for my pre retirement portfolio and retirement planning.

stocks did rather well the last 15 years as i think 15 years ago we were in the 4-5,000 range on the dow. things performed even better then the indexes show. the failure of alot of huge companies sank the dow,wilshire and s&p 500. if your funds didnt hold those issues you did way better. did you know apple and google account for 25% of the nasdaq 100 ? if anything happened to those 2 the nasdaq would sink big time but if you didnt own those 2 you may see a blip in your portfolio.
The investment grade bond index returned 6.08% over the last 15 years, which is only a little above the long term average of 6%. I think 4-6% for bonds going forward is a reasonable expectation. I think people who have their bonds in global funds (Loomis Sayles Global Bond) or multisector funds will do better than that (Loomis Sayles Bond).

The S&P 500 was up 6.68% over the last 15 years, definitely below average. Yes, I know mid & small cap stocks did better. But consider over the next 15 yeas, large caps may have a better run than they did over the last 15 and may even outperform mid/small caps. Valuetions for large cap stocks are more reasonable than they were 15 years ago, that's for sure, so that puts the odds in favor of them doing at least a little better over the next 15 years, maybe doing 8%.

The better funds that I listed, will likely continue to outperform the market by a percentage point or two on their stock picks and match market returns on their bond picks...so while 8% may be difficult to achieve, it won't be iimpossible for the better managed funds with reasonable to low expense ratios. So 8% may be optimistic, but it's far from delusional.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
not delusional at all. as a potential retiree im preparing for the 4-6% range
but heck if long term we can do 8% why not......

the last 15 years saw bonds in all their glory as they started life far higher in rates and went lower reaping nice capital gains the last decade. now we are starting from the other end of the spectrum with little room for any capital gains.

since equities have had a pretty crappy decade it may be their turn to have nice gains and work back towards their historical returns.

typically up until now you could pull any 15 year time frame out of the last 75 years and the returns for a 50/50 mix were 7-8% consistantly.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
not delusional at all. as a potential retiree im preparing for the 4-6% range
but heck if long term we can do 8% why not.......
It's always better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around

Quote:
the last 15 years saw bonds in all their glory as they started life far higher in rates and went lower reaping nice capital gains the last decade. now we are starting from the other end of the spectrum with little room for any capital gains..
Really, bonds only did a little above average at 6.08%. Decent, but nothing to scream about. Obviously, a few top notch funds like PIMCO Total Return did a percentage point better and the Vanguard Bond Index fund did 6.46%. If interest rates go up, bond prices will be hit, but if you keep dollar cost averaging into them, you should do ok and you'll get better interest rates going forward, so 6% could definitely still happen over the next 15 years, although I agree it's a little too optiimistic.

Quote:
since equities have had a pretty crappy decade it may be their turn to have nice gains and work back towards their historical returns..
Right, that's what I was saying.

Quote:
typically up until now you could pull any 15 year time frame out of the last 75 years and the returns for a 50/50 mix were 7-8% consistantly.
Right, and that was my point to the poster who's wife "chortled" at the thought of 8% returns over the next 15 years. My point was you don't necessarily have to do anything fancy to get that 8%. Pick one of the better balanced funds. Put money in the fund on a regular basis (and some extra when the fund is down if you can) and you have a decent shot at getting 8%.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM

247 posts, read 576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
NO! NO! NO! Your 401K is not an unemployment fund. There's an additional pot of money required for that. Would you take money from your Social Security to start a business or use as unemployment? If the law allowed it, I suspect you would, despite it being a horrible idea.

You really shouldn't go into business for yourself with your current mindset.
I was not going to use my 401k as an umployment fund i AM hoping to use it to start a trucking business and move my family out of this state...What do you mean by my current mind set???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance