Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:29 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times

Advertisements

I'm debt free, helps to not get into debt in the first place.

Here is my god honest advice on debt.

1. stop buying stuff on credit, its a scam (interest adds up big time over time)

2. If you can't realistically pay off the consumer debt (anything but the student loan/mortgage) in 1 year or less then file bankruptcy.

3. If you can't afford the mortgage, then sell the house and move down. Most american houses are more than people realistically need anyways.

4. Students loans, well these you just have to pay off ASAP, no way around this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Sure if you want to discuss personal versus investment then its a different concept.

But the point is simply this, which would you rather have?

A. Assets producing no cash flow with a current value of $200,000 and no debt.
B. Assets producing positive and growing cash flow with a current value of $1 million and $600,000 of debt.
I'll take the $200K clear, with no interest, no debt servicing costs, no lienholders lurking with legal power to attach my assets, and no day-to-day necessity to successfully and profitably maintain my business liquidity.

And since this discussion is about starting at square-one, and not with a million in assets already presumed to have been earned, I would never go into a $600K debt on your promise that someday I'd have a guaranteed million dollar asset as a happy result, no matter how incompetent my business or investing skills..

So the point is not "simply" as you described it. Life would be so easy if everyone was a better-then-average businessman. Spoiler alert: You do not get $400K ahead on borrowed capital without some kind of risk exposure, and not everyone who tries it succeeds.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-25-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,083,597 times
Ditch the debt you can, start over, it will take you just as long to pay off the debt as it would to regain your credit standing. Interest rates will kill you. Put all the extra money in a shoe box under the bed until the collectors go away. Open a savings account after a few years. Good luck
Oh, and don't buy anything else unless you NEED it, no wants for several years unless it's under $5, like a good cup of coffee.
The good thing about Capitalism is they forgive bad debt after a few years because they need you to be a consumer.

Above all: Change bad habits, read good books, learn from it and you will be happy once again.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 AM

22 posts, read 47,253 times
This is right up my alley...

The key word here for you is budget.

Make a complete list of all of your debts, include everyday expenses, such as gas.. at the bottom you will have a number for your monthly debt column.

Make a T-Bar.. spread sheet:

Debt Name - Budget - Actual - +/-

you have four columns... make one for each month

example:

rent 500 500 0
phone 200 100 100
credit card 50 100 -50
=========================
750 700 +50 This plus amount is money you budgeted, but did not use, use
this 50 for payment towards another debt. In your list, you need to make sure you include, gas, groceries and little things
right down to the penny... you will be amazed when you get this filled out. I had set our budget up exactly like this, included EVERY penny we made and we are and have been completely debt free, yet I still stick to my budget for grocery, etc... The savings accounts have grown.

Find out how much you bring home each month, use that as the amount going out... use a line for savings, that way you are now a bill also... it may take awhile, but... once you have it laid out, you will like it.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
If you take the above advice then do not assume any more debt as the interest rate will really kill you.Bascially the key is what you see people doing now plus changing your use of debt to your advantage in the future.Then you will be the well qualified borrower gettig that 0% interst auto loan while using what you would have paid to build more welath. You also will be the one saving huge amount when you fiance a home especaily with the changes coming which will either eliminate your as a homebuyer or cost you dearly in the long term interest payments and mortagge insurance. Credit is not the problem as the weathiest use it all the time as well as busineses. Its the use to your advanatge that matter in your life.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,083,597 times
I got a 0% interest loan, as a matter of fact my loan gave me interest until I bought my car with cash.
I simply loaned my self the money out of my savings. I made a car payment to my self for 2 years and wallah, cash for a new car, interest plus!!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Sure if you want to discuss personal versus investment then its a different concept.

But the point is simply this, which would you rather have?

A. Assets producing no cash flow with a current value of $200,000 and no debt.
B. Assets producing positive and growing cash flow with a current value of $1 million and $600,000 of debt.
Your dead on when it comes to investements. I am just thinking that within this thread the OP is meaning consumer debt, maybe a personal residence, a car and paying off student loans. Sure I will take that debt with the income. That is not bad debt to have. Consumer debt or debt that doesn't make any money are to be avoided if possible.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I got a 0% interest loan, as a matter of fact my loan gave me interest until I bought my car with cash.
I simply loaned my self the money out of my savings. I made a car payment to my self for 2 years and wallah, cash for a new car, interest plus!!!!
This is what I do as well. I save up every month putting money into investments as sort of an upfront car loan, then when I have enough to buy my car, I cash in and buy my car for cash, then I start the process all over again.
People say they can't afford to buy a car for cash but yet can afford a car payment to a bank for 3,4, or 5 years makes no sense. If you can afford the monthly car payment to a bank, you can afford the monthly car payment upfront to yourself. Why pay a bank interest after you buy, when you can pay yourself ahead of time and have someone pay you interest instead. An added benefit is the repo man can't take that brand new car away from you. You own it.
To the OP, you are young and lots of younger people are in debt. As you get older and make more you can climb your way out of it. Good luck.

Last edited by kanhawk; 02-25-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your dead on when it comes to investements. . . . Sure I will take that debt with the income. That is not bad debt to have.
Has Willy702 guaranteed you that if you take the 600K debt, you'll make the million? How does he back it up? Do you trust his assurances that it will work out for you? How many of us can Willy float, if our investment of our borrowed start-up doesn't yield the results he has promised?

Maybe Willy is so sure of himself, that he will wire-transfer me the $600K, so I can invest it and make the million he is so sure I will earn. I promise to pay him back when I hit the million mark. Really, I do.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,891,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Has Willy702 guaranteed you that if you take the 600K debt, you'll make the million? How does he back it up? Do you trust his assurances that it will work out for you? How many of us can Willy float, if our investment of our borrowed start-up doesn't yield the results he has promised?

Maybe Willy is so sure of himself, that he will wire-transfer me the $600K, so I can invest it and make the million he is so sure I will earn. I promise to pay him back when I hit the million mark. Really, I do.
Why don't you do it yourself? Why would I or any sane person invest in anyone with a fearful mindset who wouldn't take a calculated risk?

Sure this is related to investments, but its a mindset. A mindset that has people believe paying down a mortgage is such a wonderful thing. I personally think its a stupid thing and get berated for saying such things. But I always get back to thinking how did we get a populated with such poor education? They really sleep better making an investment which they can't easily access and rarely generates a positive return compared to their other choices. Yet they have the nerve to tell me they are doing smart things with their finances. What happens if these people lose their jobs and the next payment comes due and they can't make it? Can they ask their bank nicely to give them back the extra principal so they can keep current on their payments?

I guess they are probably right because they are too financially illiterate to to figure out how to safely invest money that earns a return which beats low-rate mortgage interest which they are probably are getting a tax deduction on. Better not to tempt yourself, give the bank (or more likely your mortgage servicer) your extra savings and have them reduce their risk in your loan. They ABSOLUTELY love you for it and show their love by charging you $10 a month to keep your money in their institution and charge you 15-25% on your credit cards when they can borrow money at less than 1%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance